Next year's work placement! HELP!!!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Next year's work placement! HELP!!!

Postby claire » Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:03 pm

Next year is my year of work experience but im having difficulties knowing where to start. Im between diploma and degree of interior architecture and although some might think so im not an interior designer. The aim is to work in an architects office but with little or no help from the college its hard to get interviews, but more so im not even sure exactly what i should be applying to because the course im doing is new. Help!!!
claire

Postby techHEAd » Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:49 pm

no you are not an interior designer.

you are an interior designer renamed for 2002 to make you all feel better about yourselves.

you are not an architect.
techHEAd

Postby claire » Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:50 pm

i never said i was an architect but no, i am not an interior designer but with prats like you in this country there really is no hope for raising the standard of design in ireland! If you have nothing good to say dont bother replying.
Thanx for the encouragement
claire

Postby nono » Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:45 pm

Claire is right, how can we hope to foster better design, and a better appreciation of design culture if the different 'fields' of design show nothing but a pretencious contempt for each other ?

To be a great, or even just good designer takes much more than a mere job title. It all comes from within.
The idea of the 'educated' archiect needs to be dropped. There is perhaps as many unqualified persons out there who would be much more capable of producing original worthwhile design than the current crop of egotistical architects.
nono

Postby techHEAd » Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:07 pm

yeah i agree architects suck
techHEAd

Postby Jack » Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:20 pm

...........I agree about reducing the amount of contempt between the various design fields, but there are lots of architects out there that are producing pure trollip, they're not architects, there just doing some homeys on the side, I think architecture is one instance where an educated background must be insisted upon.
Jack

Postby nono » Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:15 pm

I think you are right, but just because somebody is educated as an architect does not neccessarily gurantee a good result.
nono

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:18 pm

Thats the same in every field of work.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Jack » Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:01 am

Sure........nothing can be quaranteed upon, but the chances of a good result would be increased 10 fold........
Jack

Postby claire » Mon Mar 11, 2002 12:22 pm

What about Will Bruder and Tadao Ando, both of these "architects" never recieved any form of architectural qualification but remain 2 of the finest architects/designers in my opinion...?
claire

Postby Rita Ochoa » Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:59 pm

... add up there Philippe Starck

Claire, I´m also an interior architect and i´ve been coordenating a football stadium project for the last 2 years. This means that Interior architecture is not Interior design as some think and it´s just another field of architecture in general. Getting a job for an interior architect is not a problem but unfortunaly getting in to competitions or being responsable for your own projects (even little "rehabilitations") it´s impossable in some countries (like mine). For all that I had to study 7 years and end up with 2 degrees ( Interior Architecture + Architecture )!!!!!... something is wrong in the UE directives for this courses, don´t you think so ?
Team work and specialized jobs are being more essencial everyday but that schould also mean comum general formation and equal oportunities in "real" live.
Sorry for my bad english and good luck with your job search.
( does your work experience year have to be in Ireland ? )

[This message has been edited by Rita Ochoa (edited 11 March 2002).]
Rita Ochoa

Postby Juan » Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:45 pm

take it easy Claire,
travel for a while, go to Holland, they have a lot of activists young workshop, they don't care about a piece of paper. Try the Erasmus programme, or the Leornardo one. You won't be able to do that when you'll be a member of the tiny little leprechauns society, who seems to believe that the whole world is waiting for their great designer's ideas.
May the force be with you.
Originally posted by claire:
What about Will Bruder and Tadao Ando, both of these "architects" never recieved any form of architectural qualification but remain 2 of the finest architects/designers in my opinion...?
Juan

Postby claire » Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:12 am

Rita it is good to find out that there are other interior architects out there. No, my work placement doesn't have to be in Ireland. I can go anywhere from September to the end of May.

[This message has been edited by claire (edited 14 March 2002).]
claire

Postby Rita Ochoa » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:04 am

Claire, so follow Juan´s advice and travel around while you can. New experiences will open your mind. Try Holland ( I have an interior architect friend working there now ), Spain, Portugal, etc. and don´t make "big offices" a goal. You can learn much more in small offices where the architects don´t put you doing just models. Tell me if I can help.
INTERIOR ARCHITECTS FOREVER, LOL !!!
Rita Ochoa

Postby IanM » Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:30 pm

Im a secondary student considering architecture as a career, and i know i would be excellent at it; but seeing the level of snobbery and self delusion exhibited by some people on this board is frightening and creates the impression that architecture is become stale, boring and more to do with petty politics than actual design. Enough knocking Interior Designers! Their role is just as important as builders, electricians, mech engineers etc - AND architects
IanM

Postby BM » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:33 am

It's nice to be so democratic about it but I'm afraid that's just not true.
If you do become an architect, I think the chances of you claiming that the role of an interior desinger is important as that of an architect are farily slim. Besides, many of the best interior desingers are also qualified architects.
BM

