developments in cork

Re: developments in cork

Postby rebel_city » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:49 pm

I totally agree with having another thread for Cork Transport issues. I'm based in Dublin, but everyday I check this site to see what's going on back home. The more vocal people are about certain issues then the better the chance of them gaining momentum.

As for the NRA pulling funding for the additional fly-overs - what a joke! Forward planning people! Hmmm..lets see, in a couple of years they'll say oh traffic has moved from the Kinsale roundabout to Sarsfield, so lets build a fly-over there...etc!

Thirdly, what's going on up at the airport? Thought is was opening last October, then May! I've been looking at the Cork Airport website and there's barely a mention of the new airport. etc., it's a really poor website. A new site should be put up to coinside with the new terminal.
rebel_city

Postby phatman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:00 pm

[quote="Pug"]I think this deserves a thread of its own, not because I think it doesnt fit here but because I think people have so much to say about transport issues in cork... QUOTE]

True, but aren't we wandering a bit away from the architecture side of things here? But if no-one else has any oblections...
phatman

Postby phatman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:02 pm

[quote="Pug"]I think this deserves a thread of its own, not because I think it doesnt fit here but because I think people have so much to say about transport issues in cork... [quote]

True, but aren't we wandering a bit away from the architecture side of things here? But if no-one else has any oblections...
phatman

Postby Pug » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:42 pm

phatman wrote:

a comment so good you had to post it twice...

I entirely agree, this site is for architecture really but if someone has an alternate site to throw up a thread on transport and add in a link here then we would be set
Pug

Postby PVC King » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:48 pm

Will cut and paste links to the major issues and previous contributions from this thread on Saturday if thats ok; nuts in the office at the mo
PVC King

Postby kite » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:52 pm

:D Cork City Manager, Mr. Joe Gavin oversaw many tremendous developments in Cork over the past 6 years of his leadership of our city. He also rubberstamped some disasters in the city that we may pay dearly for in the future. I feel we however in fairness we should wish him well for tomorrow when a decision on the appointment of the position of Dublin City Manager is announced?
kite

Postby phatman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:40 pm

Pug wrote:a comment so good you had to post it twice...

Lol, but is there any way to delete a post??I couldn't seem to...anyway, I gotta agree with Kite in wishing Mr. Gavin the very best of luck tomorrow.

Also, took a wander past the School of Music site today and couldn't get over the progress that is finally being made there, making up for lost time I reckon. Surprised there hasn't been any discussion of late about it on here.
phatman

Postby bosco » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:05 am

rebel_city wrote:Thirdly, what's going on up at the airport? Thought is was opening last October, then May! I've been looking at the Cork Airport website and there's barely a mention of the new airport. etc., it's a really poor website. A new site should be put up to coinside with the new terminal.

Cork is really getting screwed from every angle. I've often wondered why the three airports had such a poor web presence, but lately it appears that the DAA website and those of Dublin and Shannon airports have been completely redesigned. Cork airport's website however is still the shambles it has been for years.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9070-2209563,00.html

DAA’s new look

When you are set to make €200m (or much, much more) from selling off a few hotels, spending €50,000 must seem like small potatoes. But it’s money well spent by the Dublin Airport Authority, which has upgraded its online presence from the internet equivalent of a down-at-heel pound shop.

The clunky old site has been replaced with snazzy new sites for the DAA (dublinairport authority.com) and the capital’s airport (dublinairport.com), designed by Irish web designers Red Sky. Shannon has also got in on the act with a sexy new internet presence, but Cork airport remains lumbered with the same ugly old site.

Maybe money’s a bit tight in the south since every last bob was spent on Cork’s new gold-plated terminal.
bosco

Postby Pug » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:19 am

kite wrote::D Cork City Manager, Mr. Joe Gavin oversaw many tremendous developments in Cork - I feel we however in fairness we should wish him well for tomorrow when a decision on the appointment of the position of Dublin City Manager is announced

if Joe doesnt get it does he has to leave the Cork job anyway? its not exactly a tribute to his enthusiasm for applying to leave is it? Nice salary for the Dublin job though, €150,000 to €200,000. And the other final candidate he is up against is the guy that took over from him in galway when he moved to cork!

more scarily, does anyone have a top 3 candidates to take over from Joe in Cork?
Pug

Postby kite » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:41 am

[quote="Pug"]if Joe doesnt get it does he has to leave the Cork job anyway? its not exactly a tribute to his enthusiasm for applying to leave is it?

and more scarily, does anyone have a top 3 candidates to take over from Joe in Cork?

