UCD- Landscape architecture.

World architecture... what's happening generally....

UCD- Landscape architecture.

Postby k.gregan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:15 pm

I have always aspired to study architecture in DIT or UCD and i have filled in my CAO according to my interests. But i have recently come across the Landscape architecture course in UCD, i have researched it and it sounds perfect for me.

I am currently trying to decide if i should add it to my CAO as i am worried that i will not achieve enough points for architecture.

Can anyone give me a greater insight into this course? or their opinion on it?

All replies are greatly appreciated...thank you.
k.gregan

Re: UCD- Landscape architecture.

Postby DG » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:38 am

Hi there, I am a final year landscape architecture student in UCD procrastinating from working on my thesis at the moment. Well first thing I should tell you is that it is alot of work (check the time of the post, i am still in studio) having said that the I love the course and am really glad i chose it. Most of the time is spent in the design studio working with a fairly relaxed atomosphere, chatting and listening to music while working. Alot of the people get the wrong impretion that this is garden design (dont think you have that), but just to clarify landscape architecture deals mainly with the design of public open spaces. Think, O'Connell street, Smithfield market Grand Canal Dock Square and other public parks like Black Rock Park as examples ( Not all good examples!) Town planning also comes into it and many students go on to do a masters in planning from this course. Some Irish firms you might want to look up to see what goes on in Ireland are Dermot Foley Landscape architects, Mithchells and Associates and MOLA architects. The course has changed massively sinse I started (for the better) and focuses on the design aspects more than the science side of things now. There are loads of other things that i could tell you but cant think right now so give me a mail at d_gibson03@yahoo.ie and ask me any questions. Will give you mobile number and that of lectures who would be only too happy to help over mail, just dont want to send it out here.

Cheeres

Dave.
DG

Re: UCD- Landscape architecture.

Postby k.gregan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks a million for getting back to me so soon. You have definetly swayed my decision. I would definetly be much more interested in the design aspect of landscape architecture and i am considering making it my first choice on the CAO.
Hope to contact you soon. Thank you.
k.gregan

Return to World Architecture