Preparing for DIT interview

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Preparing for DIT interview

Postby lettuce » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:59 pm

i've decided that DIT is where i want to be next acedemic year. i'm doing the study for those points
but what do you think is the best way for a LC student to prepare his/herself for the apptitude test and interview?

also i've only recently decided to fully go for architecture as the demands are so high, so i'm not really that aware of architectural icons in Dublin. where do you think is a good place for me to develop my understanding and appreciation for architecture?

what are your favourite examples of good or even bad architecture?

all posts are grately appreciated. cheers
lettuce

Re: Preparing

Postby experiMental » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:40 pm

First and foremost: even if you will not get enough points to get into architecture, don't repeat the Leaving Cert.
Instead, try to attend a PLC architecture or design-related course. That will give you a wealth of knowledge about design in general, and then you'll be able to understand and appreciate architecture around you even more. That will give you an enormous advantage at an interview.

If you reckon that you'll get the points and will pass the aptitude test, you'll need to present a portfolio of your own design work to compensate for your lack of knowledge about architecture.

Now for good architecture reference, look for books by Le Corbusier and examples of Gaudi's architecture.

Good luck!
experiMental

Postby Bren88 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:35 pm

Stay away from modern stuff, its too dodgy. The interview might totally disagree. Stick with buildings that are widely accepted as masterpieces.
A good portfolio is important, it should be very varied and not focused on buildings too much, it appears forced.
Bren88

Postby gra1 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:58 pm

hi im kinda in the same boat as lettuce there with regards to wanting to do architecture after the leavin cert. but do you actually need to have a portfolio to get into dit? some people say not at all, but others say a few pieces of work?
thanks..
gra1

Postby Bren88 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:30 am

gra1 wrote:hi im kinda in the same boat as lettuce there with regards to wanting to do architecture after the leavin cert. but do you actually need to have a portfolio to get into dit? some people say not at all, but others say a few pieces of work?
thanks..

Its optional to have a portfolio. But I don't think you'd get in without one.
Bren88

Postby goneill » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:11 pm

As mentioned before in these fora, get a book on the Australian architect Glenn Murcutt. Not only is he alive, (unlike Gaudi and Le Corbusier), but his work is relevant to 21sr century living (sustainabiltiy etc). Furthermore he is a visiting professor in DIT, as well as several other world class institutions, and they worship him there. Rightly.

I would go as far as to say that if you went to an interview there and didn't know something of his work, you would be shooting yourself in the foot. - possibly fatally! "Leaves of Iron" is the first book about him but there are others
goneill

Postby lettuce » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:28 am

yeah i
actually read something about him a while ago and he seems fairly interesting. will be nice to mention esp that his a visiting prof.

appreciating all the help.
lettuce

Postby rira » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:55 pm

I've posted this before, and I'm sure I'll post it again but here goes:

First off, lucky you, you know not only what you want to do but where you want to do it. If you get it you are incredibly fortunate, but if you don't, don't worry. There's more than one way to skin a cat. If things don't go to plan at any stage be prepared to go at it another way. UCD, UL, UCC/CIT and WIT are all worth your consideration, it doesn't matter if you think that you might not like to go there, that you can't afford it or that you won't get the points, things change, you learn to love a place (and I say this as a Corkonian living in the despised Dublin), banks are our friends (to a certain extent!) and points change (they can go down too!)

As for the portfolio, go with what you know. If you're confident with the technical side of things go with it BUT I would say that that is probably of lesser importance than creativity - it's not uncommon to have NO technical stuff in a portfolio.
Do anything to start - that way you'll have plenty to choose from and even little scribbles can go into a sketchbook which they really like to see plenty of. They say that you're work has to be recent but some of mine came from my junior cert and noone remarked about it in any interview (you know the whole stamping everything gives it away!) If you are really clueless try a portfolio preparation course in PLC colleges or I did a good one in the Crawford in Cork at the weekend (I'm sure other colleges do them too). Not everything in you're portfolio has to relate to architecture (in fact none of mine did besides some photos - they really helped me to control what they asked me about and it only took a couple of hours with a camera around town).

As for the actual interview, I've been threatening for years to go down with study notes and blather on about how I don't know anything about the evolution of vernacular architecture in Brasil and watch the poor tortured souls who are waiting for interview freak out. In reality, you don't need to be a genius, if you have interests great! I got by on a few years of Grand Designs and a critique of the extension to the Crawford Art Gallery extension.
Having an opinion is important, know what you like and why, even if it's just your own school building. If you don't like something ask yourself why too. Keep abreast of any developements or relatively modern and high profile buildings in your area (don't worry if you haven't seen one thay ask you about, a no is fine too.)
Have a favourite building (not the Customs House in Dublin!)

