developments in cork

Re: Cork: Architecture & Development

Postby corcaighboy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:01 pm

great to have you back Lex. Seriously, this is a great site and thanks to you, RM, and all the regular posters, and to Paul at HQ. A great resource for info from afar. Just to let you know that it is certainly appreciated on my side of the pond.
Interestingly, was looking at Cork and Dublin on Google Earth...seems like they have the major cities covered (partially at least). Well worth checking out if you guys get the chance.
corcaighboy

Postby lexington » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:11 pm

corcaighboy wrote:great to have you back Lex. Seriously, this is a great site and thanks to you, RM, and all the regular posters, and to Paul at HQ. A great resource for info from afar. Just to let you know that it is certainly appreciated on my side of the pond.
Interestingly, was looking at Cork and Dublin on Google Earth...seems like they have the major cities covered (partially at least). Well worth checking out if you guys get the chance.

Thanks corcaighboy - that really does mean a lot, and I'm sure all those who so very importantly contribute to this thread and to the headhonchos that keep this site so valuably alive are always pleased and appreciative to hear such words! :)

I agree, the Google Earth resource is a most interesting resource - it may be a little out of date, but it certainly is addictive and wonderful to behold.

The next few weeks and months look set to bring some very interesting developments and additions to the Cork architectural scene so I'm looking forward very much to seeing them evolve. Academy Street isn't too far away with a lodgement believed to be set for late September/early October - plus plans to link the retail centres at Paul Street and Cornmarket Street look set to again be on the cards. You may remember a few months back I indicated that Paul Street SC was in line for a complete overhaul - well, from what I've heard since I returned, that indeed looks set to be true. As far as I know, and I am open to correction on this, 2008 looks set to be the completion date for the new linked and refurbished complexes in their entirety for Cornmarket, Paul and Academy Streets.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parnell Place Hotel Plan

:) Also, I was delighted to hear that Monaghan-based Pitwood Ltd have lodged (at long last) their Further Information (Revised Plans) for the almost famous site at 17/18 Parnell Place and Beasley Street. The site, owned by Corbett Bros., saw plans lodged last December for a 5-storey, 121-bedroom hotel with underground car-park and basement spa. The plans for the luxury hotel saw Further Information requested of them last February by CCC - seeking an address on issues including those of height at the southern elevation and its impact on 93 South Mall (a PS). This site has been subject to numerous planning applications and left vacant for years - the big thing about it are the facades at Parnell Place (both PS) at No.17/18. An image is linked below and compliments of d_d_dallas - the site is to the rear and the development will tastefully incorporate these facades (after they receive badly needed treatment). I haven't seen the Significant Further Information yet, as I was away, but I felt the original plan was good and hopefully the impact on 93 South Mall has been successfully addressed. Further Info was received on the 20th of July 2005 and has a due date set for the 16th of August 2005. Now, hopefully, long overdue work can begin on refurbishing the aforementioned facades. Niall Fitzsimons & Co. are the Consulting Engineers on the project.

Parnell Place Facades - posted by d_d_dallas
lexington
Old Master

Postby mickeydocs » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:55 pm

lexington wrote:Thanks corcaighboy - that really does mean a lot, and I'm sure all those who so very importantly contribute to this thread and to the headhonchos that keep this site so valuably alive are always pleased and appreciative to hear such words! :)

I agree, the Google Earth resource is a most interesting resource - it may be a little out of date, but it certainly is addictive and wonderful to behold.

The next few weeks and months look set to bring some very interesting developments and additions to the Cork architectural scene so I'm looking forward very much to seeing them evolve. Academy Street isn't too far away with a lodgement imminent - plus plans to link the retail centres at Paul Street and Cornmarket Street look set to again be on the cards. You may remember a few months back I indicated that Paul Street SC was in line for a complete overhaul - well, from what I've heard since I returned, that indeed looks set to be true. As far as I know, and I am open to correction on this, 2008 looks set to be the completion date for the new linked and refurbished complexes in their entirety for Cornmarket, Paul and Academy Streets.

ocp are also looking to include the North Main Street shopping centre in their upgrade/academy street plans!
mickeydocs

