Interconnector aka DART underground

Re: Interconnector aka DART underground

Postby cgcsb » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:30 pm

I realise it's not a short term priority but the main belfast line being re routed to Heuston does make long term sense. As a result, the Balbriggan to Kildare DART line will be completely seperated from inter city services which will offer a huge boost in capacity and having thhe Airport on an intercity line makes a whole lot more sense as people travelling from other parts of the country don't have to go near the city center. This option does offer a whole lot more then the option to run a circle line DARt service.
cgcsb

Postby Denton » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 pm

All of these plans for the stations look perfect.

I dont see any problems with any of it.

Although Spencer dock is still a puzzle for me, arent they allready building on top of where that station is. In the map i cant tell if there is a building there but its plausable that they would do it.

Also, im not one for all the historical stuff, but i can see their being problems with the high street/Christ church station, its comendable that the station entrances itself are in wood quay, but the vents and amenities at the foot of the city wall could incounter a lot of previously un-excavated archeology, after all it is the city wall.

Heuston's plan A is looking good and the provision for at least 1 terminal platform is very good planing for both versions of the plan.

Although my only concern is the use of the double tunnel's. What if one direction is blocked, that whole tunnel will be jammed and by the look of things only 1 track exists in each with no switches at the stations, who will you keep traffic flowing if you're down to 1 tunnel and only 1 track? Wouldnt a 2 tracks in each tunnel or some sort of switching procedure help alleviate such a problem if it ever occured? Even in the case of terrorism or an accident 1 tunnel could be impeded and we would only have the facilities to send trains 1 direction through the whole tunnel length? That seems dangerous. New york and London have multible switches but the main flaw of some subway's such as Glasgow's is their isolation and lack of switching. Even the Channel tunnel has a lot of crossing points due to its traffic.

I guess they have thought about such problems but a serious blockage in one tunnel could seriously slow down the network.
Denton

Postby missarchi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:16 pm

for those of you interested this appears to be the difference between crossrail and the dart underground
Attachments
the difference between crossrail and underground.jpg
the difference between crossrail and underground.jpg (81.86 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
missarchi
Old Master

Postby SunnyDub » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Something tells me IE's tunnel is going to look much better than the RPA's train set
SunnyDub

Postby missarchi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:38 pm

SunnyDub wrote:Something tells me IE's tunnel is going to look much better than the RPA's train set

I actually think the opposite... currently the RPA designs have much more potential than CIE thats not to say they will look better or function better... it just comes down to a third party taking control

CIE does not appear to be want to cut and cover st stephens green north or some corn market... it is tight but it is possible They are investing all the hard cash in docklands and not grand central... because the land around it has more potential
missarchi
Old Master

Postby SunnyDub » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:09 pm

I presume they're not going to cut and cover at docklands givent that Treasury are currently building over...and originally they had the docklands station under the river
SunnyDub

Postby cgcsb » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:09 pm

I read somewhere that both future DART lines are planned to have double decker trains. I wonder can the tunnel accomidate this or will it be a case of the port tunnel i.e. the trucks for which it was intended can't fit in
cgcsb

Postby notjim » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:16 pm

that's just not true about the port tunnel.
notjim

Postby cgcsb » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am

Super trucks cannot safely fit in the Port Tunnel
cgcsb

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:41 am

because it was not intended to accommodate 'super trucks'.
Peter Fitz

Postby cgcsb » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 am

exactly, I mean will it be intended for double decker trains to use the DART tunnel?
cgcsb

Postby SunnyDub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:33 am

Dempsey supports cross city underground

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0406/1224244068221.html

hopefully it'll happen
SunnyDub

Postby cgcsb » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm

there have been geo technical surveys being carried out in Stephen's Green for the past 2 to 3 weeks for the new DART station
cgcsb

Postby shed » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:51 pm

There has been a lot of surveying done on northside of Merrion Square also in the last few weeks
shed

Postby cgcsb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:44 pm

Iarnród Éireann's DART underground timeline:

railway application:2009
enabling works: 2010
Construction start:2011
Completion:2015

+cost cutting measures including moving tunnel entrance to Inchicore, cutting out additional access points for underground stations and other small alterations

http://www.transport21.ie/MEDIA/Press_Releases/DART_Underground_-_Tunnel_to_be_extended_to_Inchicore.html
cgcsb

Postby Fergal » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:26 pm

I doubt that moving the tunnel portals to Inchicore will be cheaper, but it is the sensible option. Also, a station at Inchicore is very necessary, as it's a mature dense inner suburb - the old Cherry Orchard station was not that busy, but that's because it only had an infrequent service as far as Heuston. A DART to the city centre would be a lot more attractive.
Fergal

Postby missarchi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Sounds good...

