THE BEST SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE IN THE WORLD

World architecture... what's happening generally....

THE BEST SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE IN THE WORLD

Postby duncan » Tue Aug 29, 2000 9:11 pm

DIA DHOIBH

which one?
why?
what or who makes one?
what about the future?

do you think bolton street, D.I.T. can be in the future?
i think its possible
who knows?
slan
duncan

Postby f9 » Sat Sep 02, 2000 6:46 pm

oh,shut the **** up.
f9

Postby duncan » Mon Sep 04, 2000 8:00 pm

best school of architecture in the world

architecture is about creating, designing, understanding, working with SYSTEMS,

SITE: planet earth, an uneven sphere spinning in space????????????????

DIRECTION: working toward a sustainable and peaceful planet

a school where students love to go because it is exciting, where people are passionate about what they do, a system which leads to more people doing more things so more and more people love living

examples of architectural study

-dead kid lying on streets in delhi
-dancing on the streets of berlin with 1.5 million people
-sarajevo, people blown up, buildings shot to pieces
-discussing peace, god, universe with a tibetan buddhist monk
-people openly shooting up heroin in public parks at noon
-laughing with friends in the sea in county clare

proper communication leads to real understanding which is the only way toward LOVE

can architects communicate?

why bother,
you live, you die
how can you feel most alive?

irish architecure will be exciting this year
duncan

Postby jl » Tue Sep 05, 2000 1:34 pm

Somehow strings of meaningless, superficial, sub-Bennetton images just don't do it for me.
jl

Postby Wordsworth » Tue Sep 05, 2000 4:06 pm

Hi Duncan, but are you on drugs. Why can't you speak properly and straight forward to make your point. Your 'waffle' mentions something about 'proper communications and can architects communicate' but there would be no chance if they spoke like you. Your 'airy fairy trying to be impressive gibberish' means nothing.I'd say your a wannabe misunderstood student.
Wordsworth

Postby Some Old Dear! » Tue Sep 05, 2000 4:14 pm

Dear Duncan,

Are you the type of character who lives a sheltered life and who was beaten up in the schoolyard by the bully boys who robbed your lunch money. God bless you...poor soul!
Some Old Dear!

Postby Anti-nonsense brigade » Wed Sep 06, 2000 11:15 am

Please dont try to intellectualise everything you experience Duncan. Life is not all profound, deep, meaningful, blah,blah. If you are a good architect, so what if the college is not up to your ideals, well your supposed ideals. Dont try to be a mini Liebskind or Hertzog. They each have volumes & experience. Prattling off what seems to be insight is becoming boring. Wait 30 years, if your still interested maybe then you might have the knowledge & maturity to talk some sense.
Anti-nonsense brigade

Postby Calmess » Wed Sep 06, 2000 7:24 pm

Gosh, aren't we all very touchy.

Why does it annoy you so much that there
is a dreamer , an optomist amongst you ?
Maybe you don't agree with everything that
Duncan says or does, at least he is not
afraid to explore and to try to challenge
himself.
He obviously loves what he does and seeks
to become more aware of the bigger picture.
It is very easy to criticise.
Creating is one thing ,but to be brave enough
to expose your ideas is another .
As for the foolish notion that suddenly after thirty years one is then 'allowed' to express ideas and thoughts is ludicrous.
Experience can be a hindrance , we would all design like developers if we waited thirty years to express our architectural opinions .
I've seen how fresh ideas inspire my colleagues , our lecturers and ourselves .
Are the lecturers not inspired by coming to college and seeing thirty amazing solutions to one problem , or seeing enthusiastic students ?
Be brave ,make mistakes ,be open to ideas ,
because that is where experience is gained and love for the job is found .

Regards .
Calmess

Postby Calmness » Wed Sep 06, 2000 7:24 pm

Gosh, aren't we all very touchy.