Postby altuistic » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:08 pm

lexington wrote:
The next few weeks and months look set to bring some very interesting developments and additions to the Cork architectural scene so I'm looking forward very much to seeing them evolve. Academy Street isn't too far away with a lodgement imminent - plus plans to link the retail centres at Paul Street and Cornmarket Street look set to again be on the cards. You may remember a few months back I indicated that Paul Street SC was in line for a complete overhaul - well, from what I've heard since I returned, that indeed looks set to be true. As far as I know, and I am open to correction on this, 2008 looks set to be the completion date for the new linked and refurbished complexes in their entirety for Cornmarket, Paul and Academy Streets.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes i agree that this (Academy St) will be an "interesting" development as you put it, most certainly it could provide a very important element to the city centre but what i'll be watching for in particular is the impact such a large building will have on such an important and historic quarter of our city. this huge building seems to be laced with and touching important architectural buildings like the steps outside that corner bar on Pana and is near the Crawford. Also the view from Emmett Place will be very visible and I am concerned that a poor design will adversely affect this area. I am counting heavily on a strong and good design is submitted. also the old Cork Examiner offices along Academy street are very unique and historic too, a little ugly, but the detail seems rare and important. The building such do its best to compliment them.

as for the links? How exactly to the intendto link Academy street with Paul Street and Cornmarket street and Northmain street shopping centres??? Underground?? I cant imagine any over street links. This would be disastrous for the street scapes. Also if its underground especially from Paul street to Academy Street how could such a sensitive street area be affected? I would presume the link would go under Pauls Lane, maybe under Matthews centre (my son tells me they are seeking to redevelop soon? any truth in this?) and across to Academy Street? If this is the case this may explain why the corporation are hesitating to fix the awful road works damage that has plagued Half Moon Street for years. It was a lovely new pedestrian area and is now ripped up with cheap tarmac filling and potholes.
altuistic

Ford Motor Co. Docklands Site for Sale

Postby lexington » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:50 pm

:o It would seem masterplans that were believed to have been assessed by the Ford Motor Co. for their 11-acre docklands site in the Marina Park area have been shelved and the land now (across the road to the north from the Munster Agricultural Showgrounds) looks set to be put on the market - this important site is expected to fetch in the region of 20m euros for the motor company and will offer any prospective developer one of the most important docklands site in Cork ever to hit the market. The development potential is huge and will require substantial investment - however educational/institutional uses have been touted. Of course this will be subject to negotiation. The site is one of the largest single land holdings in the central docklands area to come available.

lexington
Old Master

Re: Ford Motor Co. Docklands Site for Sale

Postby mickeydocs » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:56 pm

lexington wrote::o It would seem masterplans that were believed to have been assessed by the Ford Motor Co. for their 11-acre docklands site in the Marina Park area have been shelved and the land now (across the road to the north from the Munster Agricultural Showgrounds) looks set to be put on the market - this important site is expected to fetch in the region of 20m euros for the motor company and will offer any prospective developer one of the most important docklands site in Cork ever to hit the market. The development potential is huge and will require substantial investment - however educational/institutional uses have been touted. Of course this will be subject to negotiation. The site is one of the largest single land holdings in the central docklands area to come available.

This project would represent the end of an era for the Marina, away from manufacturing and onwards to bigger and better things.

This area of the city has so much undeveloped potential... riverside walk, mature treescaped, an within easy reach of the city.

Pity about the esb power plant though.
mickeydocs

Postby lexington » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:22 pm

mickeydocs wrote:This project would represent the end of an era for the Marina, away from manufacturing and onwards to bigger and better things.

This area of the city has so much undeveloped potential... riverside walk, mature treescaped, an within easy reach of the city.

Pity about the esb power plant though.

It would certainly be a vital step. CCC are currently tendering for consultants on preparation of a South Docklands Area Plan, similar to the one already published for the Northern Docklands. The successful developer for the Ford site will undoubtedly be subject to some of the guidelines CCC intend to initiate here - however, given empirical developments, I would hope they will afford imagination and flexibility with respect to this site in particular. As far as the South Docklands go, I think among the many important sites therein, Kennedy Quay (IAWS lands) and Marina Commercial Park, stand out. The ESB seem to have no intention of moving as far as can be seen - which is unfortunate from a development perspective - but clever architecture and client imagination will be able to minimise even 'mask' the unsightly power-station to some effect.

