Planning permission/ownership

Planning permission/ownership

Postby JO'B » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:11 pm

Is there any planning rule that means you have to own the land to apply for planning permission? I am trying to obtain planning permission for some works to a abandoned garage adjacent to my house. I (and the previous owner before me) have been adversely possessing the property for over 20 years. Is the planning application likely to be automatically rejected becauase of this?
JO'B

Re: Planning permission/ownership

Postby urbanisto » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:16 pm

Yes, you must be the owner of the land or an agent acting with the express permission of the owner to apply for planning permission.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:57 pm

Timescales are crucial get legal advice
PVC King

Postby sw101 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:52 pm

StephenC wrote:Yes, you must be the owner of the land or an agent acting with the express permission of the owner to apply for planning permission.

you can apply for planning on land you don't own wih the express consent of the owner. how else would people buy subject to planning permission being approved?

if you don't know who owns it, go to the land registry and find out.
sw101

Postby JO'B » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:51 am

The last registered ownership was in 1950. It was in the rear of a garden to a large house. The garden was sold for housing which was build in the early 1950s and then again in the late 70s. The large house itself has been sold a couple of times since then and was sold without the garage attached. The previous owner of our house had possession for 22 years until he died but never applied to register the land. We have now had it for 6 years.

We have stated on the application that we are the owners by adverse possession.
JO'B

Return to Ireland