Palmerston Park (Grianblah)

Re: Palmerston Park (Grianblah)

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:38 pm

Probably just a hangover from the bank holiday weekend. ;) Maybe give them a quick ring, though I'd imagine it will be any day now.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby altotude » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Still not up but if you search on the Dublin City Planning records it says the appeal decision was to grant permission!!
altotude

Postby publicrealm » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:12 pm

altotude wrote:Still not up but if you search on the Dublin City Planning records it says the appeal decision was to grant permission!!

Yes - granted - an interesting decision. http://www.pleanala.ie/REP/220/R220979.DOC

The Inspector considered the DCC permission invalid due to the unauthorised works but felt the Board had no power to refuse on this ground.

Seems to open up interesting possibilities for circumventing the planning system. Not a good precedent from ABP or DCC in my view.
publicrealm

Postby altotude » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:29 am

A further application has been made, this time for a revision of the existing permission - didn't know you could do that. It (below) means little me as a layman and seems ancillary to the main development. However, from the road what is being built doesn't resemble too closely what I had expected the permission to equal.

"Revisions to previously approved scheme (Reg ref 5183/06 and PL29S220979) comprising the forming of a new vehicular entrance ope, piers and gates at north east of property including the removal of existing tree and forming of dipped footpath outside the curtilage of the property; the alteration of existing vehicular entrance at North West of property to form narrow ope and pedestrian gate; related revisions to landscaping and hard surfacing within the curtilage of the property."
altotude

Postby jimg » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:44 pm

Passing this corner recently, the results of this planning fiasco are plain to see.

Given the highish walls around this site, you'd hope that the impact would be minimised but there is now a very ugly blank modern "gable" overlooking the Orchard Road South wall. The new building is visible from the gate and over the wall from Palmerston Park and is horrendous. It easily matches the gombeen tastlessness of the once-off faux-Georgian piles dotting the countryside.

This is simply a shameful example of planning failure: the ignorance and arrogance of the owners - not even offering the pretence of caring about the planning procedures and the bored laziness and incompetence of the planning officials involved.

I am being bitter I know - and it is no compensation for the reality that the original distinctive and attractive period building is never coming back and the new pile-of-shite is there for the foreseeable future - but I feel a tiny flicker of satisfaction knowing that the owners' laughable taste and ignorant behaviour is going to hurt them financially. Unlike hoping that the planning dept would actually do it's job, I'd be more optimistic in this regard; suspect that if they ever try to sell, they'd be lucky to recover half of what they've spent on it; the morons have pissed away 3 or 4 million euro.
jimg

Postby publicrealm » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Agreed Jimg.

Such a pity really. The illegally demolished house had a trillion times more character and yet had the modesty and confidence to blend into its context.

The current pallatzo appropriates the view and jumps up and down on a bouncy castle. I suspect that the owner and the property are perfectly matched however. (Personally, I would be ashamed to be seen on the enormous balcony which dominates the view towards Palmerson Park.)

Incidentally, the modest amendment application mentioned by Altotude had a hidden element - the removal of one of the old (100 years?) tress on the pavement outside the site. This was very carefully hidden and every drawing and cgi coincidentally erred in not showing it.

Refused by DCC and currently overdue from the Board (1st Party appeal) (Reg Ref 5183/06, PL29S.220979).
publicrealm

Postby publicrealm » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:28 pm

QUOTE=publicrealm;
Incidentally, the modest amendment application mentioned by Altotude had a hidden element - the removal of one of the old (100 years?) trees on the pavement outside the site. This was very carefully hidden and every drawing and cgi coincidentally erred in not showing it.

QUOTE]

Sadly, I noted damage to a different tree on the footpath this am.

Caused by the contractors laying the tarmacadam driveway into the house. Tree is probably a contemporary of that proposed for removal (by the applicant - i.e. about/more than 100 years old).

I don't know if the damage is life threatening?

I think I have attached a poorish photo taken early this morning? :o
Attachments
IMGP0849.JPG
IMGP0849.JPG (88.18 KiB) Viewed 809 times
publicrealm

Postby noel o'gara » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:34 am

jimg wrote:Passing this corner recently, the results of this planning fiasco are plain to see.

This is simply a shameful example of planning failure: the ignorance and arrogance of the owners - not even offering the pretence of caring about the planning procedures and the bored laziness and incompetence of the planning officials involved.

I am being bitter I know - and it is no compensation for the reality that the original distinctive and attractive period building is never coming back and the new pile-of-shite is there for the foreseeable future - but I feel a tiny flicker of satisfaction knowing that the owners' laughable taste and ignorant behaviour is going to hurt them financially. Unlike hoping that the planning dept would actually do it's job, I'd be more optimistic in this regard; suspect that if they ever try to sell, they'd be lucky to recover half of what they've spent on it; the morons have pissed away 3 or 4 million euro.

Sure, the fool paid a fortune and knocked down a lovely house of charm and character and built a rotten one in its place.
Its his money squandered and his land so bully for him.
It takes all kinds and that is what freedom means. Why should you people dictate to him? If you wish to change your own house or garden why should the neighbours tell you what to do? If you create a nuisance or damage their property they can sue you for damages.
noel o'gara

Postby johnglas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:20 pm

So, the developer ignores the planning permission, nobody else has any right to 'dictate' and it can all be 'settled' by allowing expensive lawyers to rip everyone off - what kind of nightmare scenario is that?
Any views of the resulting monstrosity? To demolish a perfectly decent house of character on a whim and replace it with... anything, just about, hardly seems justified. The architects must have known what was afoot and they are criminally complicit.
johnglas

Previous

Return to Ireland