BER assessing

BER assessing

Postby sussed » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:21 pm

hey was wondering if anyone knew of n e one that does the BER assessing???
i was looking at http://www.ecoevolution.ie who do it and they seem pretty good but was wondering what people thought??
they also do renewable energy so i mite also look into that when i build my house but rite now they seem the best choice for BER assessment because i want to get one done!!
what do people think???
sussed

Re: BER assessing

Postby henno » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:47 pm

sussed wrote:hey was wondering if anyone knew of n e one that does the BER assessing???
i was looking at http://www.ecoevolution.ie who do it and they seem pretty good but was wondering what people thought??
they also do renewable energy so i mite also look into that when i build my house but rite now they seem the best choice for BER assessment because i want to get one done!!
what do people think???

firstly i would only advise you to get a BER assessment done by someone who is independent of any retail company. IF they arent then your at risk of having engineering solutions forced on you as in "youd get a rating of a3 if you use our xyz product"...

Secondly i would advise you to find out what construction knowledge your BER assessor has. The most important part of an assessment on a new build is the advisory report. Someone with proper construction knowledge would know what materials work together and what do not. Many ber assessor are not from a construction background. Preferably your BER assessor should be an architectural technician, even more preferrably he/she should be part of the design team that designs your build.

thirdly, check here for a list of registered BER assessors in your area. http://193.178.2.42/SearchAssessors.aspx
henno

Postby 250882 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:02 am

I completely agree. The amount of ignorance in the BER assessor community is astounding.
In order to become a BER assessor, SEI listed the necessary criteria.
One of these criteria was a level 6 qualification in a construction related course, this is also the one that the training providers omitted. It is essential that your assessor is very familiar with the various new building systems and procedures, especially the certifiaction of these systems. An in depth knowledge of different sustainable heating systems is also necessary, what are their advantages and disadvantages and where should they be used.

Postby FENG » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Get INDEPENDENT advice.

There are many independent energy consultants operating in the country at present. Obviously if your engineer/architect is a registered BER assessor then they can also be used.

Unfortunatly, companies that are selling products are not best placed to give independent advice.
FENG

Return to Irish Planning Matters