FAQ: in your opinion which city, worldwide, has the best architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

FAQ: in your opinion which city, worldwide, has the best architecture

Postby dzineminded » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 pm

This is most likely the most asked question on a world architecture forum but here she is... in your opinion which city, worldwide, has the best architecture. My idea of best is to have the most quality and quantity of architecture. I will have to ask that you provide a three part answer: which has the best contemporary, historical, and overall architecture. I am looking to plan my first trip off american soil and would like to be pointed in the right direction. That is unless someone is bold enough to say the americas have the best architecture.
dzineminded

Re: Faq

Postby JPD » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:55 am

What are you after?
JPD

Postby MatB » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:41 am

Paris, London, Barcelona.......
MatB

Postby altuistic » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:01 pm

I have seen this question askd many times and it is one most difficult to answer becvause it is always followed by that other question 'what are you looking for?' should we judge the ideals of european architecture with that of the middle east? Irish with italian? Chinese with Canadian? Gothic with Baroque?

i have been lucky to travel many places in my life, the USA extensively. Though i've tried, i have rarely warmed to American citys. Yet 4 continully spring to mind when i think of good architecture - New York San Francisco New Orleans and to a lesser extent Chicago. The first 3 regarding mostly earlier styles with the latter being generally for the contemporary.

However of European cities which i have always felt are more diverse and rich i would agree Paris Barcelona and for me perhaps Vienna.
altuistic

Postby shwan » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:38 pm

That's a very subjective question.
shwan

Re: FAQ: in your opinion which city, worldwide, has the best architecture

Postby fergalr » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:45 pm

I would recommend Vienna.
fergalr

Return to World Architecture