Also, got my first look at Oyster Developments office development plans for Deane Street - only Phase 1 of the e-Project designed proposal of 7-storeys. In my own opinion, in does absolutely nothing for me, but that's simply my belief. The northern elevation is merely a bland red-brick wall and I don't think the project compliments No.8 Parnell Place - but before I decide my mind, I'll await to see the full plans in Phase 2. I should have images up soon - not the good quality ones yet I'm afraid, that issue is still a work in progress I can assure you. ;)
lexington
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:42 pm

wrt to ESB plant - I quite like it and think attempts to mask it should be resisted. It has the one downside of being an actual working power plant and therefore any expectations that the ESB will move any time soon are highly unrealistic (and against public interest).
d_d_dallas

Postby lexington » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:18 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:wrt to ESB plant - I quite like it and think attempts to mask it should be resisted. It has the one downside of being an actual working power plant and therefore any expectations that the ESB will move any time soon are highly unrealistic (and against public interest).

I suppose I should have chosen my words more carefully - rather than the idea of 'mask' it, I should have more specifically outlined that I mean for any new developments that spring up around it, should incorporate as I said "clever architecture" to reduce the impact the new proposals may adversely attain from the power-station. Indeed d_d_dallas I can see the charm the plant sort of has - in a sort of really toned down Battersea way - and it has huge potential alternate uses in a redeveloped project which maintains the 'hull' - but to me, it still looks boxy. Point taken however. :)
lexington
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:35 pm

Battersea Liteâ„¢
d_d_dallas

Marina Point Power Station

Postby lexington » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:51 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:Battersea Liteâ„¢

Here's a link to a 360degree internall look-about of the power station - if anyone is interested. What I'm really hoping to find is an up-to-date image of the station as view from Horgan's Quay, or better still the Lower Glanmire Road approach roach to the city centre. It should give a nice perspective of the power-station and its relationship to the docklands/city centre. It'll also provide a view of one of Cork's more interesting industrial building styles - as is quoted above, Battersea Lite :p - still ugly though!!! :D

If anyone has any images of the above before I get them, please post them, it would be well appreciated! Thanks!
lexington
Old Master

Maps of Housing Tenure Cork [2002 Census]

Postby St Luke » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:56 pm

Good to have you back, Lex. ;)

For what they are worth, here are some maps, illustrating distribution privately rented and public housing accomodation in the City according to the 2002 census.

URL=http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=housesprivatelex4yf.jpg]Image[/URL]

Also a look at the public housing in the city -

[URL=http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=larentedlex9ux.jpg]Image[/URL
St Luke

Re: Maps of Housing Tenure Cork [2002 Census]

Postby lexington » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:47 am

[quote="St Luke"]Good to have you back, Lex. ]

Thanks a million St Luke, and thanks for the graphs.

It's most interesting - and will make a very valuable and interesting comparison come the next Census. With the current level of activity in the Cork market, I'm anxious to see how things will have changed over the years. Could we be in for some surprises??? :o Any predictions?
lexington
Old Master

Docklands Players

Postby lexington » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:00 am

This is in part a mix-match of extracts from the little 'report' I compiled called Cork: Has it's time come? - I had hope to publish extracts from it over time - but as with anything like that, it was excessively long-winded, and unfortunately the news changes so fast its hard to keep it up-to-date. Also this section, concerning development in the city, is pretty routed in things like market forces and projections, lots of boring economic speak. I'm basically patching some of this together to tie-in with issues concerning the South Docklands, due to the increased volume of talk about it lately - especially with the announcement that the Ford site is coming up for sale and that another project is taking up shape very smartly.

"...with Manor Park, Werdna and the like making powerful strides in the north docklands - the south docklands would seem to be formulating their own equally impressive 'masterplans'..."

"...almost hot off their City Quarter project, largely credited with kicking off the docklands rejuvenation symbolically - Howard Holdings are now preparing a masterplan for a large scale docklands vision which they intend to submit to the powers that be in Cork City Council..." [Howard Holdings have, since, actually submitted this plan. "...the plan sets the ambition bar high. Though details are not wholly clear at the time of writing, it is expected that should CCC take note of the plan, Howard intend to be heavily involved in the plans enactment giving them a powerful say in the shape and form that the southern docklands will take in the years to come,,,"

"...of course there have been consistent rumours designed over the Munster Agricultural Showgrounds and Pairc Ui Chaoimh. The GAA indeed had looked (and it can only be assumed, are still noting) a hotel and stadium refurbishment plan. However, in the shadows it would seem even bigger plans may be afoot"

"...Gerry Wycherly's Marina Commercial Park offers a vital step in the rejuvenation of the docklands. Mr. Wycherly has involvement with Omnistone & Brooklyn Properties, who are involved in developing the highly successful Cork Airport Business Park. The Park is complex from a development perspective in many dimensions, not least the numerous tenants which occupy it and foundation issues..." "...but what could prove more interesting and perhaps earlier, is the nicely positioned 2-acre site to the west of Marina Commercial Park which sold quietly last year through Cohalan Downing & Associates for an estimated €8m..."