Have CIE already tendered to consortium's? or are they taking a different approach...

one exit for st stephens green now... hmmm

o Following the decision to relocate the entrances to the Metro North/Dart Underground common concourse in Saint Stephens Green North the access strategy was re-examined and the Kildare Street Entrance removed. This will significantly reduce the impact on Saint Stephens Green during construction without compromising accessibility.

- Alignment and station location at Pearse changed

o This will ensure that there is no requirement to acquire a small number of housing units adjacent to Pearse, and avoid any impact on Merrion Square.

Inchicore/Heuston: Monday 20th April, 17.00-20.00, Hilton Hotel, Kilmainham.

Christchurch: Thursday 23rd April, 17.00-20.00, Central Hotel, Exchequer St.

Docklands: Monday 27th April, 17.00-20.00, Sean O’Casey Community Centre, St Mary’s Road, East Wall, Dublin 3.

St Stephen’s Green/Pearse: Thursday 30th April, 17.00-20.00, Alexander Hotel, Fenian St, off Merrion Square, Dublin 2.
missarchi
Old Master

Postby SunnyDub » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:32 am

Story on Interconnector & Metro from yesterday's budget coverage

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0408/1224244216569.html

"Mr Dempsey said it had not been possible to cut the national roads capital budget as it was almost entirely assigned to road projects that were under way.

Nor did he announce cuts to the big public transport rail projects, the Dart interconnector or the Metro North, because neither requires funding, other than for planning purposes, this year.

Asked if major budget difficulties would emerge in a few years when the big projects were ready to go to construction, Mr Dempsey said the Government was looking at whether the National Treasury Management Agency could find ways of “keeping these off the balance sheets”.

He cited the Dart interconnector and Metro North, which as public-private partnerships might not require funds upfront. While there might be comparatively small preliminary costs, “once the contractors move in, we don’t have any liability until it is built
”.
SunnyDub

Postby EIA340600 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:29 pm

cgcsb wrote:I read somewhere that both future DART lines are planned to have double decker trains. I wonder can the tunnel accomidate this or will it be a case of the port tunnel i.e. the trucks for which it was intended can't fit in

Just wondering where you read that there may be double decker DART trains in the future?

It would be pretty cool if it's true:cool:
EIA340600

Postby EIA340600 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Just found this map of the rail network to be on.

http://www.railusers.ie/images/2005_p11railplan.jpg

It seems to be from a couple of years back which would explain the DART to airport and the stops on MN as well as the line which appears to be the phoenix park tunnel.Interesting..........
Attachments
Dart.jpg
Dart.jpg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
EIA340600

Postby Fergal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:51 pm

I think that's a self made map, not an IE one.

Here is IE's latest plans.
Fergal

Postby cgcsb » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:37 pm

EIA340600 wrote:Just wondering where you read that there may be double decker DART trains in the future?

It's been such a long time, I'm afraid I can't remember. With the plans I see now, they are clearly using single deck trains. Evidently IÉ doesn't think the double deckers are worth the hastle.
cgcsb

Postby cgcsb » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Fergal wrote:I think that's a self made map, not an IE one.

Here is IE's latest plans.

Nice, although it's funny that there is no DART/Commuter service to Navan on that map
cgcsb

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 am

EIA340600 wrote:Just wondering where you read that there may be double decker DART trains in the future?

Is there enough clearance under the overhead lines? The older bridges?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby marmajam » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:45 am

Paul Clerkin wrote:Is there enough clearance under the overhead lines? The older bridges?

obviously not. but very difficult to anticipate such.............
marmajam

PreviousNext

Return to Irish Planning Matters