New House

New House

Postby purple1703 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:08 pm

I'm planning to start my new house next month and have being looking at my options. Im looking for some help. A pic below of what Im building. Im just wondering I like the idea of putting a stone finish to the bottom of the house as you can see on the pic but I havn't seen it done anywhere!! Is there regulations on this? If I was to go ahead with the stone, would I put a thin layor on top of block as I dont want it to be sticking out like a soar thumb! or could I replace the outside block with stone and build on that I know many engineers prop wouldnt agree with the second one.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated
:) Thanks
Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

purple1703

Re: New House

Postby hutton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Just what Galway needs, another bungalow :rolleyes:

Are you seriously looking for comments/ architectural critique for that on this forum? :D

Very amusing...
hutton

Postby Bren88 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:32 am

Suppose ill answer your question. Your second idea is not a good one. Stone used like that isn't going to be a good structural base for blockwork to go above it.
The first idea ia the right one. Well basically. Your aren't giving it enough thought though. You're mistaken in thinking that the stone "stuck" on to the blockwork would be sticking out. Because you are taking count of the sand & cement render on top of the blocks. This render layer will decrease the amount of stone shown and combined with a good chunky belcast it can easily finish flush. If this will look good enough is up to you.
Bren88

Postby a boyle » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:00 am

I am sorry but your house is as ugly as sin. If you want advice . knock it down.

If you want a big house , build it 3 storeys high.

That little porch thing held up with two sticks doesn't look imposing and grand. It looks cheap and tatty. It suggests you went out looking for refinement but ended up in brothel.

You might think i am harsh. but this design , the new bungalow standard, is the worst . It is neither interesting , nor boring. It doesn't fit in in a rural , suburban. or urban setting. It is frightful.

If you want to improve it, or at least hide it's obnoxious bulk (how many children do you have ?) Then plant some trees to hide it . take away the front porch thing, Put in a woooooden door, and woooooden double glazing. And plant some ivy on in .

I would like to be in a position to post up some photos of decents large country houses , but i don't have any to hand, and don't have the time to find some. So get in your car and drive around to find out what a nice big rural house looks like
a boyle

Postby purple1703 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:22 am

Mr A. Boyle each to their own is I say .. you try and get planning permission for a three story house in this country and see how far you get!!!

I appreciate your commments and will not be changing a thing.. I never asked anyone to comment on the house....are you able to read?? ovbiously not its not built yet plus its not a bungalow ...blind as well..

Get out of the ancient mode the year is 2006 why would I build a large country house that looks ancient.

thank you Hutton for your comments appreciated.
purple1703

Postby hutton » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:09 am

Sorry I knew this waas going to be a case of *get popcorn* - they can be pretty vicious here on archiseek... Well best of luck with the wood chip stove anyway; Any other innovative aspects to it?

H
hutton

Postby hutton » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:18 am

a boyle wrote:your house is as ugly as sin. If you want advice . knock it down.

:eek: :D

Ah A Boyle, ye had to do it, didnt you? 5 posts in total and Purple 1703 has probably now retired for ever after such a savage mauling by the Fashionist style patrol that is archiseek members...snigger, snigger

BTW Whats all this about building 3 floors high; are there not enough McMansiions already being trown up?:confused:
hutton

Postby a boyle » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:03 pm

[quote="hutton"]BTW Whats all this about building 3 floors high]

well to my mind the reason it is so offensive is that is it basically the traditional country bungalow supersized. The man wants to build a big house so you have to deal with that.

I have seen many very nice looking large modern houses in rural settings (well cork, just in fact in cork. they seem to have been bred to have a bit more taste than the rest of the country)

Some of them were three storey set in front hill or in a dip , and they looked really well. Of course the owners had clearly paid for an architect to design an appropriate large house instead of pulling something out of his ****.

People who build this kinds of houses are just bad people. You know its true , i have met them before ...
a boyle

Postby hutton » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:20 pm

a boyle wrote:...People who build this kinds of houses are just bad people. You know its true...

Hmmm but we thought/ hoped that as they are doing a wood-chip burner that there might be something better :( sniff, sniff...
And all the time we were just being lulled into a false sense of security :eek: ...This is all just too subversive...It must be Paul C taking the piss ;)
hutton

Postby Frank Taylor » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:35 pm

a boyle wrote:I have seen many very nice looking large modern houses in rural settings (well cork, just in fact in cork. they seem to have been bred to have a bit more taste than the rest of the country)
Have you got any photos of what you consider a nice looking rural contemporary house?
Frank Taylor

Postby a boyle » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:46 pm

no i don't i am sorry . and i won't be there for some months. But i will try to take photos next time i am in the republic....
a boyle

Postby purple1703 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:44 am

Is everyone ganging up on A Boyle woo hoo!! It would be great if you could get some pics of the houses you have seen in Cork. By the way I am a woman

Basically I have been told by GCC to built that house as there is a similar one each side of the site. I was originally going 4 a 2 story but was turned down saying that I had to build similar type as my neighbours unfortunatly.

Im all into the bioenergy ,,anything to save a few pounds ,, I am more inclined to go for goethermal pump as I have heard and seen that woodpellet boilers can be trouble some...putting in solar panels to heat water and maybe a small windmill
purple1703

Postby a boyle » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:06 am

why don't you search this website on the topic of one off housing to see if they are indeed ganging up on me.

If you want to be green and environmentally friendly , then build a smaller house.

You may have to build something similar to your neighbours , but you don't have to put a tacky porch on it.
a boyle

Postby purple1703 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:13 am

its was just an example i downloaded from the internet and was asking about the stone finish! I am not keen on the pole outside my front door!
purple1703

Postby purple1703 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:20 am

A boyle why are so so against 1 off housing.. should a person be able to build on their own land???

I agree it should be controlled but I grew up in the country why shouldn't I be able to build in the country. what annoys me is that every Tom Dick and Harry coming from the city being able to get planning permission and those who have lived in a village all their lives are refused
purple1703

Postby a boyle » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:29 am

purple1703 wrote:A boyle why are so so against 1 off housing.. should a person be able to build on their own land???

I agree it should be controlled but I grew up in the country why shouldn't I be able to build in the country. what annoys me is that every Tom Dick and Harry coming from the city being able to get planning permission and those who have lived in a village all their lives are refused

Agree with you , people from the country should be allowed build in the country. and city folk shouldn't be living in naas ,portarlington etc. etc.

Next time don't vote for fianna fail. then your county won't be raped by dublin. Till then.. .. . bring the cul de sac m3 o ooooo h yeah.

I just could not live in somethig so ugly. what happenned to the basic cottage from the 1950's 60 70 80 ?... I have been in dozens they are a good deal smaller than your photo. And so didn't shout for so much attention. Some of the ones i have been in were extended into an L , which meant they were nice and big , but again didn't take over the countryside.

Hang on couldn't you just live in village ?
a boyle

Postby KerryBog2 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Boyler,
Is it yourself that's doin' the two auld wans like Brendan Behan did in the Evening Press? Takin' the piss?
How could anyone who took the trouble to sign in to Archiseek and read anything on this BB regard that box as anything other than an ugly heap of organic fertiliser?
As for the plinth, why not use the plastic sticky-on fake stone that was all the rage in the 1960's and can still be seen in parts of the country?
Shur it would be mighty!
KB2
KerryBog2

Postby a boyle » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:10 pm

would that it were me taking the piss.
a boyle

Return to Irish Planning Matters