When does an extension stop being an extension?

When does an extension stop being an extension?

Postby Blocky » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi people! I'm a newbie so please be gentle! I'm looking into buying a house; the house is 'L'-shaped; one side being about 100 years old, the other (facing out back) being about 20-25 years old. Does the newer part of the house still count as an extension (and thus eat into the 40 sq.m. allowed for planning-exempt extending)? At what point in time does an extension stop being an extension?
Any ideas?!

Thanks!
Blocky

Re: When does an extension stop being an extension?

Postby henno » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:33 pm

Blocky wrote:Hi people! I'm a newbie so please be gentle! I'm looking into buying a house; the house is 'L'-shaped; one side being about 100 years old, the other (facing out back) being about 20-25 years old. Does the newer part of the house still count as an extension (and thus eat into the 40 sq.m. allowed for planning-exempt extending)? At what point in time does an extension stop being an extension?
Any ideas?!

Thanks!

When the planning acts first were commisioned in 1964.

Any extensions since then are and always will be extensions. As ever im open to correction on this....
henno

Postby tommyt » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:00 pm

henno wrote:When the planning acts first were commisioned in 1964.

Any extensions since then are and always will be extensions. As ever im open to correction on this....

Sounds correct- November 1st 1964. Before that it's not an extension, Check with the plannign desk though at your local authiority, sounds like the kind of question the folks at the front desk could answer;
tommyt

Postby Blocky » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:06 pm

Thanks for information. Not good news! :( Does anyone know how to fake blueprints to make them look pre-60's?!
Blocky

Postby henno » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Blocky wrote:Thanks for information. Not good news! :( Does anyone know how to fake blueprints to make them look pre-60's?!

i hope your tongue was firmly in your cheek with that last question.

Nobody on this forum will advise you on how to fool the planning system .....(apart from one eccentric author / developer that is)
henno

Postby jackscout » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:17 pm

and what's wrong with having to apply for planning permission anyway? Afraid your proposal will be refused? If it is well designed the extension should get permission anyway.,
jackscout

Postby Blocky » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:23 pm

Yes, yes. Tongue was level or behind the existing cheek level!

There's already a structurally unsound conservatory slapped on the end the extension. Ideally, I'd like to tear it down and replace it with a slightly larger sun-room/living room. Devilishly hard to get any PP where it is though. To make a viable living room it would need to be at least 1m longer than would be allowed.
Blocky

Postby henno » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Why is it hard to get planning for a single storey structure?? is it within the curtilage of a protected structure of something?
henno

Postby Blocky » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:49 pm

It's in a Gaeltacht, a Special Area of Conservation and a National Heritage Area. Camels and eyes of needles come to mind when planning permission is mooted! From what I can see, anything new is only granted assuming residency, there's a blue moon and you're lucky enough to be wearing lucky knickers on the decision day.
Blocky

Postby henno » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:28 pm

but sure, if you buy the house then you are a resident........
there shouldnt be much hassle with a single storey conservatory / sunroom type extension once its not an abomination.
henno

Return to Ireland