What to do on college year out?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

What to do on college year out?

Postby www » Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:39 pm

I'm currently taking a year out between 3/4th years and still totally confused about how to spend the year. At the moment I'm returning home from working abroad, and generally bumming around, but don't reckon this is the most efficient way to spend the year. Lecturers tell us that its such an important time for us and not to waste it.
I'd like to hear advice from other students/graduates who've been in the same situation and their tips or ideas on what to do.

Postby Kristian Sullivan » Wed Oct 24, 2001 9:35 am

Get a job as a brickie!
You will learn and earn more.....
Or if you are really bored you could get an arts degree.
Kristian Sullivan

Postby nono » Sun Nov 04, 2001 8:11 pm

i agree , a job as a brickie would be good exerciseand help tone your stomach and thighs.
nono

Postby quirkey » Mon Nov 05, 2001 5:03 pm

Never mind what job it is aslong as its not in the specific buisness, whats far more important is to go see....... places, streets, squares, cities, countries, people, mountains, water ........ this will possibly be one of your few proper chances to discover the world and what it has to offer.
Even if you stay in pretty much the one place the whole time... just make sure to go somewhere....... living in a place gives you a far richer experience of it than just speeding through during a two week inter railing trip at the end of the year.....
Last thing you should do is stay in ireland... ok maybe for a while till you save up for flights and stuff but otherwise.... just go, go go.
quirkey

Postby claire » Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:08 pm

get ur portfolio together and start looking for work experience... it may only be for a couple of months but its worth it!
claire

Postby quirkey » Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:38 pm

I think too many students fall into that trap. Of course you'll learn lots in an ofice the first time you do that (for a few months anyway) but after that uless you are very lucky or work for a smaller company you would probably just end up as another CAD MONKEY, having little to do with design itself.
Yeah do that of course, but only for a while (unless you are one of the lucky ones)
If you work in an office, chances are you'll learn the true meaning of and eventually maybe despise the word CHANGE.
Small, maybe one person, non magazine architects are the ones you'll most likely learn the most from.
quirkey

Postby Barry » Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:06 pm

If you can get the fare together, my advice would be to spend some time in South East Asia. Enjoy the culture, backpack ...it still can be done inexpensively surface travelling. Forget about Architecture for a while....it shouldnt dictate your perspective or experience of life in genral. Take a few months in Australia working to fund your travels if need be (bar work, fruit picking etc..)You will spend the majority of the reminder of your life in an office of some description....get out there and see the world while you can.....most importantly....if you travel in a group, dont bore your fellow travellers by embarking on a "busman's holiday"....Architects can be notoriuosly self absorbed.
Barry

Return to World Architecture