Portfolios for DIT course??

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Portfolios for DIT course??

Postby Evan » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:17 pm

im in 5th year in secondry school and am really interested in doing architecture but i heard you have to do a portfolio for the course and i dont do art! does anyone know of any portfolio courses that i could do?? or any architecture courses in ireland where u dont need so many points as DIT and UCD??

THANKS VERY MUCH
Evan

Postby fjh » Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:54 pm

you dont need as many points to get into dit because in theory you can get up to 200 extra points for your aptitude test and then the interview where you display and explain your portfolio. i dont think anyone ever got the full 200 but people do get as high as 180.

i`ve heard of people who got into bolton street on 415 points from their leaving cert with the aptitiude test and portfolio getting them the rest of the points they needed.

bolton street and ucd and both mediocre schools of architecture however and i would recomend you try some of the british colleges.

i did my portfolio outside of school with a private teacher and it was well worth it.
fjh

Postby exe » Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:43 pm

hey evan
colaiste dhulaigh in coolock runs a PLC course in architectural studies (1 or 2 years)this is a good foundation in architectural understanding.
many people also do this course to prepare a portfolio or to test the water to see if it is really what you want to do......
exe

Postby fergus » Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:21 pm

I'm sorry but I've been in bolton st 4 years now and not to discredit this course in coolock but I've never heard of it never mind hearing of it ever being used as a sucessfull stepping stone into bolton st. but anyway that may just be a lack of knowlege on my part.DIT also un a part time evening course in design studdies or something simmularly entitled. At the same time if one wants to studdy architecture I believe that a full time course is the best option, not having art should not be a barrier or the points system. UCAS is alot easier to quallify through(just ring up and beg and you'll get in!!)but if you pass the aptitude test(for bolton st) and are genuinely interested in architecture try and show that you have "what it takes!?(Whats looked for)" which apparently is a strong visual awareness, and both creativity and logic in the way you think,interpret that as you will but have a go anyway I've heard of people bringing holiday photos ,poems they wrote and nothing to the interview, bringing something like a portfolio just makes it easier for the interviwer to get an insight into what sort of person you are and it makes it easier for you too by having something to talk about it really doesn't have to take that much time to make one or be a chore enjoy it if you do it but at this stage concentrate more on you leaving cert. Good luck anyway though.
fergus

Postby BM » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:45 am

You don't need a portfolio to get into DIT. I have graduated form Bolton St. now but I did my interview thingy about 7 or 8 years ago and didn't do art so had no portfolio as such, just a couple of drawings, photos etc, nothing major.
Don't be intimidated by people with large portfolios and suits as they are usually the ones trying too hard who don't get in..
If you convince them that you're passionate about it and have a good visual and spatial literacy etc, you should be fine.
BM

Postby nada » Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:21 pm

sorry BM, but I wouldnt say that you dont need a portfolio to get it. when I had my interview they placed alot of emphasis on the portfolio I brought with me - I did art at school so It wasnt a problem for me but I know a good few people who prepared their portfolio outside of school.
Evan, if you approached the art teacher in your school I'm sure they'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction.
nada

Postby BM » Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:09 pm

I didn't have a portfolio and I got in.
I'm jut saying that if Evan doesn't have one that he shouldn't stress about and spend a lot of time and money on a portfolio course. I'd only consider it if I was applying for a number of other portfolio-based courses too. If not, there's always UCD....
BM

Postby iuxta » Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:46 pm

I agree with BM. The portfolio is more of a talking point during the interview. It serves the purpose of giving them something to talk to you about. It also demonstrates that you can think in three dimensions and are spatially aware.
If you do not have a portfolio, you can talk to the interviewers about places you ahev been to and how they appeared to you, exhibitions that you have visited. You could visit the RIAI and see the various exhibitions that they run there on architecture. The new national gallery extension would also be weel worth a visit. If you spent an hour in there walking around and were then able to talk to an interviewer about how the spaces made you feel and whether you liked them or not, it would make a good interview conversation.
You should also check your local library and ask for books on architecture, either ancient or modern, although modern would be abetter bet. Read them, see how you feel about them. you could make a list of them or take copies of the relevent material and bring it with you to discuss. The ability to discuss is the most important part of the interview.

Remember most people who come with a portfolioto the interview are bringing the work that thy have done in an art class at secondary school. I don't know about every art class obviously, but mine was pretty standard, still lifes, life drawing, craft work, images of 3d work such as pottery, etc. none of these showed the interviewer that i had the potential to be an architect.

Talking about danish architecure, european cathedral building, my favourite place in dublin, industrial design of taps and other stuff that came up during the interview probably gave them a much better idea of potential.

PS i remember that day of the interview, and while most of us were dressed in suits, ties and all that, lugging A1 portfolio cases along the ground, others turned up in casual dress, no portfolio either and i met many of them again on the first day of college, including BM if i am not mistaken
iuxta

Postby BM » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:39 pm

Really? Hmmm... I'm intrigued
BM

Postby pvdz » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:36 pm

Also in agreement with iuxta, the portfolio is really just a talking point for the interview. I'm a student in bolton street and when I went for the interview my portfolio was weak as I only did an hour a week outside of school in fourth year to build it up. Talking about travel and spaces that impress you is very important and dont forget photography, Its a quick and effective way to show design awareness.
You can prepare for the aptitude test too by getting familiar with abstract reasoning and spatial relations, I couldnt count the amount of people I've met out who have told me they applied for bolton st and didnt get past the aptitude test. So good luck and keep going and remember raaaaaaarr your the tiger, 'n stuff.
pvdz

Postby Grainne » Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:41 pm

If you know any architects that would take you on for a few weeks, I think that would be more useful to you for your interview. It would show that you really know what it's all about. Then any drawings you can come up with yourself just to show your drawing skills are all you'll need.
Good luck.
Grainne

Postby darrancrawford » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:46 pm

Try Queen's in Belfast, try and get over the rather overt Dublin snobbery to such a notion and you'll find it is a very good course. They are willing to discuus entry requirements and are quite flexible.

Even though the University of Ulster may be denying it, they are shaping up an extremely well funded and credited architecture school in the next few years so give them a try.

And another thing I am nearing the end of my architectural education and I haven't presented a hand-drawn presenation for years, I own no infuriating Rotring pens and forget what a drawing board looks like. Skills they are a'changing.......as are university entry requirements
darrancrawford

Return to World Architecture