O'Connell St Signage HELP!!!

O'Connell St Signage HELP!!!

Postby johncarch » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Hello All,
I am looking into a planning permission for signage on O'Connell St., Dublin...
The sign is quite small (500x1500mm) and is flat so it won't be protrude onto the our sacred street...
The unit which is being served by the signage is on the first floor so the signage will be fixed over a door to the main stairwell.

Are there any pitfalls I should look out for when lodging the application..
I have gathered the OS map and I'am currently working on some elevations of the front of the building.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. :)

P.S. My first post.. I will get the hang of it..
johncarch

Re: O'Connell St Signage HELP!!!

Postby GrahamH » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi John,

Development on O'Connell Street is governed by the provisions of its designation as an Architectural Conservation Area and Special Planning Control Area - signage and shopfronts are dealt with principally in the latter (towards the end). Both are available here:

ACA
http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/HeritageConservation/Conservation/Documents/O%27Connell%20Street%20ACA.pdf

SPCA
http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/oconnell_special_planning_control_scheme.pdf

A pre-planning consulation however is always the best route to take for the best outcome for everybody.

Good luck :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby hutton » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi John,

Graham's advice is sound and reliable. If I can add, as far as I recall there is a publication by the City Council giving specific advice regarding shop design and signage.

Best of luck with it and I commend you and your client that you are going about it in the right way - as opposed to putting a tacky "temporary" awning up, as the Griffins/ aka Londis and Spar have been doing - which is disgraceful! (and has featured in a number of negative news reports).

Hope this is of help :)
hutton

Postby johncarch » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Much appreciated guys. This is great. Fingers crossed there are no hitches.
John
johncarch

Return to Irish Planning Matters