Comments about planning for an UCC assignment

Comments about planning for an UCC assignment

Postby Tonhauser » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:15 pm

Dear forum users,

Who is interested in commenting on the Irish planning system?

I'm currently studying at the Department of Government at the UCC in Cork as an Erasmus student from Germany. As an assignment for the module "Planning Policy in Ireland" our lecturer Dr. Aodh Quinlivan asked us to write an assessment of the current Irish planning system. He explicitly encouraged us to interview architects, developers, officials from the local authorities and other people that are normally involved in the planning system. I've already interviewed two planners from Cork City Council and from Cork County Council and I tried to get hold of architects from Cork as well. However, no architect replied to my mails. I stumbled across this forum by accident and thought it might be a good way to get a few comments.

So, if you're interested in commenting on the Irish planning system, write a post in this thread (stating your full name, if possible) or write me an e-mail (if you don't want to state you're name in public). Also, if you're an architect and from Cork, I would be happy to meet you and conduct a short interview of no more than twenty minutes in the next week (Jan 28 - Feb 2). You would be provided with a written transcript of the conversation afterwards which you could alter to your liking.

The essay will not be published.

Questions of interest to me would be:

What is planning for you (in abstract terms)?

How do you feel about the new Planning and Development (Strategic Infrastructure) Act 2006?

Is planning in Ireland the complete antithesis to what it should be?

What would you try to change in the Irish planning system if you could?

More info on the essay:
Our essay assignment says that we are to discuss the statement that "planning in Ireland has become the complete antithesis of what it should be" in the context of recent developments such as the passing of the Planning and Development (Strategic Infrastructure) Act 2006. To quote from the assignment: "The essay is deliberately broad and open-ended. The statement suggests a fundamental discussion of what constitutes proper planning; a brief history of planning law in Ireland may be required, the different motivations of key stakeholders is important and the reconciliation of their differing motivations. Primary data (e.g. gathered through interviews) is impressive, as is the use of practical examples/case studies to illustrate the point(s) you are trying to make."

My e-mail: matthias.tonhaeuser "[at]" uni-konstanz.de

Thank you very much!

Yours sincerely,

Matthias Tonhäuser
Tonhauser

Re: Comments about planning for an UCC assignment

Postby Tonhauser » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Come on, nobody?
Tonhauser

Return to Irish Planning Matters