Restoration/renovation of Cottage in Kildare- completely new to this

Restoration/renovation of Cottage in Kildare- completely new to this

Postby lilysway » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi All,

we are considering doing up a cottage we own in kildare , we currently live in meath.
My husband and I were given this cottage, outbuiling plue 3/4 acre.

We have had t building project comany have a look at the cottage ,stables for us and what they said and recommended to us was the following.

1) Knock all internal walls,chimneys as they are damp , this would give us a open plan to work with,
2) Roofs to be redone and raised currently the ceilings from floor to ceiling are 6ft so raise them another bit.
3)New sewerage system required which we knew.Planning Required for this
4) Take up the floors as they are damp and replace.
5) Inject Damp proof membrane into the external walls.
6)Convert the stables into living quarters ie bedrooms.Planning required

The cottage on its own stands at 1000sq foot.
Stables would give us about 400/500 sq foot
Extension of 40sq meters would give us about 400 sq foot.My maths aint great:)

We reckon our only problem may be with getting planning to convert the stables to bedrooms etc,we are not 100% sure. we are tryin to get the heritage office involved as the cottage is 90+ yrs old my husbands great grandfather was born there and its on his fathers land.

We have allowed a budget of 100k , do you think this is realistic ? the builders have said yes they would work on that budget and we have allowed abother 20k for the unknown.

Does an architect do the following ?
draw up the plans,
submit the planning for us
follow up on any problems with the planning gang
do the surveying
give the builders the drawing of the house plans so they can quote.
lilysway

Re: Restoration/renovation of Cottage in Kildare- completely new to this

Postby sunshine boy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:53 am

First of all you may not need to get internal walls knocked, there is a lot of work than can be done with old buildings apart from knocking them and also the internal walls may be supporting the roof structure but that would need to be checked by someone, a competent builder should be able to tell you this.

Regarding you question about engaging an architects firm to do work, yes they do all the work that you need to get done from doing the planning drawings to engaging a builder to producing construction drawings, giving you a rough estimate of the cost of works etc. The main thing to do is to employ someone who is used to doing the work that you want done.

Regarding the heritage office, try employ a Grade 1 conservation architect to see what you need planning for etc and also they should be able to do all the architectural work.

see

http://www.lotts.ie/conservation/lotts_conservation.html and ask to speak to Rosanne she should be able to point you in the right direction whether you engage them or not.
sunshine boy

Postby lilysway » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:08 am

Hi Sunshine boy , thank you so much for your reply.

The roof has to be totally replaced on the cottage so the builder said to us it was worth knocking all the internal walls due to them being so damp. so thats really why we are doing that.
lilysway

Postby keating » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 pm

regarding converting the stables, if it was ancillary to your enjoyment of your dwelling house it might not need planning for change of use, also if you have a rudimentary soak pit, you could upgrade that without Planning. All you need is a good Barrister, but don't worry, planning enforcement rarely wins.

Anybody think this approach has legs
keating

Postby lilysway » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:35 pm

i can get my head around all the planning that is needed its just unbelievable.

I am sure there is people who do upgrade their sewerage system without planning permission.

we are meeting an architect tomorrow morning on the site.

here is a link to an album of the cottage & stable area , maybe yee can see what we are dealing with :)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/566595704FJmcSq
lilysway

Postby gunter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 pm

sunshine boy wrote:Regarding the heritage office, try employ a Grade 1 conservation architect to see what you need planning for etc and also they should be able to do all the architectural work.

I think that's 'qualified in architectural conservation, Grade 3',
the Grade 1 guys will advise you on the weathering of the statues on the Custom House!
gunter
Old Master

Postby Cottageboy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Lilysway,

I am delighted to have stumbled across your plans for the old cottage in Kildare and nearly two years on I am very curious as to how the project went for you?

I am interested to know as I am about to embark on the renovation of a similar cottage.

Thanks in advance,
Cottageboy
Cottageboy

Return to Irish Planning Matters