Ribbon Development

Ribbon Development

Postby lisa » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can give me some inspiration. I have a refusal which is based on risk of 'exacerbating ribbon development'. This particular case relates to provision of a house at the end of a line of roughly 16 existing houses. There is a break of two fields (don't have distance) where the ribbon development carries on. Obviously you have to say to yourself, where does it end and why must it end in this case since it's already way out of control. Regarding services, they are on a group water scheme and propose effluent treatment. No option of going across the road. I suppose I could argue infill????
lisa

Re: Ribbon Development

Postby noel o'gara » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:59 am

lisa wrote:Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can give me some inspiration. I have a refusal which is based on risk of 'exacerbating ribbon development'. This particular case relates to provision of a house at the end of a line of roughly 16 existing houses. There is a break of two fields (don't have distance) where the ribbon development carries on. Obviously you have to say to yourself, where does it end and why must it end in this case since it's already way out of control. Regarding services, they are on a group water scheme and propose effluent treatment. No option of going across the road. I suppose I could argue infill????

Hi Lisa, welcome to the club of the Irish who thought they lived in a free republic. You can forget about your constitutional property rights and your ownership of the land and pay up to the bureaucrats who will give you permission if you grease a few palms or have a frined in FF who will twist a few arms so to speak.
Havent you heard of the tribunals and the dig outs?
Ribbon development is just a phrase that means you can do nothing with your own land unless they say so.
It costs several grand just to get that permission to build on your own land with your own money anyway and then they will tell you what to build, how large it can be and where to site it etc etc etc.
Its all about control of the masses of ignorant republicans who would scatter houses all over the place like a ribbon if big daddy didnt stop it.
Welcome to the bureaucracy and you thought you lived in the republic of Ireland???
By the way dont ask these planners and architects about things like that because they get fat on the planning system.
They dont want people like you building where you wish because they would never get work without you being hog tied.
noel o'gara

Postby massamann » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:08 am

Hope that helps! :rolleyes:
massamann

Postby henno » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am

lisa wrote:Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can give me some inspiration. I have a refusal which is based on risk of 'exacerbating ribbon development'. This particular case relates to provision of a house at the end of a line of roughly 16 existing houses. There is a break of two fields (don't have distance) where the ribbon development carries on. Obviously you have to say to yourself, where does it end and why must it end in this case since it's already way out of control. Regarding services, they are on a group water scheme and propose effluent treatment. No option of going across the road. I suppose I could argue infill????

Are you applying on your own or family land? Is this the only location with road frontage?
or are you purchasing a site?
henno

Return to Irish Planning Matters