Access required for planning permission

Access required for planning permission

Postby Bazmeen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi.

I was wondering if anybody may be able to give me any advice at all. My Parents have a lot of land at the back of their house, plenty of room to build a structure. we havent thought about what type of structure yet because the issue of planning permission would need to be considered first.

My question is this, as the land is in my Parents back Garden we currently have no access to this area except through the house. It may very well be possible to get access from the rear in the future because the back wall of the garden leades onto a car park, and I believe the owner would be happy to grant permission for a doorway to be put in this wall.

Do you now if this would help or would it simply not be possible because there is no direct access to the garden?

It is just something which we have decided to consider recently, it just seems a shame to leave the land wasting away there.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Bazmeen

Re: Access required for planning permission

Postby missarchi » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:26 pm

one word solicitors

and deeds!!!!
missarchi
Old Master

Re: Access required for planning permission

Postby BTH » Wed May 07, 2008 8:06 am

Any way you could renovate the existing house to create an archway through? Not knowing what sort of house or street we are talking about i can't really comment but this I know: It would be extremely difficult if not impossible to gain permission to access a site via someone elses private land plus it would open up a can of worms legally etc - Your neighbour would have to agree to a "right of way" through his land which would severely de-value it for him. And no matter how sound he is, if it hits him in the pocket it won't happen! it may be possible to use his carpark to gain construction access but thats as far as it would go I'm afraid.
Basically your only chance would be to create a route through the existing house - preferably external and private to whatever you'd propose in the rear garden (I presume you are talking about a dwelling of some sort). In that case whatever front garden area thereis would most likely become a communal parking area. It would be a very difficult thing to acheive both visually and without messing up the layout of the existing house. However it's feasable that you could end up with a viable site for a new house which of course could be very lucrative!
BTH

Return to Irish Planning Matters