Shoo-in for Miralles?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Shoo-in for Miralles?

Postby Hugh » Thu May 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Early blather about this autumn's Stirling Prize suggests that it's for the Miralles Scottish Parliament to lose. The ceremony is being broadcast from Edinburgh, which is possibly a bit of a hint.

Anyone out there favour an alternative, and if so, what?
Hugh

Re: Shoo-in for Miralles?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu May 12, 2005 5:19 pm

ahhh there must be a chipper in glasgae that alan would prefer to win..... ;)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby alan d » Mon May 16, 2005 10:10 am

Nah Paul, no hard feelings our end.

How could there be, there is'nt a person involved in this project that has'nt been pulled through the wringer. The last victim was Brian Stewart who headed the RMJM team and who has mysteriously "left" the practice. .

I really can't think of what could rival the Parliament for the Stirling, it would take a pretty tough minded set of judges to knock it back, frankly. Although there are some darn good chippers in Glasgow right enough........"deep fried mars bar ,anyone?"
alan d

Postby Hugh » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:48 am

Likeliest contenders for the Stirling, according to gossip at the RIBA awards last Fri. In no particular order:

Scottish Parliament - Miralles/RMJM;
Millau Viaduct: Foster.
McLaren HQ: Foster.
BMW Leipzig: Zaha Hadid.
Hugh

Postby alan d » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:57 am

Parliament can't win, if the images of the McLaren Headquarters published reflect the reality.

Too many needlessly complicated details not fully resolved, in my view. Also the Millau Viaduct looks amazing but hey it's another bridge.

I think the architectural establishment are just itching to give it to Hadid, myself. I'd say she's the favourite
alan d

Postby alan d » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:22 pm

amazing really how attitudes ( mine ) change eh? from the 16th May til now. In the middle of May there just did'nt seem to be anything around to rival a symbol of a nation, but bugger me....where did these other projects spring from? Need to get out more obviously

Dark horses are for me: (not ) the big project

Hampshire Council Library
Nial McLaughlin's House
John Mcaslan's Max Mara Headquarters
alan d

Postby alan d » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:30 am

Well that's bloody floored everyone. eh?

By the way what happened to the school by De Rijke Marsh Morgan...thought that was being tipped for greatness?
alan d

Postby modular man » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:03 am

I think its gotta be Zaha for the Stirling prize.
Cant see Foster (or another bridge) winning this year.
modular man

Postby trace » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:45 pm

Don't write off the Glucksman, not when the awards jury had this to say: "What is really remarkable about this university art gallery is that the more one looks, the better it gets. That is the sign of complete assurance and maturity. What most artists do is to make simple things complex; great artists make complex things appear simple. This is one of the rare buildings that fits that definition of greatness."
trace

Postby what? » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:30 pm

i agree, i think the glucksman will be on the shortlist at least.
what?

Postby alan d » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:53 pm

never really considered this important before when judging candidates for architectural prizes but published, for the first time I've been aware, in this weeks AJ are the cost of the RIBA Award buildings against their m2.

Some of the budgets available are staggering.....no wonder theyre up for major awards.

God, for once to have a decent budget.................. that would be bloody brilliant .

Hey while we're at it ................. Design and Build, Just Say No
alan d

Postby what? » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:55 pm

right, shortlist for Striling. Bets down:

I say, Scottish Parliment
Foster's Bridge
Zaha BMW Plant
O Donnell Tuomey, Glucksman

I think theres usually five?

not sure about no five, any suggestions apart from Fosters McLaren HQ? (I dont think it deserves to be on it, seen it all before)
what?

Postby alan d » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:10 pm

Norwich Cathedral Refectory.

Hopkins Architects
alan d

Postby what? » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:13 pm

agreed, beutifully built aswell. its a contender
what?

Postby Hugh » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:09 pm

Foster's people seem pretty gung-ho about McLaren...

Hopkins' Norwich Cathedral building looks great in pix - haven't seen it in actuality yet but Hopkins is definitely back on form these days...

...and yes, forgot to mention earlier that there's a strong groundswell in favour of O'Donnell and Tuomey's library. Those who have seen it return starry-eyed.

O'D and T are just such very good architects - would be wonderful if they could see off the big boys to win.
Hugh

Postby alan d » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:34 am

nerves frayed, not far off now...........good article about O'Donnell Tuomey in RIBA Journal.

