Compulsory Purchase of private garden

Compulsory Purchase of private garden

Postby JamesX » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:50 pm

I have been made aware of a council plan to build 100 houses in a public park in order to "increase security" in it. ...

I am in a private housing estate adjacent to said park (council manage the green parts of it) and the proposed plan shows that the only way they managed to squeeze the last 4 houses in was to place them so that one and a half of them begin in my small back garden !

Now I know its only a early stages plan and that the draughtsman might have been chancing his arm when dragging and dropping the icons (if my garden boundaries were respected all 4 of the houses would not be able to be built) but all the same ... what are the chances of the council slapping a compulsory purchase order on my on my tiny back garden so that they can build houses on it then sell these off for their own gain ?

Just curious at this stage. All replies appreciated.
JamesX

Re: Compulsory Purchase of private garden

Postby Bob Dole » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:16 pm

The chances are none at all. The Local Authority can only compulsorily acquire the land if it is essential.
For their purpose "to improve security of the locality by removing the park as an open space", building on your garden is not necessary.

It would be a different story if the park was fully landlocked for vehicular traffic, and the only way to get a road in would be through your garden.
Bob Dole

Postby JamesX » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:18 pm

Bob thanks for that. Clearly the guys doing up the plan were determined to get the number of houses up to 100 no matter what the cost. Appreciate it. They plan to make about 4 entrances into the park (none thru my garden) ini addition to 3 that are already there so no worries on that front. The whole scheme stinks but wanted to sort out the NIMBY issue first !

Appreciate the quick reply.

Kind Regards,

James.
JamesX

Postby PVC King » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:44 pm

I'd say you should be ok I doubt that they would go to the hassle of the entire CPO process of public inquiries and the number of notices required in the press to squeeze in a couple of extra units.

Only important infrastructural projects and large scale projects such as 100 houses or at least 1 hectare of park would merit the amount of procedure that this process generates.

Please keep us all informed if there are any developments
PVC King

Postby JamesX » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:25 pm

Will do !

Kind Regards,

J
JamesX

Return to Irish Planning Matters