Standard of Education in DIT, Bolton Street

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Postby zz » Fri Jan 05, 2001 4:55 pm

I escaped about 5 years ago and it seems that shag all has changed !

The same crowd of gobshites are still running their own little world.

And who is this guy duncan ? - GET RID OF HIM. Jim Horan and Eddie like nothing better than some idiot who loves the sound of his own voice so much that he will spend the year in deep and meaningful discussion and achieve bugger all. I will also bet that he is doing quite well this year.

What you want is some good old fashioned student protest - Sit outside JH's office and shout a lot - Get the papers in while your doing it. Chain yourselves to the front railings, do anything that will embarrass the bastards to the outside world - keeping it internal will result in the likes of Jim and duncan having cosy chats while the rest of you are still thought by overbearing dinosaurs and having to put up with the sort of mental obsticle cource that passes for an education in Bolton St.

Good Luck.
zz

Postby duncan » Thu Jan 11, 2001 6:00 am

dear zz

all im trying to do is stir a bit of interest in things in there, the single biggest problem is student apathy, a few people have talked about doing stuff, but thats all.
things have changed since last year, due to student push last year.

im happy with my year noel is doing a v good job
i hope that after ark week students will see the value of doing real stuff, its fun and a little crazy
duncan

Postby duncan » Mon May 21, 2001 3:12 pm

i have just written a book which i hope to have online soon

This book is dedicated to O, that funny fact of existence, call it god if you want, which allows all things to exist, live and laugh

Contents

Introduction 1

Earth 2

World society 7

Architectural Students Association 24

A PLAY space for the city 30

Architecture 39

ORAISTE 50

Living systems 71

Gods favourite number 79

Archeire 100

Duncan Crowley 159

I define an architect as someone who designs, creates, understands and works with SYSTEMS

This book sums up my architectural thinking. I have explored many aspects in architecture and created some systems so as to improve things, which I was not happy with, this is an example of “living systems”, whereby real action is taken to try to implement that which starts out as an idea, the process of change.

Trying to improve the quality of the system of my education here in Bolton Street is one example of a living system. I have tried to find out what constitutes a “good school” of architecture both in the real and the virtual world; I have done this by creating forums here in college and on websites, ORAISTE and archeire being the main ones. I think there is no reason in stopping Bolton Street D.I.T. from becoming the “best school of architecture” in the world.

My “play space for the city” is a good example of my architectural thinking and action; I am interested in the factors, which are at play when it comes to what gets built, where and why.

Another aspect to my architecture is ORAISTE, my website, this is a living system which grows and changes. Originally it was created as a “tool of communication” and its function was to “challenge architecture”. It has now grown to an artform incorporating “acts of art” whereby art is used to challenge.

Making this book has allowed me for the first time to compile and get in order all the different things I have been involved with over the years. I have had to be articulate and sort the areas into their different categories. I see things in a holistic sense whereby all things are interconnected, so because of this there will be a crossover in some areas of the book

I hope to use this book as another “tool of communication”, I hope it will inspire and challenge people to get involved, to question, respond, think and act.
duncan

Postby duncan » Sat Jun 09, 2001 11:21 am

the year is over and overall it is sad how boring and lifeless dit architecture is and that includes many of the people there,

work has to be done i know that but there is a lot more to architecture and learning and life than the work you have to do

there were some good things through the year, esp> pimps and hoes night, vertical project, a few parties, some interesting projects ( fair play to noel and crew for their effort). our barrier and the wander to stack a itself,

on a whole though i feel college could be very exciting, maybe next year with a harder shove,

absolutley no interaction with the other irish schools.

what does the aai/ riai feel re this dead environment. keep the drones coming to do the jobs without any architectural thinking?

i say again, the greatest time of change is on and we are doing nothing about it, why not?
do people not want to love living?

dit art and design are currently having an exhibition of all work from final years in interiior design, furniture, photography and image, fine art, and probably some more. i happened to stumble across the launch of this event, dit and temple bar, whereby all work is on show for a week to the city and the public,
meanwhile our fifth years are hanging around, we should be involved in this, architecture is art, i have got in contact with dit art and adked to be included next year,
check out the stuff and check out their website
http://www.dit.ie/arttrail/nav.html

for more info see, www.oraiste.com
duncan

Postby Rosie » Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:54 pm

It has been a while since I last visited this web-page. Hmmmm. Seems as always, the original topic, posed out of concern or interest has devolved into mish-mash a bit on the silly side. I departed Bolton Street 5-6 years ago. The same stuff went on then. Just get on with it. You can complain in a democratic way. You are adults that some of you are finding difficult to behave as such. Quit the teen angst and get the hell out of there: You learn everything once you get out of the college anyway.
Rosie

Postby doozer » Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:12 pm

The actual crux of the problem is the same as that in most of our secondary and primary schools-permanent full time staff who are almost impossible to fire. There should be no permanent staff except for the department head and the vice and they should be limited to this job and not be allowed to practice or to run their own firm.
Facilities come and go- you can never have enough, but the quality of the minds within the college is what makes or breaks the standard of education.

By the way Duncun,your not in this college any more and I for one (and not the only one believe me) am glad of the break from your nonsensical ramblings- do you think you could do us the same favour on the discussion boards. (Its rather embarassing to have you out the in the public eye promoting yourself as our fearless leader, espeically as you seem to have an entirely different agenda to the rest of us)

[This message has been edited by doozer (edited 05 December 2001).]
doozer

Postby LOB » Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:50 pm

an entire thread summed up
Brilliant
I'm with Rosie on this one
LOB

Postby aka » Thu Dec 06, 2001 2:46 pm

its been a while since i've had a read through the on-line discussions here, and now i remember why...its absolutely depressing. Im studying at bolton st. and although i can see the number of flaws in the system, am managing to enjoy my education ....If only all the people who endlessly pontificate about the supposed poor standard of lecturers etc.at bolton st. would do something about it, if they believe in it that strongly after all.
aka

Postby Rosie » Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:53 pm

One other aspect to the whole monster whinge:- is anyone having fun in there at all? college for me was certainly aboutarchitecture. it was also about meeting a whole new spectrum of friends and experiences that helped to develop a reasonably sensible attitude to life. college is not the end of the world:- just the begining.
Rosie

Postby aka » Sun Dec 23, 2001 12:34 am

any reaction from the RIAI to last weeks review in Bolton Street?
will there be a report published soon? Will this be available to students?
aka

Postby Brian Smyth » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:35 pm

Well Rosie and Doozer - thank you, thank you.
I have not met Duncan but from my previous correspondence on the subject he came across as a pure w****r and clearly is a waste of space.
What Rosie says is true. And I also say to you students in Bolton Street - avoid asholes like Duncan and get on with real architecture and real new friends in your faculty. The subject is good debatable fun but the reality is serious. Duncan is amusing, but your life is serious when you realise Bolton St is only a stepping-stone to your career.
Slainte
Brian Smyth

Previous

Return to World Architecture