Planning Permission for Change of Use

Planning Permission for Change of Use

Postby CavanHouse » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:43 pm

I have an old house with on a site split on 2 sides of the road. The house & garden on one side and an old Stables/loft & sty building across the road.

Tis my intention to convert, extend & improve the stables building to make it a residence.

How do i start? Do i need an architect first? Get PP first? Is it the architect who gets the PP?
I havent got a clue, but dont wish to spend a packet on a design plan if i wont get the PP etc.........

thanks in advance
CavanHouse

Re: Planning Permission for Change of Use

Postby henno » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:19 am

CavanHouse wrote:I have an old house with on a site split on 2 sides of the road. The house & garden on one side and an old Stables/loft & sty building across the road.

Tis my intention to convert, extend & improve the stables building to make it a residence.

How do i start? Do i need an architect first? Get PP first? Is it the architect who gets the PP?
I havent got a clue, but dont wish to spend a packet on a design plan if i wont get the PP etc.........

thanks in advance

firstly, talk to a few architects in the area familar with planning in your county and familar with renovation works.

Explain your brief in full (ie what you want to end up with) and what stage you want them tpo cary work to
planning, tender or competion....
Ask for quotations with detailed breakdowns to do this work... and examine quotations on receipt.
Engage the architect.
The architect will arrange a site survey and provide you with sketch design proposals.
Have a pre-planning meeting in the council to se how the development will be viewed by the planners.
If you get a positive reaction the fire ahead...
henno

Postby nuac » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:01 pm

What is the status of the road dividing this site?. Unless it is a minor road, local authority not keen for more road entrances. Most County Plans prohibt or discourage new houses fronting onto Regional and National Roads.
nuac

Postby CavanHouse » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:47 am

Its a minor road, and the field with the stables already has an entrance.
I think my issue is that the field is not quite half an acre which i am told is the minimum for a site, though not sure of the case in Change of use.

Thanks for the advice henno. I am having a estate agent & a planner/architect come see it.
CavanHouse

Return to Irish Planning Matters