There is more, but this post is long enough.

Just note that this was written nearly 3-months ago and many details may need updating and alteration as new information has become available. Don't take it too seriously, just as a bit of light reading and partial insight - I've tried to keep most of the info there-in based on information that has already in some part been allowed into the public domain. I will update any new or needed details when/if these projects come to fruition and alter them appropriately to comply with accuracy and any revelated transfigurations the projects may have endured in the time that has since gone. What's important here is for you to be able to see the designs and ideas are being formulated for the area - and that these ideas will substantially alter this environment. Given their scale, strong architectural values must be stressed and met - their nature demands high quality and innovation.
lexington
Old Master

Postby Too many forms! » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:11 pm

jungle wrote:Originally Posted by securityman
I see in the Examiner today that Harvey Norman are looking for someone in Cork are they eying up a new store I heard a rumour a while back that they were looking to buy the old Woodies Store??

Noooooo!!!! Does that mean we'll be getting their ads on local radio too... :(

Word is they're fitting out the old Woddies site on Kinsale Road... thats the rumour anyway...
Too many forms!

Postby A-ha » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:32 pm

[font=Arial]When completed, will Eglington Street replace Cork County Hall as Ireland's tallest building, or is there some other building in Dublin going to steal the proud title???[/font] :confused:
A-ha

Postby redabbeyredux » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:54 pm

From what I've read, the Eglinton Street tower will be taller than Cork County Hall, so if it gets built before some of those yokes proposed for Dublin, it will briefly have that title. I reckon that that location could take an even higher structure anyway, which would help to slim down the slightly squat appearance of the east and west elevations.
redabbeyredux

Postby lexington » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:56 pm

A-ha wrote:[font=Arial]When completed, will Eglington Street replace Cork County Hall as Ireland's tallest building, or is there some other building in Dublin going to steal the proud title???[/font] :confused:

Eglinton Street will top 70m - whereas the newly revamped Cork County Hall will edge just above its current 66m in height.

Paul Keogh's Tall Building planned for the OPW project at Heuston Gate is 32 storeys and is expected to touch on 117m - I'm not clear on the construction dates for this project. If Eglinton Street is completed prior to the Dublin projects it should become the country's tallest building - however it should be noted that Eglinton Street & Water Street are not the only high-rise plans for Cork and Eglinton Street is not the tallest planned (that is of course unless other proposals are to face alterations or are simply not proceeded with),
lexington
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:40 pm

OPW 32 storey will be the tallest (by far) but project unlikely to proceed for years. Note 100m planned for point village and south docks so Eglinton (and indeed County Hall) will feature far down any list. Assuming Eglinton commences in near future it will have the crown for a while.
d_d_dallas

Postby A-ha » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:28 pm

[font=Arial]Oh my god, I've never heard of a building in Cork topping 100m. Can someone give me more info. about the other "high" rise projects of the city. I've only heard of the names but thought they were like some urban myth or something. Where are they going to be built if/when they get the go ahead (or have they already recieved the green light, I cudda been living like a hermet under a rock while all these projects came about)?? And sorry if ye gotta repeat what I missed out on.[/font] :confused:
A-ha

Postby lexington » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:39 pm

A-ha wrote:[font=Arial]Oh my god, I've never heard of a building in Cork topping 100m. Can someone give me more info. about the other "high" rise projects of the city. I've only heard of the names but thought they were like some urban myth or something. Where are they going to be built if/when they get the go ahead (or have they already recieved the green light, I cudda been living like a hermet under a rock while all these projects came about)?? And sorry if ye gotta repeat what I missed out on.[/font] :confused:

A-ha I think d_d_dallas was actually referring to the projects in Dublin not Cork. The high-rise projects in Cork that have been through or in planning are O'Flynn Construction's Eglinton Street project which rises 17-storeys and is 70m - this Wilson Architecture designed project has been greenlit by CCC. Images are located in this thread and in the Look at de State of Cork, like! thread also. Images can also be found there of the Murray O'Laoire designed project for Water Street by Werdna Limited - this 17-storey tower rises 56m and is currently in appeal after CCC conditioned out the tower.

