Compliance with Building Regs

Postby Siobhan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:21 pm

Question 1: I bought an apartment last year. After I had snagged, paid and moved in I noticed that there were no vents put into the windows in the bedroom (the same situtation with all 30 apartments in the block). How did the architect sign off legally on a Certificate of Compliance when there was such an abvious flaw (well to an architect anyway) in the apartments?

Question 2: The developers came back and put a vent into the window but the problem hasn't been resolved. My window cill and frame is still soaked with water a lot of the time. The window cill is now warped and there is mould on the walls. Does anyone know if there could be a bigger problem with the window? And also whether legal action against the developer and/or architect will get me anywhere?
Siobhan

Re: Compliance with Building Regs

Postby Bren88 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:05 am

Can you give a little more detail on the problem, was there no ventilation in the room at all? Vents built-in windows are used to hide large ugly vents, it is possible that the room was design with such vents and at a later stage somebody changed the windows to be used without being aware of what he was doing.
Has the mould started since or before the change was made, and what is the workmanship like on the modification, I know of a similar job where an addition to a job was badly done and left a bigger problem than it was to fix.
Bren88

Postby Siobhan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:34 pm

No vents at all in the room or in the window.
Mould buid-up was before the job was done and still continuing after a vent was put in.
The window frames and winddow cill are still very wet and must be mopped dry everyday.
a new window was put in with a vent. The vent is fine and the workmanship looks good. So I'm very confused as to what might be causing the problem and also what comeback I have
Siobhan

Postby Bren88 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:12 am

It is possible that the vents installed are simply not adequate to achieve the required number of air changes for the room. If the window board requires mopping each day then the mould is going to keep growing and will continue to be a problem.
Bren88

Postby tyrrp » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:10 pm

I assume you realise your appartment is most likely still under warrantee. Contact the builder, or the estate agent you bought from. Start as polite as you can and if after a few tries if you get nothing back then send a solicitors letter. Tell them you will go to the council about it and report to the Health and Safety Authority.

Make sure you keep records of every letter, phone call and e-mail.
tyrrp

Return to Irish Planning Matters