Foul Soakaways

Foul Soakaways

Postby JacobsSlave » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:42 pm

I'currently setting out two sites for a couple selling a portion of there property. The house is old and has an old septic tank with a soakaway beside it. Is there regs for foul soakaways as to how far a boundary has to be away from it. An access road to the new second site currently goes over this soakaway. Can the boundary be next to this soakaway, can a vehicle right of way be given over, or nex to this soakaway.

Regs on ercolation areas may apply, but so far as the right of way goes and distance of an access road to the soakaway, i cant find any regs etc on this.

JS.
JacobsSlave

Re: Foul Soakaways

Postby pico » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:44 pm

Look at SR6 from the NSAI.
Think it must be 3 metres from any boundary, with no road above allowed...
pico

Re: Foul Soakaways

Postby JB » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:36 pm

Soakaways are not to be confused with Percolation areas. You should be very careful to allow space within the curtilage of the site of the existing cottage for the installation of a complete new percolation area should any extension works ever be carried out to the property, and to allow adequate seperation distances from any possible future percolation area to any new houses proposed on the sites you are setting out. If you don't it will make re sale of the existing property very difficult as in my experience, particularly where it is proposed to provide additional bedrooms, most LA's will insist on an upgrade of an existing sewage system. SR 6 doesn't apply to soakaways, as they are considered inadeqaute under that standard, and definitely do not put an access road over the soakaway because if anything goes wrong with it, it may need to be opened up, meaning your access road has to come up with it.
JB

Return to Irish Planning Matters