Seemingly recognition in England is what they crave
http://www.ribajournal.com/story.asp?sectioncode=0&storyCode=3056458

I think they need to lighten up a bit more, always look so damn gloomy ...................as though they're sitting in damp trousers.
alan d

Postby trace » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:46 am

So funny, Alan, and you're dead right. But they look like a good punt at 5-1, all the same, don't you think? Should put a smile on someone's face, I reckon.
trace

Postby alan d » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:14 am

I met them at the Biennale last year, when everyone was singing their praises about the Irish Pavilion, they looked very hard to please then.....thought they just did'nt feel the need to speak to a scottish architect but hey everytime they're photographed they look pretty unhappy.

Anyway, I am sure now the Parliament won't win the Stirling for the judges must see what everyone else is now seeing that it's a remarkable work in some ways but a pretty flawed one too. It'll be like the Museum of Scotland, a "worthy" second.

I think myself the glucksman will win, though I hav'nt seen it in the flesh, so to speak, I'll be happy about that really, for all their dark and sultry outward appearance O'Donnell and Tuomey have gathered a very impressive portfolio of work , of real rigour and intellect.
alan d

Postby Hugh » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:58 am

So in the end it was indeed a shoo-in for Miralles. Sunday Times report below.

The tenth RIBA Stirling Prize for architecture, worth £20,000, has been won by the controversial £430m Scottish Parliament building, it was announced in Edinburgh on Saturday night.

Although applauded by architecture buffs for its uncompromisingly sculptural, hand-crafted style, the building - designed by Catalan architect Enric Miralles, who died during its construction - has polarised opinion in Scotland. The Parliament went ten times over its original wildly over-optimistic budget and is seen by many as a waste of public money.

A wilful, poetic piece of architecture in which there is scarcely a straight line or a right-angle to be found, the Scottish Parliament sits at the foot of Edinburgh's "Royal Mile" near the royal palace of Holyrood House. It is meant to evoke the Scottish landscape and is decorated with mysterious shapes and symbols.

The buildiing has been doubly unlucky for those most closely involved in it. Not only did its architect die unexpectedly while it was being built, but so did the man who authorised it - the late First Minister Donald Dewar.

Many at the Stirling Prize ceremony at the Museum of Scotland were dismayed that the prize had not gone to the celebrated Zaha Hadid for her £34m BMW factory in Leipzig - a highly theatrical building where an assembly line of part-assembled cars crosses the office atrium on a bridge.

A rival but very different car plant - McLaren Technolgies in Woking, home of the McLaren Formula 1 racing team, designed by Foster and Partners, costing well over £100m - was also shortlisted. Foster has won the Stirling Prize twice previously - including last year for his "Gherkin" office tower in the City of London.

A favourite at the bookies was Brighton's new £14m Jubilee Library by Bennetts Associates with Lomax Cassidy and Edwards. This is a noble new civic building that - a first for the Stirling Prize - emerged from the Government's Private Finance Initiative, often criticised for leading to uninteresting designs.

A previous Stirling winner, Will Alsop, was shortlisted for a highly imaginative nursery school in North London, the £2.3m Fawood Children's Centre.

But most disappointed was the phalanx of architects and critics lined up behind the £7m Lewis Glucksman Gallery in Cork, Ireland, by architects Sheila O'Donnell and John Tuomey. This magical timber-clad tree-house of a university art gallery, designed to sit in an existing park, is widely regarded as being pure, almost perfect architecture. Since O'Donnell and Tuomey used to work in London for the late Sir James Stirling, after whom the Prize is named, this would have been a popular winner. "There is a lot of Stirling in this building," said architect Piers Gough, one of the judges. Another, the veteran arts journalist Joan Bakewell, added: "There's something that's aesthetically satisfying from almost any point of view."

But in the end, politics won the day. In Edinburgh, the prize went to an Edinburgh building over which arguments continue to rage, and whose authors are both dead.
Hugh

Postby Hugh » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:24 pm

Link below is to a quite fascinating page of comments from all and sundry at the ceremony, complied by the AJ.

The mood in the room was strongly for O'Donnell and Tuomey. Possibly the truest comment about the nature of judging and how one judge can browbeat all the others comes from Marco Goldschmiedt talking about Piers Gough. It was certainly Gough who swung it for Miralles.

http://www.ajplus.co.uk/b_bank/search_results_details/?report_ID=6998
Hugh

Return to World Architecture