Simple question on drawing cross-sections

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Simple question on drawing cross-sections

Postby bricktop » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Hello all,

I have question about drawing notations which some of you can hopefully answer.

I'm doing a project to build an extension to the rear of my house and a porch to the front. Both extensions are quite straight forward and as a result I'm drawing the plans myself. I have completed most of the required elevations but I'm a little unsure about the cross-section drawings.

I have studied a number of designs of other building projects which friends and neighbors have built and I have applied much of the formats and terminology found within those designs to my own.

I have a question with regard to how cross-sections of building are drawn however. Many of the plans I've seen have a cross-section of the house labelled as "section A-A". If I wanted to do two cross-section drawings, one for the rear extension and another for the porch, would the second cross-section be called "section A-B" or "section B-B"?

What is the notation that these cross-sctions use?

(Drawing both extensions within one cross-section would be ugly)

I hope some of you can help.

Regards
DM
bricktop

Re: Simple question on drawing cross-sections

Postby Spanky » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:40 pm

The section A-A etc. notation comes from the section marks you draw on the plan. In other words, "Section A-A" means, this is the section from marker A to the other marker A and so on.

You would only title the drawing "Section A-A" if the whole section took up the drawing. You can draw as many on a sheet as you like.

You decide where each section stops and starts.
Spanky

Postby Bren88 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:52 am

I think you kinda shyed away from the point there Spanky, I don't think he was asking what should the title of the whole drawing be, but rather how he should label the second section.
It is really up to choice of the person, there is no rule that the first one has to be Section A-A, one could use any letters they like. But you wouldn't use A-B, B-B is the correct label.

As for you point about two setions on in one looking ugly. The main purpose of these drawings is to convey information not to look pretty, two drawings in one in more functional sometimes.
Bren88

Postby bricktop » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:47 am

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate it.

Bren88 wrote:As for you point about two setions on in one looking ugly. The main purpose of these drawings is to convey information not to look pretty, two drawings in one in more functional sometimes.

With regard to putting both cross-sections on the one drawing:
It would look ugly because the extension and the porch are not on the same building line and on the plan view It would have to be represented as a diagonal across the whole building. In any of the other plans I've looked at, all the cross-sections are done at right-angles. I am most likely wrong in this opinion but I think such a cross-section looks amateurish.
bricktop

Postby Bren88 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:44 am

Well you are both right and wrong, you are right that a diagonal cross section is wrong. It completely is, all the horizontal dimension would be increased. But sometimes when the two required sections are not on the same level on plan, the section line is adjusted, but still remains at right angles. For example, say the section through te porch is 1 metre higher than the one through the extension. The section line passes horizontally through the porch, then when in an area where nothing is being draw, it goes down 1 metre and then passes horizontally through the extension. It is really two section lines with one label and drawing

BUT that would only be used when it is 100% essential that both section are drawn together. In your situation it is by no means required. And may slightly be confusing.

So draw two sections and label them Section A-A, and Section B-B
Bren88

Return to World Architecture