Death by architecture

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Death by architecture

Postby modular man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:11 am

Interesting thing happened to me this weekend. I was in Marseilles and had the pleasure of staying in the hotel part of Le Corbusier’s Unite d’habitation. As I was leaving, a large chunk of concrete fell from the entrance Canopy from a height of about ten metres and landed about one foot away from me. Has anybody else ever nearly been killed by icons of modern architecture?
modular man

Re: Death by architecture

Postby sw101 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:36 pm

other than wanting to claw my eyes out when i see anything by sam stephenson, no.
sw101

Postby Hugh » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:38 pm

The building clearly thought you were MODULOR Man - turning on its own creator - unprecedented in architecture.

A large, heavy and sharp window recently fell from Foster's Gherkin in the City of London but luckily there was nobody down below to receive it.
Hugh

Postby helloinsane » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:52 am

I very nearly walked happily into a fifteen foot drop at not one but TWO of Siza's buildings in Porto. Nice and all as it must be to be able to omit guardrails due to local building regs, one can't help but feel they might possibly serve a useful purpose.
helloinsane

Postby Shad_23 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:37 am

I wonder if that's apart of the feeling the designers wanted to incorperate in each of those designs?
If it was I think we should all give them a round of applause.. but I'm extremely sorry that some of you had to go through that.
Shad_23

Return to World Architecture