Look at de state of Cork, like!

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:18 pm

The building is going to be preserved and reused - the plans are vague but the word "cultural" crops up - not really sure... think Stack A in the IFSC.

As for Aer Lingus pulling out of Dublin/Cork route... Aer Arran have a sharing agreement with them anyway - so there's prob some arrangement there.
d_d_dallas

Postby ewanduffy » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:26 pm

Originally posted by sw101
burn it!!!

That wouldn't surprise me. Looking at what they did to the engine shed in Cobh (removed the roof and built a Garda station in it), anything goes where Irish Rail are concerned.
ewanduffy

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:30 pm

Eh - not sure why that message appears three times! Apologies to all...
d_d_dallas

Postby sw101 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:24 pm

Personally i think there should be put in place a comprehensive masterplan, following studies by external groups and/or a competition, for the whole shambles that is corks transport infrastructure. i mean look at the approaches from the west (where i have to drive in from). loop de loop round the station, go dockside for a bit then back up by the railway carpark and in another u-turn to get to the station. i'm pretty sure irish rail own all that land and its misuse is upsetting. surely all approach bus, rail and car transport could be accommodated on this vast site.

and as an aside, what the hell is the story with the state of that road from silversprings up to the quays. bloody disgrace. remember they closed it for over 6 months for "improvements" and now its even worse.

oh what i wouldnt do for a few billion euro and 3 years of calatravas time
sw101

Postby corkdood » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:48 am

What are they doing with bus station? Someone mentioned canapies. It needs more than that. It needs to be bulldozed and a fresh start made.
Maybe they are actually proud of the reputation that the toilets on the first floor have!
I suppose knowing CIE if they do anything whatsoever with the building the workers will be out on strike.
corkdood

bus and rail stations

Postby crc » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:54 pm

They should forget about the Parnell place site altogether and move the bus station to the railway station at the same time as they redevelop that.

Of the small to medium sized cities (let's face it, that's what Cork is) that I've visited - the best combine their bus and rail stations.

There's lots of potetial for the land between kent station and the river - it could also help the dire access situation (what the hell they thought they were doing with the lwr glanmire rd is beyond me)!
crc

Postby d_d_dallas » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:23 pm

What boy? Sure Cork is HUUUUUGE!

Most of the badness about the Bus/Rail station can be directed towards CIE for it is they who have delayed for years the plans that were already decided upon. Yes - there were plans to move the bus station - but the slowness of CIE meant the boat had sailed, while the train station has been in development limbo (or hell!) for the past five years.

Cork City Council are the ultimate at management speak - they use all the right buzz words "strategy" "study" "6/20 yr plan" and prepare these reports/plans with vigour - they have won believe it or not, international awards for their planning! But the true measure of management is delivery and the focus on delivery of results - which they probably fall down on (badly in the past - things seem to have changed).
That said things like the Bus Station and Train Station were planned for in reports by CCC but when a loss-making sloth-like semi-state controls these, is the much a local authority can do other than formulate a strategy???
d_d_dallas

Postby corkdood » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:21 am

Speaking to CIE recently I've been told that they have got planning permission for the redevelopment of the PArnel Place bus station and the development is going ahead so the only question now is when?
corkdood

Postby corkdood » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:27 pm

As predicted nothing has happened with the bus or train station as yet. We are now 9 months from the start of 2005 which is the year Cork has been designated the European capital of culture. By the looks of it only St Patricks street will be completed in time. The tourists will however get to experience the culture of our dilapidated bus and rail stations amongst other things.
corkdood

Postby sw101 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:07 pm

seamas brennan was there to plug the fact that he's throwing 4 million squids at the bus station for refurbishment. like throwing good cash on a bonfire.
sw101

Postby corkdood » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:01 am

And CIE will probably spend the money on meetings about how to do up the bus station rather than actually doing it. At any rate work won't start until Jan 1st 2006.
corkdood

