SUSTAINABLE Infrastructure and community designe

World architecture... what's happening generally....

SUSTAINABLE Infrastructure and community designe

Postby George Schrader » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:07 am

I have been for decades privately considering the design and visional accomplishment of a sustainable community. That interest has led to the discovery of a little known transportation design called integrated transport. A unique concept of accomplishing transport using a system of elevated guideways, while employing electric motors, which on individually demand, will automatedly transport anything one would care to attach to them.

The conceptual design derived in the mid 70's appears to be firmly grounded in the practical application of known structural and technological applications. The capability of accomplishment is known and its costs and benefits can be reasonably figured. In my own attempt to establish the values which may be at work in investment and revenues. Surprisingly suggest, that an implementation can be readily recognized by investors as being lucratively profitable. And it is this promise of being lucratively profitable which leaves me to believe that an implementation can then be accomplished.

Yet there seems to be no awareness that such an opportunity for a great and positive change even exists.
In a long and studied survey. An implementation suggest the ability to incrementally revolutionize our human abilities in our pursuits of social, economic, environmental and ecological well-beings. Producing a prolonged and extended period of unprecedented increased wellbeing.

I personally have absolutely no doubt about our long past ability to construct elevated beams and to reliably move "individual" items with electric motors. What I do doubt is our societies understanding of what it would mean to accomplish "automated transport" in such an unprecedented efficiency, speed, economy, safety, ease of use and convenience. Although it is useless, I do possess a lengthy technological report which shows this precise ability in 1950's applications. I can only reason that an implementation has not be accomplished out of the political objections who are concerned with maintaining the reliability of investments and markets which are currently in place. All things of course who will be eventually impacted by such a large change. Though I believe a misconception exists. As an implementation period would be incremental and terribly lengthy lasting at least several decades. Long beyond the investment lifespans of today's processes. There seem to be not one but a large number of numerous exponentially increased abilities.

And then. Its not just a new transport system whose near lack of energy and resource consumptions will leave transports cost only relative to that profitable provision of a network of permanent 100 year structure. But we will also have achieved a interconnected network of structure whose controlled environment can be made available for the new use of those remaining distribution infrastructures. :D I am intrigued to think of what other technological applications can be applied to these other infrastructures when integrated into this closed structured environment.

Would we still lose a percentage to electric transmission losses?
I think humanity is and has been standing at the edge of taking a evolutionary step in the management of its infrstructural processes. That there is a long awaited infrstructural revolution that only needed tro be recognized and acted on for all the neormous well-being it will bring.

I am reasonably certain that public funding is a impossibility. However considering the lucrative profit. I would like to believe that a private implementation is possible.

It would seem that a community could be designed around an implementation. Such a community would possess unprecedented social and economic freedoms and increased abilities. The cost of the systems implementation is lucrative being very comparable to normal infrastructure cost. The concept merley reorganizes the material into a vastly more efficient form which takes the fullest advantage of current technological abilities.. The creation of a new community on rural property could easily be supported by the exponentially increased land values.

Is this kind of development a practical thought. Or am I just deluding myself into believing there is hope for the great change needed. :confused:
George Schrader

Re: SUSTAINABLE Infrastructure and community designe

Postby Frank Taylor » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Is this what you're thinking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_rapid_transit

There are advocacy groups in the US and you could join one of them if you so wished.
Frank Taylor

Postby George Schrader » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:44 pm

I am very familiar with PRT designs. Unfortunately they do not mesh well with in place systems. Merely augmenting not actually replacing them. Leaving highways in place to satisfy commerical and military demands.

My initial interest with exploring alternative transportation designs was to resolve the fragmentation of habitat caused by at grade systems. The fragmentation is simply not acceptable for maintaining ecological diversity..

This conceptual design promises to not only resolve the large ecological and environmental problems but too largely and directly enhances human abilities with removing the bulk of energy and resource consumptions while increasing speeds ease of use and convenience.

InTranSys

http://personalpages.tds.net/~cimarron/left%20index.html
George Schrader

Postby Frank Taylor » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:10 am

George Schrader wrote:I am very familiar with PRT designs. Unfortunately they do not mesh well with in place systems. Merely augmenting not actually replacing them. Leaving highways in place to satisfy commerical and military demands.
To me it looks very like a PRT system only with much larger pods/carriages. It is designed to allow people to drive on and drive off which sounds like the diet where you eat whipped cream and chocolate- appealing but improbable.