Why does it annoy you so much that there
is a dreamer , an optomist amongst you ?
Maybe you don't agree with everything that
Duncan says or does, at least he is not
afraid to explore and to try to challenge
himself.
He obviously loves what he does and seeks
to become more aware of the bigger picture.
It is very easy to criticise.
Creating is one thing ,but to be brave enough
to expose your ideas is another .
As for the foolish notion that suddenly after thirty years one is then 'allowed' to express ideas and thoughts is ludicrous.
Experience can be a hindrance , we would all design like developers if we waited thirty years to express our architectural opinions .
I've seen how fresh ideas inspire my colleagues , our lecturers and ourselves .
Are the lecturers not inspired by coming to college and seeing thirty amazing solutions to one problem , or seeing enthusiastic students ?
Be brave ,make mistakes ,be open to ideas ,
because that is where experience is gained and love for the job is found .

Regards .
Calmness

Postby Anti-Nonsense Brigade » Thu Sep 07, 2000 9:26 am

30 years is not a prerequesite, merely a notional timespan. Optimism is a great thing, new ideas and innovation, how could anyone despise that. I am not out to knock duncan for his idealism, I just wonder if it is a little misguided. Maybe not, I am just wondering if things have been thought through fully before being pasted on this page. Nevertheless, good luck to Duncan & I do admire his bravery & openess, I hope he can fuel the change at Bolton St. so that those their can see the other side of architecture that Duncan is striving to see.
Anti-Nonsense Brigade

Postby Anti-Nonsense Brigade » Thu Sep 07, 2000 1:34 pm

See how fickle I am, like a chameleon in a debate, a turncoat. If thirty years of experience will cause 'Calmness' to design like a developer, then I suggest that he/she should beat a hasty retreat from architecture before its too late. The more experienced you get, the more adventurous you will become from an ever expanding base of inspiration. If Calmness finds him/herself becoming stunted with experience, then you either work for a bad practice or are easily manipulated by greedy clients. The idea of knowledge being restricting is ludicrous to say the least.
I do realise that there are other ways of interpreting 'Calmness's' statement but why bother. Lets presume this is what it means. 'Be as adventurous as possible while young, cause once you work for the likes of me....... fill in your own ending to suit your varying tastes (maybe your tastes dont vary, cause you've been around too long).

P.S. Sorry about that
Anti-Nonsense Brigade

Postby Calmness » Thu Sep 07, 2000 4:13 pm

Why bother, eh?

You are too busy arguing with yourself.
Try reading my reply again .
Calmness

Postby Anti- Nonsense Brigade » Thu Sep 07, 2000 5:10 pm

I read it and I understood it. Are you open enough to accept my choice to misunderstand you. Enough of this.
Anti- Nonsense Brigade

Postby Cop on! » Thu Sep 07, 2000 5:24 pm

Please stop all this bullshit nonsense.... Comment on more pressing issues regarding architecture. These supposedly diatribes are not amusing. Please consign this topic to the bin.
Cop on!

Postby ja&c » Thu Sep 07, 2000 5:45 pm

well holy god, will calmness and 'anti nonsense brigade' ever get a frikkin'room???

Duncan, again - i don't mean to knock you and i don't see any reason why you should think that this reply is knocking you but this forum i about the standard of education (IN ARCHITECTURE) in Bolton street,
NOT THE STANDARD OF LIFE AND UNDERSTANDING ON PLANET EARTH.
Everybody would like to strive towards a better world and it is right (in my opinion) to discuss it but i guarantee you that if you want to get results, concrete results for Bolton street architectural students ie: more computers(and others such facilities), longer studio hours and new teaching methods don't go into negotiations with James Horan and the head of the DIT talking about dancing with germans in Berlin or talking to monks in the alps, THAT IS IRRELEVANT.
THIS IS A SERIOUS ****ING DEBATE WHICH COULD VERY WELL CHANGE THE COURSE OF OUR ARCHITECTURAL EDUCATION.
IF WE GET THIS RIGHT, WE'LL BE ABLE TO ATTEND ARCHITECTURAL JOB INTERVIEWS WITH SOME DIGNITY, IF WE GET THIS WRONG WE MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE UNIVERSITY MAYBE EVEN TO A DIFFERENT COUNTRY.

