Urville

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Urville

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:36 pm

Gilles Tréhin, an autistic gentleman who lives in Cagnes sure Mer, France, has designed an incredibly detailed city that exists only inside his head. He first conceived of the city, called Urville, in 1984, and began to construct a scale model out of LEGOs. In 1986, he says, he "realised that I could expand the city in my mind without necessarily building it in Lego bricks." Tréhin's Web site is filled with drawings of the city, historical and cultural information, data about Urville's economy, and some sociological insights on its population.

http://urville.com/
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Re: Urville

Postby phil » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:33 pm

Thanks for posting that Paul. It is very interesting.

Phil
phil
Old Master

Postby a boyle » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:22 pm

wow! sim city meets pimp my brain.
a boyle

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:04 pm

I know there are countless examples of imaginary cities, but this story reminded me specifically of one I read about a few years ago- Yield To Total Elation. The attached files are scans from a San Francisco journal called dodge city journal, about which I can find no info on-line- presumably it was fairly short-lived. I have a copy of the issue (Vol.1, Issue 3) from which these scans came. (Copyright, I presume, of Bonnie Grossman / The Ames Gallery, Berkeley, CA.)

I've put them in as links out of consideration for our dial-up friends;) :
YTTE Text
YTTE Plan
ctesiphon
Old Master

Return to World Architecture