Renzo Piano - Zentrum Paul Klee

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Renzo Piano - Zentrum Paul Klee

Postby artarch » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:06 pm

Zentrum Paul Klee / Paul Klee Center recently opened in Berne. Renzo Piano and his team (always credit the team :) ) did a magnificent job. If you have the chance it is more than worth a visit to Switzerland.

Here's an article about the Zentrum Paul Klee with a little on the architect towards the end.

Zentrum
artarch

Re: Renzo Piano - Zentrum Paul Klee

Postby Hugh » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:24 pm

This is the place in question...
Attachments
KleeCenter_01a.jpg
KleeCenter_01a.jpg (114.18 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Hugh

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:05 pm

Form defeats function: Renzo Piano's Paul Klee Centre, Switzerland.

I used to think that Renzo Piano was the best international architect in the world. He was not in-your-face showy, like Frank Gehry. Not in thrall to technology, like his old chum Richard Rogers. Not puritanical, like Norman Foster. In fact, Piano, a genial polyglot Italian seemingly at home anywhere from Polynesia to the United States, has no house style at all. That is part of his appeal: every building starts from first principles. But I think he is going soft. What on earth is he up to at the new Paul Klee Centre outside Bern in Switzerland?

http://www.hughpearman.com/articles5/klee.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby dzineminded » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:10 pm

I think that Renzo Piano still is the best international architect. I think that the lack of analysis is taken a bit too seriously. This is not a great, epic project that Renzo is counting on to strengthen his business. This project is rather a opportunity to develop some ideas without the high profile. The structure is in a somewhat remote location and is to house the works of primarily one artist. Galleries are a fun project to begin with and I believe that is what renzo wanted this to be. His analogy to the rolling hills and the play between the ground plane is a strong statement in itself. Yet, it does lack the analysis and input that is usually present in his work. I would not totally discount this project and would keep in mind that every architect is allowed a pet project that is low profile and not intent on making a personal design statement. My 2 cents.
dzineminded

Postby sw101 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:59 am

it's not possible to for a designer like piano to do a low profile project.

small scale and isolation do not an invisible building make. look at the maggies centre schemes for example.

piano (or at leat his minions) made a balls of this scheme it would seem. i'll reserve final judgement until i see it next time i'm in switzerland, but hugh seems to have good reason to attack it. a good idea by a good architect that went wrong in development and just doesn't work as it should.
sw101

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:18 pm

Switzerland's beguiling Paul Klee centre finds Renzo Piano at his dazzling best, writes Jonathan Glancey
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,1517425,00.html

So maybe we need Julian to join us here to argue it out with Hugh,,,,

Okay, I haven't actually experienced the building but looking at photographs, I don't like it much. The feature that I do like is the intersections between the horizontal volume and the wave forms, but I don't like the "overly beamy" (new word just coined) elevations. They're too heavy for my tastes - in bare concrete, they would look like some fabulous piece of engineering expressionism from the 1920s or 30s, now they just look ungainly.

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Hugh » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:00 am

Renzo will charm the birds out of the trees. He will charm your pants off you. If you talk for more than five seconds to Renzo, he has got you eating out of his hand. It's best to keep well away from him and just look hard at the building. Then you start to notice the deficiencies.
Hugh

Return to World Architecture