Postby sw101 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:18 am

Saw in the echo the school of music will be given the go ahead by bertie in the run up to the elections. Tenders returned by Jarvis in 2001 of 58 million squid must now be whittled down to around 50 million. Tight bastards. 10 million less is small change but its going to reduce the potential of this building from world class to stripped out and budgeted
sw101

Postby phil » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:14 pm

I know that most people will disagree with me on this, but I must say I quite like the Bus Station in Cork. I think it needs some refurbishment, but overall I think it is a very under-rated building.
phil
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:25 pm

Yes phil, you're right. Most people will disagree with you. And on that count, they're all right
sw101

Postby jupiter » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:45 pm

yea, good god, have you ever had the unhappy chance to have to wait for a bus there, not to mention ...use the toilets. Raze it.
jupiter

Postby corkdood » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:26 pm

The train station is also in need of attention.
If only there was someone in charge at CIE who had the foresight and wisdom to develop an integrated bus/rail station on the existing Kent Station site with a new entrance on to patricks quay. Then we might have a public transport terminus worthy of the 21st century instead of the pitiful buildings we have now.
corkdood

Postby ewanduffy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:34 pm

You mean the attractive, red brick station that befits Cork's status as the second city? What's wrong with it, other than Bus Eireann don't use it and there is no political will to force CIE companies to share buildings?
ewanduffy

Postby corkdood » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:45 pm

Thats the one. Of course if you moved the bus station all the grannies would be complaining that they'd have to drag their shopping across the bridge to the new station. No pleasing everyone really is there!
corkdood

Postby phil » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:51 pm

Yes Jupiter I have used it, but I cannot say that I have used the toilets (from other examples of CIE toilets I am sure they are a delight!). All I am saying is that people should take a closer look at the building. It has some attractive features such as the tiling on the outside. As I stated earlier, it does need some work. I am just trying to point out some of its positive aspects.
phil
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:14 pm

It doenst need work. It needs a bulldozer. Its a poorly laid out badly designed building that doesnt maximise the potential of the site in the 21st century and which has fallen into chronic disrepair. The institutional lethargy of the staff and management there is something which is also protected by the continued use of this outdated atrocity of a bus station.
sw101

Postby phil » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:38 pm

Originally posted by sw101
"institutional lethargy"

SW101, I must say that I really like that expression. It is the best description I have ever heard of some of the workforce that are encountered in those types of institutions. Don't get me wrong about the bus station. I realise that it is not maximising its space and that it does not function well anymore, it is just one of those buildings that catches my eye when I am in Cork. For some reason I think it looks quite cool!

Thanks

Phil
phil
Old Master

Postby corkdood » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:50 pm

For Phils (and anyone else who isn't aware ) benefit I'll let you know that the toilets in the bus station are well known as a meeting point for gay men. (think George Michael being arrested)

For this reason alone (and there are many others) the building needs to be completely redesigned and preferably moved.
corkdood

Postby sw101 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:51 pm

Ok, i'm with you on it being unusual and somewhat eye-catching. if it was well maintained and tarted up like busaras (no, not you) it would be fine. But as it is its a waste, and throwing 4 million at it is a huge waste. Another few FF votes for berties continuing ride on the power wave methinks
sw101

Postby sw101 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:54 pm

I knew that. Avoid like plague as the man said. The fucking timetable board has been moved now aswell and i cant find it. Good thing i know when all my busses go.
sw101

Postby Rjajc » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:43 am

Gay men?! In the toilets?! Meeting?!

Well they should level the surrounding area just in case!

What other tiresome stereotypes motivate you to consider the refurbishing of buildings corkdood? I mean its well known that 'junkies' meet outside the customs house; so I propose we completely redesign or better yet move the customs house; I mean if junkies can meet there next 'gay men' will and we'll have fully fledged meeting of marginalised weirdos on the steps of one of our national treasures.

I've also heard that moaney, second-city-issue-ridden Corkonians meet in Heuston station when they arrive in Dublin; so I propse we completely refurbish it or better yet move it to remove the 'problem'.

Or is that just another cliched lie?
Rjajc

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland