CONSTRUCTION MANAGERS: BOVIS LEND LEASE
ARCHITECT: KOHN PEDERSON FOX
CIVIL AND STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS: ARUP STRUCTURES
COST CONSULTANTS: DAVIS LANGDON
100 VICTORIA EMBANKMENT, EC4
SAT 1PM-5PM / SUN 10AM-1PM
FIRST COME BASIS, QUEUING IS NECESSARY. LAST ENTRY 15 MINS BEFORE CLOSE.
OPPORTUNITY TO PREVIEW THIS LANDMARK CURVED GRADE II LISTED BUILDING
WHICH IS BEING TRANSFORMED TO GIVE IT A NEW LEASE OF LIFE.
THAMES ROOM AND FACADE CONSTRUCTION PLUS OTHER AREAS UNDER
TRANSFORMATION ON SITE - AVAILABLE TO VIEW BY WALKING THROUGH
MANNED SAFE WALKING ROUTE.
D: DISABLED ACCESS, Q: QUEUES LIKELY
London property developers Stanhope and global construction
managers Bovis Lend Lease have joined forces to transform Unilever
House. Their partnership will refurbish the historic building over two
years, completing works in early 2007.
The site of Unilever House is overlapped on the north side by the
original location of Henry VIIIâ€™s Bridewell Palace, built in 1515-1520,
as the Royal Apartments in Whitehall were destroyed by fire. It has
also been the site of the De Keyser Royal Hotel that provided
accommodation to Victorian London from 1875, and it is from this
institution that Lord Leverhulme leased the site to build his London
headquarters. He commissioned the construction of Unilever House
Contrasting architects collaborated in the design and execution of the
original building. The exterior and the overall planning of the building
are credited to James Lomax-Simpson in collaboration with the firm of
Sir John Burnet and Partners. Burnet was nearing the end of his
career but his young partner, Thomas Tait, was to establish himself as
a leading proponent of 1930s modernism. It appears that the relative
conservatism of the exterior came from Lomax-Simpson, while the
modern feel to the construction details stems from Burnet and Taitâ€™s
familiarity with the latest techniques in office construction at the time.
The redevelopment of Unilever House will create a modern working
environment and provide over 23,000 sqm of flexible open work space.
The aim is to revive and celebrate the building heritage and original
architectural features whilst transforming the interior into an effective
work place. Symbolically, the original Victoria Embankment entrance is
being re-opened as the main entrance to the building. The
redevelopment also improves the sight line view of St Paulâ€™s Cathedral
from Waterloo Bridge and South Bank by removing much of the rooftop
plant and machinery.
Unilever, the client, have emphasized and supported the Unilever
House redevelopment teamâ€™s commitment to sustainable development
and detailed recycling programme that encompass all facets of the
* Weâ€™re aiming to recycle and re-use 95% of materials and equipment from carpet tiles to
* The site office and restaurant are furnished with the desks, shelving and kitchen from
* Much of the furniture and equipment were donated to local London schools and charities
* Up to 5000 m2 of original parquet flooring is being re-used
* Over 6000 tonnes of steel was removed during deconstruction and has been recycled
* Over 17000 m3 of concrete was removed during deconstruction and has been recycled
* As at summer 2005 we have recycled 88% of materials from the site
* Deliveries to site are consolidated in South East London to cut down the number of
vehicles required, reducing pollution
* The waste compactor from Unilever House has been installed at the Consolidation centre
* Packaging materials used for the new Unilever building are being recycled
* Site office paper is recycled
* Waste minimisation training is encouraged for all workers on site
* 100% recycled concrete blocks are being used for the basement walls
* Construction materials are being sourced locally wherever possible to promote local
trade and reduce long haul transportation
* Timber purchased for the project is from sustainable managed sources and FSC certified
The project commenced in October 2004.
I had a site visit yesterday and would have to say that the progress has been very impressive