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE IMPORTANCE OF THE SUITABILITY TEST for DIT, failing doesn't mean that you won't make a good architect but it's important to have it in the bag. The Suitability Test is usually in a few parts, a standard IQ patterns test, a personal statement style piece of writing, a small picture thing and i feel like there was something else but I don't remember!
Some things that I found useful were writing out a personal statement (I did mine for UCAS and it helped me to just get something focused down on paper quickly, I then wandered off in to a heap of rubbish about Munster Rugby so don't be too concerned about your literary quality!) and pattern related IQ tests ( again I did some in TY in school nothing too serious but the familiarity will help you to concentrate on the day).

Fianlly, consider applying to UCAS. I'm not sure when the application deadline is but have a look anyway, schools in the UK are just as good and better but many are far easier to get into. It takes a lot of pressure off knowing that worst come to worst you still have an offer from X, Y or Z. There are plenty of people around here who have or are attending uni in England and especially Scotland so they might be able to help with that end.

Good luck, stay calm and it will all turn out OK .... because that's just the way life is.
rira

Postby rira » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Sorry about the rant but i remember not being able to find out anything and being really frustrated in 6th year so i like to give as much as i can ... plus i'm bored
rira

Postby cokedrinker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:30 pm

My advice to aspiring architects would be to jump on the riba presidents medals website (http://www.presidentsmedals.com) and look at the work produced by the students from the different universities within the UK and Ireland and the decide what university you wish to attend. Your design tutors will have a massive impact on your architectural language.

Examples:

UCD
http://www.presidentsmedals.com/Projectdetails.aspx?student_id=0&proj_id=1822&year=2006
http://www.presidentsmedals.com/Projectdetails.aspx?student_id=0&proj_id=1824&year=2006

Bartlett, London (This place is the business)
http://www.presidentsmedals.com/Projectdetails.aspx?student_id=0&proj_id=1663&year=2005

University of Lincoln
http://www.presidentsmedals.com/Projectdetails.aspx?student_id=0&proj_id=1936&year=2006
http://www.presidentsmedals.com/Projectdetails.aspx?student_id=0&proj_id=1592&year=2004

I attended Lincoln for a 1 year addon to my AT degree, and to receive my BA. My original intention was to head back to queens for BArch... However, i kinda liked the design methods of a couple of the tutors and the BArch students work, decided to stay, and currently finishing my final year here. It is more digital design and experimenting with different techniques and technologies which i doubt i would have been allowed to progress with at queens.

Im tryin to find more examples from UCD, DIT and Queens, but theres so much from every year to browse through. Look through the different styles, decide what you're into and take it from there.

Im pretty sure i would have crapped myself at an architectural interview at 17. I was clueless about architecture when i left school.
cokedrinker

Postby rira » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:06 pm

You won't find DIT or any other universities in the Republic there, they're not affiliated with the RIBA
rira

Postby cokedrinker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:59 pm

Why do UCD submit some of their students for the award? Other random schools from around the world seem to appear on it also... i don't understand it
cokedrinker

Postby rira » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:25 pm

Because UCD are accredited by RIAI an RIBA, I'm assuming the other random schools are too. It's a competition for RIBA accredited schools
rira

Postby PTB » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:36 pm

Its too late for the UCAS now. The deadline was back at the start of January
PTB

Postby fiachra17 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:10 pm

And can i ask is there a word count on the personal statement or do you just as much as you can on yourself and your interests in the half hour?
fiachra17

Postby lettuce » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:38 am

em . . . fairly sure that there is no word limit. i've talked to a couple of people who are now doing the course and none of them mentioned a word limit specifically.

however they did warn me against writing merely about buildings you like and how you became interested in architecture and why you think you would be great at it. instead talk about yourself, it is a 'personal statement' focusing on hobbies, talents and personality.

cheers everyone for posting keep em coming, aptitude tests are only a week away!
lettuce

Postby rira » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:27 pm

Yeah, no word limit, you get about 4 A4 pages but I'm sure that you can ask for more. Just keep writing!
rira

Postby fiachra17 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 pm

and to anyone already in the course im assuming that the results of your sutabilty test arent given to you or are they?!
fiachra17

Postby rira » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:16 pm

Sorry double posted!
rira

Postby rira » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:17 pm

Your results are posted to you about 2 weeks before the interview as far as I remember, about the end of April? not sure

You will be given your mark regardless of being invited for interview or not. The pass grade is based on the top couple of hundred so it changes from year to year
rira

Postby ruskin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:05 pm

How long does the suitability test last?
ruskin

Postby rira » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:54 pm

As far as I remeber it was pretty long, maybe 3 or 4 hours

Try calling the department for more specific details

Aileen Mullane
School Secretary
Phone: 402 3690
Email: aileen.mullane@dit.ie
rira

Postby ruskin » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:15 pm

How hard is the pattern thing in the suitability test? whats the nearest site on the net to the stuff in it?
ruskin

Postby rira » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:52 pm

http://www.practicetests.co.uk/Launchtest.asp#

Abstract Resoning 1 & 2 are pretty on the ball
rira

Postby ruskin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:26 pm

roughly how many people do they invite to the interview after the suitability test?
ruskin

Next

Return to World Architecture