Attic conversions - exempt development

Re: Attic conversions - exempt development

Postby esterelle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:40 pm

Archie wrote:So your local PA is the authoritative voice when it comes to making planning determinations rather than ABP.

I suppose you'll be telling us next that none of their decisions have ever been successfully appealed.

I have certified quite a few developments of this kind and I can sleep easily in my bed at night knowing that Im right.

You are quite correct Archie, ABP are the ultimate decision makers in respect of planning applications and S5 referrals. And in the case of attics its really the S5 referrals which are of importance. Wearnicehats has given us a potted planning history of 32 Ballinclea Heights but significantly neglected to highlight the landmark S5 Reference decision whih allowed for 6 large Velux windows on the front roofslope. It should be borne in mind now that solar panels are now allowed on front roofslopes also as exempted development (12 square metres maximum) and as these have similar characteristics to Velux windows we can expect lots more such decisions from ABP. These days the emphasisis is on getting as much natural light as possible into residential units and with energy saving being high on the agenda we will not see any drawing back from that policy.
esterelle

Postby wearnicehats » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:16 pm

esterelle wrote:This is all great research by "wearnicehats" but quite meaningless in the context of what we are dealing with here. When I am dealing with a client who wants to have their attic converted, I ask a few simple questions. 1. Is the conversion for habitable use. 2. Do you want a dormer window. 3. When do you want the job done.
Planners are a very confused lot when it comes to attics. They do not like to put much in writing, they prefer "clinics" instead. There are notable exceptions, Dun Laoghaire for example.
My advice to anyone wanting their attic converted is this. Contact a reputable attic conversion firm. They will give you the facts and the difficulties straight off. Remember you can have an attic converted for storage purposes first. No requirement for planning permission, as works involved are are internal (works are not development)
If you then decide you want your conversion to accomodate a bedroom you need ro comply with Part B of the Building Regs. This may or may not involve a planning application. It certainly will if you want a dormer window. That rule applies in every county in Ireland. If you are happy with a Velux window you will most propably never need to meet a Local Authority planner. The Velux window must be one which satisfies the requirements of the aforementioned Part B of the Regs. External works such as are requitred to put in a Velux window are development. However the works will more than likely be exempted development under Part 4 of the 2000 Planning Act. Look at houses around you and see have they Velux windows. If they have you can take it that your Velux is almost certainly exempted under 4 (1) (h) as your roof will be in character with your neighbours roofs.
"Wearnicehats" long winded dissertation is very nice but of no practical use. I suspect he may work in a local authority. Make your own mids up folks. There are lots of agendas out there.

sounds a bit similar to post #58.

incidentally my post was meant to indicate to archie that, if the planners and ABP take 3 years to agree / disagree on what's exempt, the clause in the PDA woul dseem to be a little open to interpretation
wearnicehats

Postby henno » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Archie wrote:So your local PA is the authoritative voice when it comes to making planning determinations rather than ABP.
I suppose you'll be telling us next that none of their decisions have ever been successfully appealed.

I have certified quite a few developments of this kind and I can sleep easily in my bed at night knowing that Im right.

*sigh*

again, an bord pleanala determine issues on a case by case basis... their determinations are NOT planning law

my local authority, and surrounding authorities, require planning permission to be sought for habitable attic conversions.

regarding certification.... thats fine. Your opinion would differ from mine. That does not make your opinion right or wrong, as arguably, an opinion can be neither.
henno

Postby wearnicehats » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:32 pm

paul you might do us all a favour and lock this thread because no-one (especially not me) is going to back down and it's all getting a little boring
wearnicehats

Postby esterelle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:16 pm

henno wrote:*sigh*

again, an bord pleanala determine issues on a case by case basis... their determinations are NOT planning law

my local authority, and surrounding authorities, require planning permission to be sought for habitable attic conversions.

regarding certification.... thats fine. Your opinion would differ from mine. That does not make your opinion right or wrong, as arguably, an opinion can be neither.

And it would never dawn on you that your Local Authority, wherever it might be could be wrong. As for planning law, you can take it that when ABP say that the internal works involved in converting an attic are not development, that applies in your County also. If they say that dormer windows need planning permission always then that applies everywhere also. Its not rocket science so lets not try to introduce confusion when there is no need to. But of course if someone feels they must for some reason go for planning permission when its not necessary then why would anybody try to stop them.
And by the way far from being boring this debate is both interesting and enlightening.
esterelle

Previous

Return to Irish Planning Matters