Another mature student question!

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Another mature student question!

Postby cloudsteph » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:41 pm

I sadly got no response on the main forum, maybe coz I was posting in the wrong place or maybe I insulted some folk, but I really really need some advice....apologies for the long post!!!

I've been looking into going back to college to study architecture over the past few months and looking for some advice. I'm 23, working full time as an interactive designer for the past 18months, with a 4-yr BSc already under my belt. Before I attended the open days at UCD and DIT in December, I didn't realise that I would be studying for at least 7-8 years before I could work as an architect.

After much thought, I am considering giving up the idea of studying to be an architect, all down to the time it will take to get back into the world of professional work again. Time = money also and the longer spent in college as a mature student, the bigger the bill at the end and this is a fairly big factor also.

While browsing through some UK university websites, I came across both undergraduate and masters courses in Interior Architecture & Design, any of which take on average 3-4 years to complete. I don't know anyone working or studying in this field to ask so I'm wondering if someone could advise me if I am crazy in thinking that maybe taking such a course would be like a 'happy medium' for me? Both disciplines have vast differences between them but at the same time are related. I think that such a profession might satisfy my appetite for designing living spaces and environments. I see it as taking on a smaller part of the architecture profession, or even a smaller complimentary role in the design phase - am I right in thinking this way??? Should I go for the shorter interiors route or just take on the big challenge, go for architecture regardless?

Really would appreciate some advise, thanks
cloudsteph

Re: Another mature student question!

Postby berryboy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Your 23 ! I'm 30 !!!! Are you doing this for the money or for the betterment of humanity, and I don't mean to sound all high and mighty when I say that. I have decided because there are reasons for my choice (not that you don't have reasons) been that of a genuine interest in the environment and spaces used to cultivate the mind, body and spirit. I think about the long road ahead and its daunting to say the least, but I have Solice in knowing that the years spent at school will be both tough and enlightening. Meditate on it and demand an answer from above, below and around. I haven't even been accepted yet but I feel it a solid choice. Good luck with that.:)
berryboy

Postby Zygnoth » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 am

Don't forget that the course is divided up so it's not like studying for seven years on the trot. After 3 years, you qualify with your BArch and can take a break from college then if needed. I'm not fully certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't always come back to college after this. You wouldn't be a qualified architect but you could still work in a practice. Also, after five years, you'd be working and studying for your qualification.

If you want to be a fully qualified architect, it is seven years but it's easier to consider if you break it into smaller chunks (better for your digestion too!)
Zygnoth

Postby experiMental » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:13 am

cloudsteph wrote:I sadly got no response on the main forum, maybe coz I was posting in the wrong place or maybe I insulted some folk, but I really really need some advice....apologies for the long post!!!

I've been looking into going back to college to study architecture over the past few months and looking for some advice. I'm 23, working full time as an interactive designer for the past 18months, with a 4-yr BSc already under my belt.

Just as a matter of interest, what do you not like in working as a full time interactive designer? It's such a difficult area to break into (especially in Ireland). I really want to work in that area, so it would be great to find out what are the pitfalls in it.
experiMental

Return to World Architecture