Animation Via Architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Animation Via Architecture

Postby Sybok » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Guys,

I graduated with an honours levels bachelors degree in Architecture from DIT last summer. Despite this, I don't have any serious interest in pursuing a career in architecture. My interests are drawing, sculpting, model making, writing and animation; all of which had (some) outlets in the academic environment but are completely stifled by the professional reality of the architectural business. Has anyone any input on how my degree might contribute to a degree in animation or are there masters courses available? Has anyone any suggestions? Does anyone know of any precedents?

I like to picture myself, in ten years time, pantone in hand, drawing character designs for an upcoming Pixar release and not poring over contracts and building regs with a ball point pen.

Any input would be most appreciated.
Sybok

Re: Animation Via Architecture

Postby shadow » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 pm

I think you should contact computer game companies to begin with. Big demand for environmental designers for game backgrounds etc.

As for animation, Ballyfermot School for Animation is the best place to start....
shadow

Postby missarchi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:42 pm

if your keen you should know the website cgtalk
missarchi
Old Master

Postby onq » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:16 am

I'm amazed that anyone would slog through five years of DIT and get an honours degree and not want to pursue it to do "real" architecture.
Horses for courses I suppose.

I'm afraid there may not be a huge outlet for someone doing 3D buildings-as-set designs, but that's only the market now.
In the future however I see a vastly different place to work, spearheadeed by the best games developers, as people combine work with activity.

Yes, I can work endlessly sitting at my screen and typing, but wouldn't it be so much better if I was at least taking broad movement exercise.
Imagine working in a virtual environment, where hand and torso movement was required in order to access function - you'd get fit working!

More importantly you would engage thoroughly with your work and with colleagues sharing this interactive environment.
That's your wonderful business idea for the 21st Century - get fit at work! I'll expect a credit and to share royalties.

But enough fantasizing - in terms of what you want to do you have to decide - fit an existing professional niche or create your own.
You could do worse than do as suggested above, or you could try the Media Cube in Dún Laoghaire.

Here's the Media Cube, part of Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BAn_Laoghaire_Institute_of_Art,_Design_and_Technology

Here's Ballyfermot College of Further Education
http://www.bcfe.ie/

HTH

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Return to World Architecture