Postby IanM » Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:52 pm

No I would not think any differently of Interior designers! Why, do u get lectures in "Interior Designers Vs. Architects"?... "David V goliath" or somethin? Having done work experience with a large architect company, it was fairly obvious that I.Designers tasks are as important as any other along the "assembly line" of design, to put it crudely. When I get into architecture, I will unite the factions and end the prejudice.. Vote me #1!
IanM

Postby BM » Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:04 am

Ah, the innocence of youth...
I've actually done both interiors and architecture and they're quite different disciplines in many ways.
However, the breadth of knowledge and diversity of skills needed to be an architect (to be a GOOD architect, I should point out) is significantly more than that needed as an interior designer.
BM

Postby Rita Ochoa » Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:03 pm

Why BM ?
Rita Ochoa

Postby IanM » Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:26 am

Originally posted by BM:
However, the breadth of knowledge and diversity of skills needed to be an architect (to be a GOOD architect, I should point out) is significantly more than that needed as an interior designer.

U could just as easily say the same about architecture! Any old Joe soap can plod a few shapes together, kids do it all the time with Lego, but to be an interior designer (a GOOD interior designer) requires a greater diversity of skill Image I would say an architect gives a building its form, its stature but an interior designer would give it its language, and its ability to communicate with the people inside it. Recognising the subtle level on how we relate to inanimate objects, and perception of texture, light, coulour and perspective is a task that involves many human and psychological factors, ones that architects rarely have to consider in depth. By this nature it could be viewed as more complex..more skillful maybe? Im not an architect basher..its what I want to do! But I could never be as arrogant as to say it is a more skillful job than an area which, I think in reality has quite a superficial relation to it. Ur thoughts BM?
IanM

Postby BM » Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:45 am

I suppose my point is that more so than anything, the technical knowledge required is so much greater. An interior designer in most cases is just adapting the shell that an architect has created. They rarely have to worry about regulations, structure, weatherproofing etc, etc.
Basically, the big decisions are up to the architect.
Having said all this, most projects don't even call upon the needs of an interior designer. If any consideration at all is given to the interiors, it's usually left up to the architect. The ideal situation is both working in tandem, but how often does that happen?
I'm certainly not interior designer-bashing, I think that talented ones should be used more and used properly but I just don't think that people should delude themselves about their respective roles...
BM

Postby IanM » Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:27 pm

Well in the animal world anyway, usually the creature inside is more complex than the shell they live in! hehe ok im grasping at straws - but worrying about regulations is str8-4ward enough. So they cant build in the middle of a park..move it somewhere else Image

"Basically, the big decisions are up to the architect."

Well naturally when they are designing the outside! And speaking about delusions..more of the time it is architects deluding themselves that they can work interiors as opposed to interior designers trying to design buildings, non? Look, lets just leave the discussion here, i win 60:40 k? Image
IanM

Postby iuxta » Sat Apr 06, 2002 8:19 pm

I agree with BM on this one. At a purely academic level, examine the qualifications required for each profession are enough to give an idea of the level at which each profession is at.

Architects will study for 5 years in college including a years work experience, therefore spanding a total of six years in education followed by another two years of post qualification professional experience before taking professional practice exams to qualify for membership of professionl bodies and professional indemnity insurance.

Interior designers can do a much reduced course of study, and can even do it by correspondance in the case of qualifications like Rhodec, etc

Architects can, and in most cases, do the work of interior designers in the buildings that they design. They would have strong design sensibilities and have developed the ability to analyse, respond, design and specifiy throughout their education. I am not saying that Interior Designers cannot do this, but rather that it is not necessary to have an interior designer for the building to be completed, whereas an architect is pretty essential in a building project of any scale

As regards, say fitouts of commercial facilities such as restaurants, shops, etc, an interior designer can do this, although i would prefer an interior architect, as it is not sufficient to apply a "look to a space". The design should also encompass every aspect of the mechanical and electrical services, ventilation, lighting and i would not entrust these to an interior designer.

So, there's my opinion on the issue, I can't really accept that the professions of architecture and interior design are of equal import in the realisation of a building.

Interior Designers are decorators, a luxury, if you are so inclined,(i'm not by the way)....not a necessity to get a building designed and built.
iuxta

Postby claire » Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:37 pm

The reason I stared this discussion was to find out if anyone even knew what an interior architect was... it seems to me that there is little or no knowledge of what an interior architect is among some here. A s I have already pointed out I am neither an interior designer nor am I an architect... I don't want be... please please recognise the Interior Architects!!!!!!
claire

Postby iuxta » Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:56 pm

Claire
i work in a small office with an interior architect and one other architect

Can you give us your thoughts on what you feel is the role of the interior architect, the areas that you feel you would be responsible for and the types of projects that you would work on.
iuxta

Next

Return to World Architecture