Are Stables exempted developemt

Are Stables exempted developemt

Postby Kerrylass » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:14 am

Hi there

Hopefully some one can give me a definitive answer to this problem.

I have a domestic dwelling and sperate garage constructed on a .75 acre site. The site is located in an area that has been zoned as white lands with a lot of agricultural activites conducted adjacent to the site. Additionally there is a number of new houses after being constructed in the local area (one of which would be within 35 m of the proposed structure)

What I want to do is construct two stables approximately 3.6 m square and one tack room approximatly 3.6*2.0 m on the site. According to the exempted development book let I can construct a structure of 25 sq m on my site, but am not allowed to keep various live stock in it. What i intend to construct is a de-mountable structure similar to that at this link http://www.causewaycoaststables.co.uk/stable16.html

Would I require planning permission for this? The horse is a registered sports horse (the horse board seems to think i won't need permission), and will be grazing on the ajoining farm. Having spoke with the environmental office, the disposal of the waste will not be an issue.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Kerry
Kerrylass

Re: Are Stables exempted developemt

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:09 pm

Have you asked your local planning authority?
Request a Section 5 Declaration as you're entitled to do under the 2000 Act. This requires them to tell you whether or not you need PP or if a certain development is Exempted Development.

Also, there might be a Change of Use aspect to this, depending on the previous use of the land, and CoU requires PP in many cases.

PS Doesn't ([3.6*3.6] + [3.6*3.6] + [3.6*2]), or 9.2*3.6 = 33.12 sq.m., i.e. over the 25 sq.m. threshold?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Kerrylass » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:15 pm

Many thanks for that.

I am in the process of preparing such a request.

And yes the size is over the 25 sq meter threshold, but as the structure is de-mountable I am lead to believe that it is exempt. Also the majority of individuals selling the structure states that you don't need permission.

Additionally on Teagasc is all about percerving the Irish Sports Horse.
Kerrylass

Postby ctesiphon » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:23 am

I'm not sure whether the 'demountability' of the structure makes a huge difference, particularly if it's going to be staying in the one place for a period. Also, I wouldn't take the word of the salesmen!:)

Maybe you could get one of Brian Cowen's beloved tax breaks for the horse which might offset the cost of your application? I know I have the Aga Khan's number around here somewhere- he'd be able to point you in the right direction.;)

Best of luck.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:29 pm

if it's demountable, all that will help with is making it easy to demount it when it's discovered to be an illegal structure. as has been said, request a secton 5 and go from there.
sw101

Postby Frank Taylor » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:16 pm

Why waste your time worrying about planning rules when you could ask Boss Hogg to see you right?

Jackie:
064-32467 Kerry Office
01-618 3363 Dublin Office
Frank Taylor

Postby Kerrylass » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:41 pm

Apart form Dukz of Hazard, I am lost with regards to who Boss Hogg is!

Thanks to all who has replied. I will be requesting a section 5 on the matter. It is strange that no where does it spell it out clearly, not even in the Planning Law! Surely someone has the answer somewhere. Virtually everyone I have asked, those selling them, people you have erected them and even the Horse Board, says that planning permission is not required. Is it a case that Planning is not required untill there is an objection?

Thanks
Kerrylass

Postby Bluke » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:22 am

Don't bother with the Section 5 request. Stables are not exempt.

To quote the Irish Planning Law Factbook...
Class 3 exemption Limitations - "It shall not be used for human habitation, or keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies, or horses or any other purpose other than one which is incidental to the enjoyment of the house"
Bluke

Return to Irish Planning Matters