:o Mr. Gavin sought and received an extension to his contract as city manager last year.
I agree that he may have to leave Cork even if he does not get the job of Dublin City Manager as applying for the job coupled with the Local Government Ombudsman investigation into his management style and decisions makes him a lame duck.
kite

Postby jdivision » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:00 pm

If Joe Tierney gets Dublin job, then Fingal will be free and Gavin could take that
jdivision

Postby kite » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:28 pm

Pug wrote:if Joe doesnt get it does he has to leave the Cork job anyway? its not exactly a tribute to his enthusiasm for applying to leave is it? Nice salary for the Dublin job though, €150,000 to €200,000. And the other final candidate he is up against is the guy that took over from him in galway when he moved to cork!

more scarily, does anyone have a top 3 candidates to take over from Joe in Cork?

;)
The Cork City Managers job will be advertised by the Public Appointments Commission if or when Joe Gavin departs Cork.
The frontrunner to succeed him within City Hall would be Dan Buggy; it would be difficult to see anyone else in the City Hall getting the job.
I would like to see ex Dublin City Manager John Fitzgerald returning to Cork as manager if he is not going to retire fully from public life; he did wonders for Dublin over the past few years.
kite

Postby PVC King » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:43 pm

bosco wrote:Cork is really getting screwed from every angle. I've often wondered why the three airports had such a poor web presence, but lately it appears that the DAA website and those of Dublin and Shannon airports have been completely redesigned. [/url]

Hello there Bosco

Unfortunately there is a huge difference between design and delivery as the air-bridges in ORK sadly testify
PVC King

Postby kite » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:53 pm

Did Joe Gavin get the Dublin City manager job?, was at a meeting all afternoon so i did not get to hear any news.
kite

Cornmarket Street Renewal

Postby lexington » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:32 am

:o The much needed and highly anticipated renewal of Cornmarket Street as a primary extension of the retail/commercial core took a step closer to realisation today as Cork City Council have officially opened tenders on the provision of professional Architectural/Engineering services related to the design and implementation of the vital scheme.

The tender abstract reads:

Design Services for the development of an urban design for Cornmarket Street, Cork, including an implementation strategy and detailed design of pavements, lighting, street furniture, landscaping and other features.Cornmarket Street is a mixed use market Street in the centre of the compact commercial core of Cork City. It is situated between the old Historic Centre and the main commercial centre and is located on the island formed by the north and south channels of the river Lee. This street historically and to this present day caters for small independent on-street traders mixed with well established business premises. The Street is currently the focus for an expansion of the central shopping area and has a long tradition of a street market cooexisting with other uses.

The deadline for application is July 7th 2006 - it opens up the prospect for engagement and accommodation in creating a unique and distinctive streetscape for what will be a core commercial area in Ireland's second city.

Already signs of renewal are in place with the redevelopment of the Guy & Co. site steadily (very steadily) proceeding at the hands of Rockfell Investments (designed by Frank Ennis & Associates) and which will realise over 120,000sq ft of retail space with 65 overhead apartments.

The acquisition of premises currently housing The Loft Furniture Store and The Coal Quay (i.e. the former City Market) by supposedly Joe O'Donovan also open the prospect of further higher-order retail development - however any development here will have to the pay the utmost respect to the truly beautiful Cornmarket Street facade. Also, the recent purchase of the 0.5acre site at Kyrl's Quay by Murrayforde Developments (the RH Parker site) and advent of Cork City Council's sale of the "Phillips" site fronting Kyrl's Quay sets options on further retail and mixed-use accommodation in motion.

A currently vacant site between the former City Market building and the Paintwell Building (beside the Bodega Bar) is another location ripe for development - the in-fill nature of such a project offers a substantial planning gain to the street, but should be provided with the retention and provision of improved public walkway/connections to North Main Street. A complimentary development site exists just off Cornmarket Street at Dalton's Avenue with the presence of a Floral Distribution warehouse. Smart minds interested in this site will be sure to develop this location with consideration to the access point on the lane to the Cornmarket Street development by Rockfell Investments, therefore opening to pedestrian traffic through the scheme. An enhancement of Dalton's Avenue should be high on the Cork City Council agenda - allowing an improved realm for residents of the beautiful Corporation Houses (which should continue to form a pivotal sense of this area's character) and allowing the area become more attractive to pedestrians.
lexington
Old Master

Postby kite » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:00 am

[quote="bosco"]Cork is really getting screwed from every angle. I've often wondered why the three airports had such a poor web presence, but lately it appears that the DAA website and those of Dublin and Shannon airports have been completely redesigned. Cork airport's website however is still the shambles it has been for years.