To recap, even if we are all as passionate as we would like to be about architecture, it has NOTHING to do with changing the world.
If you want to make the world a better place, become a missionary, an aid worker, a doctor, a member of the european parliament or even join greenpeace.
that is a whole DIFFERENT ISSUE.
ARCHITECTURE IS NOT LIFE AND AS I SAID BEFORE, LIFE IS CERTAINLY NOT ARCHITECTUREL, no matter how much you want it to be.

an architect has no place trying to improve the lives of people and it is unbelievably niave of anyone to think that an architect is as important as that.

till next time.

ja&c
ja&c

Postby ja&c » Thu Sep 07, 2000 5:50 pm

would the real 'cop on' please
F U K KK O F F
ja&c

Postby concerned » Thu Sep 07, 2000 11:30 pm

Would you let Duncan design your house?
concerned

Postby bunch » Fri Sep 08, 2000 9:09 am

ja&c I was beginning to wonder whether the stereotypes of architects and arch-students were in fact true. This important debate about the quality of education for aspiring architects quickly collapsed because of some people's belief that they would change things......for everyone. Pretentious bastards. Well done ja&c, it is people like you that will help the profession in this country.
bunch

Postby mdc » Mon Sep 11, 2000 7:48 am

ALL ARCHITECTURE IS A POLITICAL ACT.
mdc

Postby ja&c » Mon Sep 11, 2000 1:19 pm

hello, wats de stauriee!?

i have nothing really to say today because duncan hasn't posted another riveting message.

c u sooooon
ja&c

Postby duncan » Tue Sep 12, 2000 3:45 pm

standard, quality and direction of architecture in general

i feel that all aspects of life are changing rapidly day by day and that peoples views of what is architecture have changed only a little bit. there are many fine buildings being built and that is a very good thing but i think that there is a lot more to architecture than just making nice buildings.

there are many problems in the world, humans are causing destruction of species and habitats, if we keep going the way we are we will bring an end life as we know it on this beautiful planet, some argue that by then we will be living in space stations and terraformed planets, maybe?
but i think that we have a responsibility, we as people and then as architects, to find out what factors are at play that are leading to this destruction and try to come up with solutions to these problems

some people will argue that that is not architecture, maybe its not for them. but i feel that it definately is and i am willing to pursue and challenge this view, i hope that in doing so others see that we have to look at things differently, an example of this was when i came back into bolton street during "architecture week", there was very little going on and the general feeling amongst students was "this is a load of,,,,"
anyway with that i tried to organize a forum about the quality of our education, there was a fair turn out and im glad to say that students are now thinking discussing and taking action so that things improve.

life is a very complex system, i think it all interconnected and that we have to learn how to create and work with systems, be those political, educational, scientific or the smaller ones like organizing and taking part in a city parade on paddys day.

i feel we have to learn about what factors are making things the way they are today, ie, economics, religion, corrution, ignorance

in the developing world there are milllions of people leaving their farms to come to cities to try to "make it", the result is that there are huge cities sprouting up in asia, and millions unemployed starving and dying in other parts of the world.
i think we have to try to design and build sustainable cities, now that we have the chance, what is a "sustainable city"
we have to create systems so that these are built. how do we do that, learn and act by whatever means. today bono is up shaking hands with the pope, united in trying to bring 3rd world debt to an end for developing countries.

at the end of the day you have to enjoy life, thats the main thing. i feel that learning about whats goin on and acting toward a "sustainable, peaceful and fun planet" is the direction we should take, i believe it leads to the fullest feeling of being alive.

i am going back to college in 2 weeks and im looking foreward to getting things going, i hope you i will get to meet many of you and that you will contribute to things in bolton street and to the world at large

sorry for the length
and i hope you enjoy your lives too
slan libh
duncan

Postby Mrs.Doyle » Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:12 pm

That's a very nice letter from you Duncan,and I have to agree with you. You are right, we are all individual species living on this lonely blue planet spinning in space and we must share it. All the humans,the lions,the tigers,the ants must all learn how to grow and develop.The ant's are good architects and builder's too.We can look at them and learn. That's why the good lord God almighty created such good people as Bono, the Pope, Princess Diana and Mother Theresa to show us the right way to live.I wish you all the best and hope you do well in your career.
Mrs.Doyle

