way to create a landmark, winnipeg

World architecture... what's happening generally....

way to create a landmark, winnipeg

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:05 am

So once upon a time Winnipeg had a mayor who thought a little outside of the box and tried to rekickstart downtown. As part of that, a new bridge was built linking the two former separate cities of Winnipeg and St. Boniface (they were merged in 1972). A sexy bridge to give the city a landmark.

As part of the bridge, they built a large kiosk designed for a high end restaurant use. Fabulous views day and night, winter and summer. But no-one took the city up on the offer as the costs of fitting it out were high.

Now they've just announced that Salisbury House, a local greasy spoon chain is to open in it. Salisbury House is like the locally grown equivalent of Dennys. And to add insult to injury they're going to put a massive red sign on it.

Two things: the current mayor is a former shareholder of Salisbury House's parent company. And Salisbury House's main clientale is the old who like to drive everywhere in this city. The restaurant is in the middle of a long bridge, so I cannot see their base clientale filling the place.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: way to create a landmark, winnipeg

Postby sw101 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:22 pm

not the prettiest of bridges, but good lord that canopy looks waaay out of place.
sw101

Postby L1 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:32 pm

Must say I agree. Its pretty awkward. :confused:
L1

Postby Ranger Josh » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:41 pm

I happen to love the look of the bridge and although salisbury house might not be the best restaurant out there to put on a bridge, i think it'll get well used (a fair number of people walk from st B to downtown everyday, straight across that bridge). Plus, salisbury house is a manitoba landmark, aside from a social, you cant get much more manitoban than that. Maybe you just have to be born and raised manitoba to get it.
Ranger Josh

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:49 pm

shudder... socials... been to one, never again....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Ranger Josh » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:37 pm

just goes to show: you gotta be manitoban...
Ranger Josh

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:19 pm

or 16 looking for a drink ;)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Ranger Josh » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:36 pm

try 18, i can drink anywhere, socials just happen to be where everyone else is, which makes them awesome
Ranger Josh

Postby Shad_23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:57 am

No offence to Sal's, it's a great stop for the after bar trip, but hopefully Sal's doesn't stay in that location for long.. they might'as well put a McDonald's there, lord knows it would be just as out of place..

That bridge had wayy to much money put into it by the people of this city, HOPEFULLY they class up that joint to something not quite as greesy..

Imagine a place where you can go for nice romantic walks, take in the breath-taking view of the stars, water, and the moon along with the Forks Light show, then you head over to Sal's to enjoy a romantic greesed-up artery clogging burger and fries to go along with all of the loud drunks who happen to walk in.. Now I believe something more along the lines of a restaurant similar to Royal Crown (revolving restaurant) type of atmosphere maybe just a class down from that so you can walk in after a nice walk and feel comfortable..

Anyways that's my 2cents, and I'm sure you'll eventually come around and see it my-way if you don't already.

Thanks-you for your reading time,
-=Shad=-
Shad_23

Postby quill » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:55 am

Love the new bridge and the Salisbury House! It's tradition of which we don't have enough of. Great canopy and I'm sure the restaurant will look beautiful when I visit it from Victoria where I live after being raised in Winnipeg on Nips! Go Bombers!:)
quill

Postby wnpgguy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:11 am

That bridge has taken over winnipegs image. Its a landmark now for the city. If it were a high chain restaurant it wouldn't be the great place it is. It attracts people of all ranges. Great place
wnpgguy

Postby Shad_23 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:27 pm

It's been awhile since my last post, heh..

I know Sal's is a City landmark, but what kind of landmark is that in the view of North America? Come to Winnipeg, and enjoy burgers that will screw your health? I still believe we need a better restaurant in that location.

I'm sticking by my restaurant a step down from the Revolving Restaurant.

I saw that we have an excited 18 year old, probably 20 now. In a few years you'll understand a bit more about why I'm saying these things.. It probably seems like the "Dopest Spot" currently, but age brings a tastes of class and no offence to Sal's but I don't think that's the class people world wide will want to see in such a location.

Anyways there is 2 more cents. I don't think I want to spend too much more time on this topic if nothing is being done about it, otherwise I'll go broke from lack of comments in places that deserve attention.. I'm just making myself clear.

-=Shad_23=-
Shad_23

Postby Glenn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Here's an updated picture of the Salisbury House Restaurant on the Provencher Bridge, courtesy of Google Earth, with it's offensive "massive red sign".

Granted, the choice of restaurant is not the best, but the chain is a Winnipeg icon. It's also partly owned by another Winnipeg icon, former Guess Who lead singer Burton Cummings.
Attachments
Provencher Salisbury House.jpg
Provencher Salisbury House.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
Glenn

Postby Glenn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention, many Winnipeggers refer to the Provencher Bridge as "The Dink Bridge" for obvious phallic reasons.

Note in the bottom photo of the Northern entry to the bridge, construction is underway on the Museum of Human Rights behind the trailers seen on the right side.
Attachments
Provencher Bridge, Northern Entrance.jpg
Provencher Bridge, Northern Entrance.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
Provencher Bridge Northern Entrance.jpg
Provencher Bridge Northern Entrance.jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
Glenn

Postby larryp7639 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:25 am

quill wrote:Love the new bridge and the Salisbury House! It's tradition of which we don't have enough of. Great canopy and I'm sure the restaurant will look beautiful when I visit it from Victoria where I live after being raised in Winnipeg on Nips! Go Bombers!:)

me too :D

Return to World Architecture