Additional high-rise plans for Cork are in the pipeline with the docklands being the focus. I will update you on those when the respective developers decide to go public with them - if they do that is. Manor Park may have something interesting at Horgan's Quay. :o

Other proposals that have been put before Cork have been a 59m 15-storey tower by O'Brien & O'Flynn Ltd designed by Dennehy + Dennehy Designs which had been proposed for Silversprings in Tivoli. The tower was refused by both CCC and on appeal to ABP.

Hope that clarifies any confusion. ;)
lexington
Old Master

Postby A-ha » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:02 am

[font=Arial]Thanks for the info. Yeah, thought buildings in excess of 100m was too good to be true for Cork. Shame the Water Street development was changed, I prefered it when the tower was in the middle, it looked more symetrical and very classy. Another botched job by the planning authorities! It looks very similar if not identical to some apartments that were built in London's docklands last year (don't ask me the name, I'm after forgetting).
And whats this I read in the Echo today...... Cork's two airbridges still in consideration by the DAA, fools. Maybe their plan is to turn Cork into a little regional airport like Waterford or Sligo so we'll be forced to use Dublin Airport to leave the country. What will the people from New York think when they arrive into Cork airport only having to find they have to sprint across the tarmac! First world country, third class facilities!
[/font] :mad:
A-ha

Postby sw101 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:11 am

oh mein eyes.
sw101

Postby lexington » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:30 am

sw101 wrote:oh mein eyes.

Ach mein leibe! Yeah some pretty funky colours there! :p But at least it livens the text up a little. Why not! (Kind of 'Swinging Seventies London-ish' don't you think? :D )

A-ha wrote:Thanks for the info. Yeah, thought buildings in excess of 100m was too good to be true for Cork. Shame the Water Street development was changed, I prefered it when the tower was in the middle, it looked more symetrical and very classy. Another botched job by the planning authorities! It looks very similar if not identical to some apartments that were built in London's docklands last year (don't ask me the name, I'm after forgetting).
And whats this I read in the Echo today...... Cork's two airbridges still in consideration by the DAA, fools. Maybe their plan is to turn Cork into a little regional airport like Waterford or Sligo so we'll be forced to use Dublin Airport to leave the country. What will the people from New York think when they arrive into Cork airport only having to find they have to sprint across the tarmac! First world country, third class facilities!

I agree Water Street was more symmetrical in its original form - I also think the design was a little more fussy, but not in a strictly negative sense. Either way, the revised form isn't all that bad either. I think it's a good scheme, I take the CCC point about the repetitiveness of the scheme, in most cases I would agree, but I think in the individual context of this scheme, it is actually suited and hence Water Street does seem to work in a nice way. I wholly agree about creating distinctive landmark buildings, and a point has been made that any highrise must be of a strong and complimentary aesthetic nature, I endorse that - I loathe the idea of monotonous highrise blocks which supposedly given skyline distinction based on their height. I don't buy that, if a highrise is going to be proposed, it has to earn its right to add to the skyline in terms of strong, distinctive aesthetics. I still feel the nautical looking Water Street scheme works - but we'll see how the appeal works out.

Also, regarding height, I don't think we should look at the height of a building as being a reason for joy, it should more be the nature of its design we should look at. Indeed I agree and support the promotion of some highrise in the docklands area - I think the city stands to earn no harm from a little skyline distinction - but as said before, the building must be judged on the quality of its design and usage first and foremost. A building could be 120m for all I care, but if it doesn't add positively, it shouldn't add at all.

I think with each new project, better standards need to keep being pressed. Eglinton Street and Water Street seem to have been a positive start, but it can't stop there. Hopefully, the docklands development will support this ideology increasingly so as it unfolds.

Also, I agree the airport does need airbridges. Yes I know about Ryanair and Aer Lingus - but I don't think that should be the issue at heart. I was literally soaked through to the skin from the run between aircraft and terminal the other day after arriving home! Shannon seems to be getting another 3 airbridges interestingly enough. From what I do know, despite the chat, Cork will be getting its 2 airbridges with an option on a 3rd and 4th, at the CAA's expense in the future.
lexington
Old Master

Postby jackwade » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:20 am

Lex, forgive my ignorance, but what is the stadium located to the right of the highlighted docklands site? Is it Pairc Ui Chaoimh or Turner's Cross? Or something else? It's really been bugging me.
jackwade

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland