Cert of Compliance

Cert of Compliance

Postby Barry Hall » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:25 pm

I've just recieved a request for addtional information on an application for Retention Permission. The L.A. have asked me to submit a Cert of Compliance with Building Regulations for the unauthorised development. Can Building Control force the Planners to do their job for them like this?
Barry Hall

Re: Cert of Compliance

Postby wearnicehats » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:43 pm

in a word, yes

compliance with building regs is required as part of Planning Compliance. They are mutually dependant. As you didn't get planning for whatever, it is entirely reasonable for the planners to check that what was built is fit for occupation, before they grant permission.
wearnicehats

Postby Barry Hall » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:31 pm

Sounds reasonable, but I have seen a decision from An Bord Pleanála in which conditions that the Council had imposed in relation to Building Control were removed on the basis that they were not planning matters - that would appear to conflict with this current course of action.
Barry Hall

Postby VT1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 am

Barry

From doing work on a few properties previously. my architect has always insisted that 2 seperate Opinions on Compliance be issued for Planning Permission and Building Regulations , as I think these are both governed by seperate ACts (ie Planning and Developments Acts and the Building Control Act). It would seem unusual to be asked for this!

For example I had heard of a job where someone was granted planning for to convert attic to bedroom , even though the design did not comply with building regs and from a certification point of view had to be certified as storage space!!!!!!!!

VT
VT1

Postby Barry Hall » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:57 pm

This request from the L.A. is now further complicated by the fact that the unauthorised extension was built in 1986 - prior to the Building Control Act. Is it reasonable to expect it to comply with legislation that was not even in written at the time. I should add that there is nothing controversial about this extension and it would certainly have recieved permission if it had been applied for at the time.
Barry Hall

Postby Bren88 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:02 pm

They probably wont expect you to apply fully with current regs, you probable wont apply with Part L for example. They probably want to make sure that structure and ventilation etc are good
Bren88

Postby Barry Hall » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:43 pm

- spoke to the Building Control Officer and in light of the fact that it was built in 1986 they are waiving the compliance issue - I just have to send them a letter from my client witnessed by a Notary stating the date of construction.
Barry Hall

Postby ConK » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:04 pm

Anybody know of an architect that will do a cert of compliance in the Dublin 1 area?
I've rang some list on the RIAI.IE website but I t hink it is too small work for them.

I rebuilt extension to my house, it is exempt from planning perm.
ConK

Postby nikmead » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:07 pm

ConK wrote:Anybody know of an architect that will do a cert of compliance in the Dublin 1 area?
I've rang some list on the RIAI.IE website but I t hink it is too small work for them.

I rebuilt extension to my house, it is exempt from planning perm.

If it's under 40 sq.m and it's at the back it's exempt, except if there was planning permission applied for before for an extension or alteration to the house- then it's not exempt.
nikmead

Return to Ireland