The American Embassy in London under threat.

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Buildings acquire personality not only through their architecture, but through the events that they witness. In the case of Eero Saarinen's American Embassy in Grosvenor Square, London, the two are inextricably intertwined. From the anti-Vietnam-War protests of the 1960s, through the anti-nuclear-missile campaign of the 1980s, to the recent fortifications against terrorist attack, the huge golden eagle atop this curious, slightly overwrought building has seen it all - including 50,000 Londoners quietly coming to offer support and condolence in the aftermath of 9/11.

http://www.hughpearman.com/2008/13.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: The American Embassy in London under threat.

Postby Blisterman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Eero Saarinen is probably my favourite architect of the era. Unfortunatly, his only UK building, is probably his worst. It's too conventional and lacks the elegance, his buildings usually have. However, it's still better than most architecture in London from that era, and it's by a reknowned architect, so I say, from a historical point of view, list it. Make sure, the eagle at the top get's listed too, and not removed to de-embassy the building, because that's particularly cool.
Blisterman

Re: The American Embassy in London under threat.

Postby lostexpectation » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:10 am

i don't think the things you list there are what the americans would like the building to be known for.
lostexpectation

Return to World Architecture