Luas extension B1 Line

Luas extension B1 Line

Postby LittleLamb » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on the B1 extension to the Luas line, I think it runs from Sandyford to Cherrywood. Have the dates for submissions passed or is there a public consultation happening?
Thanks for any info you may have :)
LittleLamb

Re: Luas extension B1 Line

Postby a boyle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:12 pm

LittleLamb wrote:Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on the B1 extension to the Luas line, I think it runs from Sandyford to Cherrywood. Have the dates for submissions passed or is there a public consultation happening?
Thanks for any info you may have :)

Hmmm you are are way too late for any of the public consultation. You can look at the proposed plan on the rpa website. You are not too late for giving an opinion on some of the other rpa suggestions however!
a boyle

Postby PVC King » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:20 pm

In relation to B1 you may find this on the money:

http://www.platform11.org/reports/

It is at the bottom of the page
PVC King

Postby JJ » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:56 pm

Luas Cherrywood extension Railway Order inquiry was held the week before last and summing up was on last Monday so the inquiry has now closed. Not sure if its still possible to make submissions to the inspector.
jj
JJ

Postby SeamusOG » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:56 pm

Thomond Park wrote:In relation to B1 you may find this on the money:

http://www.platform11.org/reports/

It is at the bottom of the page

I understood from their website that Platform 11 had dropped their objection to the proposed route. Or was that only certain bits of it? The way they put it is this:
"In light of recent information received with respect to Metro Platform 11 has now withdrawn its objections to the Glencairn routing." http://www.platform11.org/news/news.php?year=2006&no=9.html
SeamusOG

Postby LittleLamb » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Thanks for all your helpful replies. I am really interested in reading the Platform 11 submission and other articles on this topic. I am having a problem when opening the news items though, is anyone else experiencing the same problem or is it just my computer?:confused:
LittleLamb

Postby garethace » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:53 pm

There seems to be a bit of news in the media at the moment, about rising property values along LUAS lines. According to our newspaper media at least, it seems to be a simple cause and effect relationship. Wherever the line goes, the land values will rise accordingly. Prices rises from 300,000 to 1 million not being uncommon.

I just find it interesting, from a train operators point of view - to make the line profitable, they are often forced to come up with some innovative solutions. Here is a quote from a recent Nicholas G. Carr article at Business and Strategy web site. Expect, this sort of venture to become commonplace in Dublin in the near future. Things like Dublin Zoo, out of fashion for a long number of years, might find a way to re-invent themselves and prove popular again as destinations for off-peak commuters on the LUAS rail lines. It is not all about rising land values, and residential price hikes. That is the point that newspaper media seems to miss, at the moment.

Brian O' Hanlon.

the operators of streetcar systems in U.S. cities were struggling with a different challenge: earning a decent return on their capital-intensive rail networks. Although many people traveled on the lines during weekday rush hours, commuting back and forth to work, few rode them at other times. The imbalance in demand undermined the profitability of the operators. They had to build their systems to accommodate the peaks in usage, but most of the time their expensive systems generated little revenue.

Realizing that they needed to boost ridership during nonpeak hours, the streetcar operators hit on a brilliant idea: Build amusement parks outside city centers. In the summer of 1897, for example, Boston’s Commonwealth Avenue Street Railway opened Norumbega Park, complete with a zoo, a theater, and a carousel, at the end of its line in the suburb of Newton. By 1901, according to historian David Nye, more than half of the country’s urban transit companies had opened such “trolley parks” — and they proved a great complement to streetcar service. They not only increased the lines’ passenger load during nights and weekends, but they enabled the companies to operate much more efficiently. Since at the time transit companies owned the electricity generators that powered their trains, they were able to significantly increase the capacity utilization of those power plants, making their businesses much more capital-efficient. And a side benefit would later emerge: The technological innovations required to build safe roller-coasters and other rides could be used to improve the rail lines themselves.

http://www.strategy-business.com/press/article/06202?pg=0
garethace

Return to Irish Planning Matters