reinstatement - boundary wall

reinstatement - boundary wall

Postby Ortensia » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I have 2 questions, is someone able to help me? :confused:

1. Can someone help me defining what reinstatement of a building exactly means? Does it mean building exactly what was there before? Can a building which is actually smaller than what was there before, be considered a reinstatement?

2. The length of my first floor extension is currently longer than the neighbour's and I decided to knock it down, should I ask permission before I knock it down, considering that the wall of my house is on the boundary?
Can my neighbour ask that I reinstate the boundary (at the first floor) as it was if I did not ask for permission?

Thanks!
Ortensia

Re: reinstatement - boundary wall

Postby onq » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 pm

I count five questions in total.

1. Yes. Yes. No.
2. Yes. Yes.

The below is hugely qualified as follows:

All advice on Archiseek is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.
ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby Ortensia » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks a million!!
Ortensia

Postby Bren88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:47 am

Just to clarify a little further.

You need permission to demolish any part of your house.
There is an exemption where you can demolish some without PP if you are building an exempt extension or porch but this doesn't apply if the work abutts a building in the ownrship of another person. From your psot, I imagine that your extension is in contact with the neighbours, so you need permission if this is the case
Bren88

Postby onq » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 am

And to clarify Bren's post even further, he means "permission from the local authority" as in planning permission, as well as permission from the adjoining owner.

If this is a shared wall I think you should engage a competent architect and develop your thoughts a lot more before discussing drawings/a simple model of the proposed work with either the council or the adjoining owner.

Sounds like a job for Mr. Bannon

(did I just post that?)

>>>Cue theme musak and the Bannonmobile (a black Toyota Prius) exiting the underground sewer hideout, rats and bat scurryign in all directions<<<

Aaaaaagh!

This recession must be doing my head in!

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Return to Irish Planning Matters