Cork, Mahon point, etc, etc.

Re: Cork, Mahon point, etc, etc.

Postby MrX » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:34 pm

UCC's recent buildings have generally been really nice.

I'd love to see the Boole Library get a bit of an interior face lift though. It's becoming increasingly drab and dated, or perhaps I'm just getting too used to it :)
MrX

Postby lexington » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:50 pm

Some elements of the Boole will be refurbished as part of the 32m euro post-grade library extension - primary work due to start this June 2005.
lexington
Old Master

Postby MrX » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:35 pm

The interior doesn't really need massive upgrading it just needs a minor tweaking!
MrX

Postby mickeydocs » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:17 pm

MrX wrote:The interior doesn't really need massive upgrading it just needs a minor tweaking!

is the bookshop still there (waterstones???)
mickeydocs

Postby MrX » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:01 pm

No it's long gone.

There's a new bookshop (John Smith & Co) located on the ground and lower ground floor of the Student Centre where the Café used to be before the extension. Quite a lot more spacious than the old Waterstones outlet in the boole basement. The entire Boole Basement is now a much enhanced open-access computer centre.

Also, the two banks are gone from the Boole. AIB is no longer on campus (but it did open a new branch on college road) and Bank of Ireland has exclusive on-campus access with a new plush branch in the student centre. They also have exclusive rights to place ATMs on campus. As far as I know UCC let the banks bid against eachother to gain access to the campus. They're all quite keen to sign up 3rd level students.
MrX

Postby Radioactiveman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:37 pm

In my view the new student centre is a bit strange.
Its a nice looking building and fits in fine with the overall plan. The problem is it must be the most expensive coffee shop in the country. Its two floors of coffee shop and a bank. Thats it. Call that a student centre??
Radioactiveman

Postby Radioactiveman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:15 pm

I hear on the Grapevine that AIB have plans to redevelop their Watercourse Road Branch shortly. Anybody got any ideas what they have planned?
RM
Radioactiveman

Previous

Return to Ireland