:mad: Something needs to be done about the fiasco that is Cork Airport and the CAA.
At the height of the summer season Easy Jet and Ryanair are pulling flights out of Cork.
Today’s Irish Examiner reports that]http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=5651-qqqx=1.asp[/url]

On the subject of websites, check out the Cork website compared to one of its connected airports, Nice, France.
Someone has to be accountable for the embarrassment that is Cork Airport, heads should roll??

http://www.cork-airport.com/AR_Cork/live/Lv_pres_GenTemplate.asp?strPage_Name=CK_Home

http://www.nice.aeroport.fr/include/default.asp?l=2
kite

Postby kite » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:26 am

:confused: Is Cork going to have a lame duck manager for the foreseeable future?
John Tierney has been offered the job of Dublin City Manager.
kite

Postby kite » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:43 am

:cool: The Cork Docklands Economic Study reports that the co-location of a third level institution in the Docklands will enhance the opportunity for employers to forge links with third level institutions.
While these links would be built and strengthened by both UCC and CIT, the actual presence of a third level campus would help promote the area to investors.
A 120,000m2 campus would accommodate of the order of 7,870 students along with academic, technical and administrative staff in the Docklands. This would enhance the demand for residential and other commercial uses in the area. It would also add to the vibrancy of the Docklands during both the day and night time.
The development of a campus is an immediate demand of UCC and thus could be potentially developed within the short to medium term. If located in the Docklands, then it would act to accelerate the development of the area.
kite

Postby THE_Chris » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:46 pm

mmm I dunno about putting another campus there.... seems a waste of prime land to me.

Put a new college further out.
THE_Chris

Postby Radioactiveman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:07 am

The manager of Fingal County Council, John Tierney, has been selected to succeed John Fitzgerald as Dublin City manager, according to the Irish Times. Current Cork City Manager Joe Gavin had also been in the running for the position. It is unsure how this decision will affect Mr. gavin's current position in Cork.
Radioactiveman

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:07 pm

Mr Gavin is a civil servant and it is quite normal to apply for 'better' jobs in the civil service without prejudicing your current position. Unlike the private sector, the recruitment process is transparent. If anything the fact that he applied and was selected for an interview should be seen as encouraging for both him and the job he is doing.
d_d_dallas

Postby POM » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:16 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:Mr Gavin is a civil servant and it is quite normal to apply for 'better' jobs in the civil service without prejudicing your current position. Unlike the private sector, the recruitment process is transparent. If anything the fact that he applied and was selected for an interview should be seen as encouraging for both him and the job he is doing.

I agree. It is only natural he seek to move up the scale, I wouldnt necessarily regard that as a sign of apathy with relation to the Cork city manager job. Personally I am glad to see him stay in Cork for another few years at least. His short-listing for the Dublin job this time round will undoubtedly stand to him should he choose to go for it next time round. Now if he can just get this docklands thing moving full swing that will be a credit which will certainly boost his prospects up another few notches.
POM

Postby kite » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:57 pm

:cool: Cork city Manager, Mr.Joe Gavin signed a compulsory purchase order last Thursday for the Cork Showgrounds plus a number of acres to the rear of Parc Ui Caoimh.
CCC as landlords wish to recover these lands to help kick-start the Docklands developments. The lands, if the CPO is successful will be used for a number of amenity purposes but not a convention centre as the managers preferred site for such a centre remains the site at Kent Station.
kite

Postby lexington » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:46 am

Should have a few bits and bobs soon - away for a wee while although I'm sure if the weather isn't pretty I may pop back on.

Cork City Council's CPO of the Showgrounds lease is an interesting one. It seems Fleming Construction (among others) may not be as lucky as they wished with this prime site. But time is a funny thing.
lexington
Old Master

Postby Micko » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:22 am

Blazin accross the Examiner this morning about the GAA purchase of some of the show grounds behind Pairc Ui Caoimh. Anyone know exactly what the GAA have in for Pairc Caoimh,

I've heard of a 2nd tier being built where the covered stand it now and for the entire stadium to be roofed.
Micko

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland