Is there a big difference between architecture schools?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Is there a big difference between architecture schools?

Postby Zygnoth » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:23 pm

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is a big difference between architecture schools. I have read various posts regarding league tables and people giving opinions on various Irish schools.

I am particularily interested in the more practical aspects of architecture and I was thinking that surely some schools must take a more artistic approach and others would take a more practical approach to architecture. Can anyone explain differences between some of the major schools in the British Isles, e.g. DIT, AA, Barlett, UCD, Sheffield, Cambridge, Liverpool?

I'm thinking of applying next year (I'll be 22) and I'm trying to get a heads up so I can figure out my summer plan (probably try to start on an interview portfolio).

Any thoughts would be mightily appreciated.

Z
Zygnoth

Re: Is there a big difference between architecture schools?

Postby experiMental » Mon May 08, 2006 4:53 pm

I found out the differences between various arch schools by looking at their prospectus on the internet - I just looked at the subjects that were taught in the schools. That gave me a very vague impression whether tsome schools were more technically or artistically oriented.

Btw, zygnoth, what do you mean by "practical aspects" of architecture? The thing is, every aspect of architecture is practical in my opinion - even such trivial things as the paint finish of a part of a building.
experiMental

Postby Ash21 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:11 pm

I think DIT is meant to be the most practical by far!! I've only been there a year but they have classes in trades which hardly any colleges have, and no major studio project is completed without a scale model.Its a bit of an all round DIY course!! I believe UCD is much more theory based course.
Ash21

Postby experiMental » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:32 pm

some student from UCD mentioned that
We have set lectures on building technology, environmemtal science, and structures. We have technical sessions once a week in the building workshop where we get our hands dirty with brickwork, plumbing, joinery etc. There are also technical workshops once a week where we work out the constructional details of our design and complete working drawings. The technical knowlege is built up gradually over the three years but in third year in particular every project must be worked to the last detail in order to be constructed. This is with the aim of making us more employable.

So UCD arch. course also seems to have a practical element.
experiMental

Postby lorkel » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:23 pm

Architecture at DIT tends to be quite hands-on. Most of the staff are practising architects outside of Bolton Street and additional external architects are brought in for critiques. 1st year is a very interesting, learning curve and it really tests many students motivation & abilities. The studio briefs are usually given some sort of a twist to make them more realistic - for example in past years, one of the 1st year studio projects was to design & build a shelter for a homeless person using a recycled material --- the catch was that the students then had to camp out for the night in their completed designs & of course some students were quickly able to identify flaws in their work!!!! Last year, this project was replaced by the "inhabitable form" or cardboard furniture as it turned out & students had to firstly go out to local businesses & collect cardboard & then make a scale model 1:5, followed by a scale 1:1 model (no glue allowed) which were then tested by staff & an external architect!!!

Other projects included designing a performance space for Donal Lunny (the Irish Trad. musician) who then visited the college for the critiques, a creche and animal enclosures for Dublin Zoo (following a site visit to the zoo & a meeting with zoo staff) -- the end of year project was to design a house in Dalkey suitable for a DJ & the year was divided into groups working on different sites with each individual coming up with their own design in response to their site.

Academic subjects include: Theory of Arch (lectures given by Head of Dept), Civilisation Studies, Environmental Science, Mechanics & Structures (lecturer is a qualified engineer), Maths & Statistics, Design Technology (the practical side of building - construction details, materials, etc) and Computers

Graphic Communications is another practical subject which is similar to art for Leaving Cert. with various assignments exploring different elements of design & presentation!

The college is located across the road from the Trades Block - where FAS apprentices are trained in various trades & as a result, there are many opportunities to learn more about the different trades people that you will encounter once you go out on site.

However the highlight of each year, has to be the class trip abroad to look at the architecture of different European cities - 1st year trip for 2005 was to Barcelona --- a fantastic learning opportunity for all involved!!!:)
lorkel

Postby Bren88 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:01 pm

lorkel wrote:Academic subjects include: Theory of Arch (lectures given by Head of Dept), Civilisation Studies, Environmental Science, Mechanics & Structures (lecturer is a qualified engineer), Maths & Statistics, Design Technology (the practical side of building - construction details, materials, etc) and Computers

Depending on which on the two structures lecturers you are refering to, some people will argue the use of quailifed as a good discription. I'm not going to get personnal in such a public place, but if you are a student of Architecture in bolton street then you should be familar with the issue.
Bren88

Postby arxitekton » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:02 am

Unfortunately there is a huge difference between architecture schools. Knowledge can always be acquired depending on your zeal and general aptitude. But a positive ethos or lack there of, can never be experienced if it doesn't exist. I speak with great sadness of the dilemmas at my university, the University of Technology, Sydney. Our faculty is run by power-hungry sycophants who have no idea how to create a place where we can nurture and test our skills. There is no love, respect or mentorship...just assh*les! They have single-handedly ruined our educational experience.

My suggestion is to look at the subjects taught, interview some of the students, and some of the key lecturers. Afterall, they are the people who will be marking you! If you smell a rat, try another school immediately and don't look back. It's a long haul and you have to get it right!
arxitekton

Postby lorkel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:10 pm

Bren88 wrote:Depending on which on the two structures lecturers you are refering to, some people will argue the use of quailifed as a good discription. I'm not going to get personnal in such a public place, but if you are a student of Architecture in bolton street then you should be familar with the issue.

Hey Bren, I see your point, however, I prefer not to comment on the effectiveness of the teaching methods of different lecturers as I feel that every student will have different opinions on the subject and of course we each have lecturers that we prefer to others. However, I personally feel that as a student, the onus is on myself to try and take from each lecture the knowledge and understanding that I need in order to be successful in my academic career. Of course, some lecturers make this easier than others, however, one cannot blame lecturers for everything and I have found that there are many ways in which one can supplement the information and expertise offered in the college -- eg. contacting architects & engineers who I have found are normally quite forthcoming with their advice, by attending the additional lectures offered by the AAI and the RIAI, by getting in touch with fellow students in different schools of architecture around Europe - this can be done via http://www.archi-students.org and by going to the library and getting the information yourself!!!
lorkel

Postby Bren88 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:22 pm

Afraid you missed my point, you'll probably hear about it in second year. The reasons why certain titles were taken away from a lecturer.
Bren88

Return to World Architecture