Mature student CAD question!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Mature student CAD question!

Postby Bodie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:03 pm

I have been looking into signing away the next 5 to 7 years of my life:eek: All in the name of Architecture. At first I was going for Architectural Technology but the more I look at Architecture the more it appeals to my creative streak.

I would just like to know how much time is spent using CAD in Architecture?. I have researched Arch Tec and found that a huge amount of time is spent working with Cad and 3Dmax(if you can use it).

This is just one of the many questions i have :confused: Daunting!

Thanks
B
Bodie

Re: Mature student CAD question!

Postby spoil_sport » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:13 pm

None if you want. There is absolutely no requirement to use CAD, and is entirely conceivable to hand draw everything if you wish, certinally it is possible to go through college without it, working life possibly more difficult without it, but there are ways to minimise it. In UCD at least there is probably more value placed in hand drawing and model making, that's no to say CAD drawings are discriminated against, but a bad CAD drawing is generally frowned upon more than a bad hand drawing.
spoil_sport

Re: Mature student CAD question!

Postby archie83 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 am

I agree with spoil_sport but as you move through the years in college the requirement will be to produce more and more work, and for speed and efficiency, ease of editing etc. CAD, or equivalent packages are the more efficient means of working. Unless of course you are an amazingly talented and fast at drawing by hand. The older generations of architects are managing to escape without having to learn the vast expanse of programmes but you are ultimately more marketable in having these skills in the workplace, and I would say as a new graduate in times of job shortages the more skills you have, the better. Don't let this stop you though - nobody knows how to use any of these programmes starting out - you will pick it up as you go along
archie83

Return to World Architecture