transcona silo, winnipeg

World architecture... what's happening generally....

transcona silo, winnipeg

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon May 10, 2004 11:16 pm

Just found this interesting..

In October 1913, this CPR grain silo started to tip over. It was loaed with over a million bushels of wheat and was newly built. It continued to sink slowly for over 12 hours until finally it was at at angle of 30 degrees from vertical but still intact...

The wheat was emptied from the bins, and work began to right it. By tunelling underneath it, they built new foundations down to the bedrock and then pushed it back into position... it is still in use today... the only damage was when the machinary for emptying the bins which was in a smaller building on the roof slid off....

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: transcona silo, winnipeg

Postby Ranger Josh » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:25 pm

thats amazing. i can see that silo from my house, its neat to hear the history behind a bulding that many consider to be an eyesore. i had no idea that they still use it today.
Ranger Josh

Postby Ranger Josh » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:58 am

I learned a bit more about this from my dad (he grew up in trashcona er i mean transcona). apprently every transconan learns about this in school or something. its actually a barley silo (and they malt barley there). actually, thats all he told me, but whatever.
Ranger Josh

Postby Shad_23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:45 am

Very interesting, where abouts could I have found that Silo in Winnipeg?
I'm always in and out of the area.. It looks familiar, but I just can't place my finger on the old location of it.

Thank-you for your patience,
-=Shad=-
Shad_23

Return to World Architecture