Postby duncan » Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:32 pm

QUOTES AND A CARNIVAL

“Peace is the highest value. If the peace has been shattered, how can one be content" Chapter 31, Tao Te Ching
“The mark of a high-quality theory is that it doesent just answer the question in a round about way, it dissolves the question so that you wonder why you ever asked it in the first place” “Lila”, Robert M Pirsig

“We still have to believe that play has a vital role in building a society for man, the eternal child” Alvar Aalto, 1978

“If the day ever dawns when science, art and religion become as one by recognizing each others facilities and qualities as different in reality, but really as reinforcing each other, we would then have something like the thing which is now missing”
Frank Llyod Wright

The scientists religious feeling take the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that in comparison with it, all the systematic thinking of a human being is an utterly insignifigent reflection. This feeling is the guiding principle of his life and work Re, Einstein

“The search for Gods design, the source of all true Art and Science” Einstein

“Why does the universe exist?, to know that would be to know the mind of God”
Stephen Hawkins

Enter through the narrow gate for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many find it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
The Bible, Matthew 7.13

1-“My uniform experience has convinced me that there is no other God than truth and the only means for the realization of truth is ahimsa”.(non-violence and part of Gandhis non-violent protest movement)
2-”Those that say that religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion means”.
“Autobiography, the story of my experiments with truth”- Mahatma Gandhi

“Wisest is she who knows that she does not know” Socrates

“Always look at things from the perspective of eternity” Spinoza

“A sustainable society is one that satisfies its needs without diminishing the prospects of future generations” Lestor Brown

Man did not weave the web of life;
he is merely a strand in it.
Whatever he does to the web,
he does to himself. 1854, Chief Seattle

A holistic view of something is to see it as a functional whole and to understand the interdependance of all its parts accordingly. “The Web of life”, Fritjof Capra

The richest man is not the one with all the money
He is the one who knows what to do with his free time
C/o Stanley matthews

sat 30th sep, dublin city carnival for a just world

hello
passing on some info re the parade and protest for a just world in the streets of dublin, this is architectural, how a city is lived in and used by those that live there, it should be interesting, fun and most importantly be an act toward a peaceful and sustainable world.

duncan

galways26@hotmail.com

On saturday the 30th of September there is going to be a Carnival against Global Economic Justice in Temblebar in solidarity with Prague events. It starts at 10:30am with eyewitnesses accounts of events in Prague, workshops and discussions about the IMF - reform it or get rid of it?, 3rd World Debt, environment etc.
duncan

Postby joseph » Tue Sep 12, 2000 5:10 pm

i will be there in spirit and in person. we must do everything we can to save this planet from the apocalypse of destruction.
'lonely and ignorant are those who are without knowledge but knowledge is good for you and there is only one architect and that is god'
Reginald Pilkington 1947
joseph

Postby sheep2winnie » Tue Sep 12, 2000 5:16 pm

yes, i totally agree with duncan on the previous message also.
a sustainable universe should be the ultimate goal for all architects.
also, to imalgimate what mrs. doyle said, if we can get all the little ants to become architects and all the lions could mix the cement we could have a sustainable jungle building site.
the little sheeps and cows on the farm then could be the main contractors and it could be them who employ the lions who would be the sustainable sub contractors.
all we as humans would have to do then is sit back and not kill anybody and watch these ants plan and build our cities of the future but with bigger ant hills because except for babies not much people can fit down a antwhole.
then the lions could build a even bigger ant whole for the pope and for bono to make a sustainable funky musical religion for our nice new ant cities.

that sounds kool!

tanks dung-kahn.
sheep2winnie

Next

Return to World Architecture