Pub Grub and Food Hygiene

Pub Grub and Food Hygiene

Postby onq » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Pub have been hit badly by the smoking ban and more effective poolicing of the drink-driving and now drug-driving laws.

Pub owners I have spoken to claim that most of their business is done before 7.00 pm. in the day now.

Pubs are now restaurants and so must be assesse as places which prepare and serve food.

Who is supposed to examine these places where food is prepared?

Do they issue cleanliness licenses?

User avatar
Old Master
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Pub Grub and Food Hygiene

Postby corkblow-in » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 pm

The Environmental Health Offices of the HSE inspect premises that serve food to the public. You need to inform them that you intend to carry out food operations, but AFAIK there is no certificate issued afterwards, just a report notifying you of any issues they discover and suggested remedies.

They are supposed to inspect regularly, but I'm guessing its like the building control regime, and they only really respond to public complaints. An ex of mine did a summer working in a lab testing samples from ice-cream cone machines. That was 10 years ago & I haven't had one since.

You'll get contact details etc here: ... ntrol.html
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Pub Grub and Food Hygiene

Postby batten » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:32 pm

A former client of mine, sports club with bar and small kitchen, has had two visits/inspections from HSE in the last five years. Each visit resulted in a letter detailing any requirements - in my client's case, small repairs to tiling and painting. They will also check that any requirements previously notified have been carried out, and they can also issue a closure order.
Any food operation must notify and register with the HSE before commencing operation.
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Return to Ireland