English student thinking of Architecture diploma in Netherlands

World architecture... what's happening generally....

English student thinking of Architecture diploma in Netherlands

Postby jamesinbelfast » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:14 pm

Goedemorgen!

I'm a BA(Hons) graduate from a British school of architecture, currently on 'post-part-1' professional practice in Northern Ireland. I'm also looking to spend an additional year working in Eastern Canada from this autumn, before returning to my diploma studies in 2006.

I've previously considered taking my diploma in the Netherlands, but I found learning languages at school difficult and would be nervous about joining a course with no Dutch to begin with... Archiprix has helped me indentify the schools, and I've been reading their online prospectuses and info for international students. Of those listed below (have I missed any?) can anyone give me an idea of what sort of charicature each school has in the diploma course. I'm not interested in knowing one is 'best' - that's a pretty useless way to categorise schools, but I'd like to get a feel for which are more conservative, which are more technical, which are more experimental or liberal, and which have the heaviest involvement in activities outside the school.

The Amsterdam School of the Arts
Arnhem Academy of Architecture
Delft University of Technology
Eindhoven University of Technology
Groningen Academy of Architecture
Maastricht Academy of Architecture
Hogeschool Rotterdam
Fontys Academy of Architecture and Urban Design, Tilburg
Wageningen Agricultural University

Also, can anyone relate experiences of going to the Netherlands with only limited Dutch? Which Dutch language courses do you recommend, and is it worth going in advance of the course start date to learn intensively?

Thanks for all your help!

James
Belfast
jamesinbelfast

Return to World Architecture