My initial interest with exploring alternative transportation designs was to resolve the fragmentation of habitat caused by at grade systems. The fragmentation is simply not acceptable for maintaining ecological diversity..
Do you mean that at-grade junctions prevent people from walking around the place freely?

I think I spotted somewhere on your web site that this system could transport 1,000,000 passengers per direction per hour. Can you explain how 1,000,000 people in their cars are going to be carried by this system past a point in one hour?
Frank Taylor

Postby George Schrader » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:11 am

I am not affiliated with the web site although I have spoke at length with the promoter of the design.

The InTranSys is merely a conceptual design employing little more than decades old structural and technological applications. I find the concept as most interesting. The InTranSys concept essentially calls for replacing today's at grade systems with a permanent network of mostly elevated structure which supports the transport of all existing vehicles and accomplishes it utilizing a system of electric carriers.

The real difference is its integration of electrical power and the structures provision of a fixed and rigidly controlled environment. And it is the co-joining of this controlled pathway and the precise ability to regulate and control electric propulsion, that delivers a large number of nearly exponentially increased abilities.

The system demonstrates the ability to reliably accomplish the automated transport of anything that can be attached to the carriers. Be it a car, truck, bus, or cargo container. Therefore an implementation is highly transitional as it may accommodate all the existing vehicles. Lending to them the greater option of also choosing public and commercial vehicles. In an increased speed, unprecedented safety and with greater ease of use and convenience.

There are some truly amazing things that will happen when transport is automated and the vehicles are rigidly fixed to a controlled pathway. Today's systems are seriously hampered because of the safety redundancies built in to today's systems because of the need to account for human error and environmental changes. Reaction zones space the using vehicles and slow speeds. The fixed rigid pathway and the lightning speed of electrical signals will allow a dramatic increase to be achieved in the flow rate capacities of a lane. The combination of closing the distances between vehicles and the increased speeds is very capable of exponentially increasing a lanes flow rate capacities.

This ability to exponentially increase a lanes flow rate capacity. Suggest to me the ability to dramatically reduce the amount of required structure. Though the structural cost of this elevated lane (all beam) no surface pavements is about twice the cost of a conventional lane. Automation and the higher speeds will allow it to replace 10 lanes of conventional pavement with out requiring sole use of property. In my own research of highway costs. I learned that 1/2 the funding for highways is purely devoted to surface repavement and adding additional lanes. Two issues of large energy and resource consumptions and costs that this system does not even encounter. Another large benefit is that it is already in an elevated and grade separated form. The cost for elevating today's highways is exponentially greater than at grade costs. The structural provision is limited purely to that which works entirely to support vehicle weight. No paved surfaces and no additional support.

The amount of structure suggest itself to be seriously reduced which lacks maintenance and achieves an exponentially increased 100 year lifespan. That is not a small difference. That is a very large difference in structural necessity and maintenances. All significant cost factors who do play a large role in determining the abilities in social and economic processes.

I suppose that why I get so excited about envisioning such a change in transport processes. Not only can the bulk of transports structure, be removed, but nearly all of its energy and resource consumptions can also be visionaly removed. Electric motors are known to be 97% more energy efficient. Reducing transports energy and resource consumptions to but 3% of today's levels is not a dream but a practical application of known and proven structural and technological abilities.

I am very excited to think that transports cost can be held to the profitable provision of a permanent network of a long lived connected structure which in turn can be divided by an exponentially increased user rate. As this suggest to me that transports cost can easily become so negligible that the average person will be able to afford both the time and cost to travel globally.

However. As best I can figure it. The surest way to speedily accomplish a beginning implementation seems to be in a land development scheme. Where in a new community is designed around the benefits of being connected with such a revolutionary infrastructural system. I envision golf cart communities whose public and commercial aspects would be on line.

And it is this new communities design which intrigues me. As what would it mean to be connected to such a infrastructural system? What exactly would such a community be like? Who would want to participate in its design and development? As these are the people and investors which need to be aware that such an opportunity even exists. As they are the ones who will make it a reality. But who are they?
George Schrader

Return to World Architecture