Libeskind - Breaking Ground

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Libeskind - Breaking Ground

Postby Jas » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:04 pm

Anyone read this? It's a quite interesting, easily read book which I'm about half way through.
Jas

Re: Libeskind - Breaking Ground

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:42 pm

Just finished it - and he's full of shit. Really this is just about self promotion and trying to suggest that there is divine influence / fate in his work.

Two things really pissed me off:

Page 100:
We were crossing the Alpine passes into southern Germany and got turned around. The Bavarian countryside was growing dark, and the map was in the back, so we pulled off the road to get it. As I climbed out of the van, I looked around to orient myself. We were in the middle of a vast open space. Then through the darkness, I saw a mommoth stone structure with a n imposing wrought-iron gate....... then it came to me : This was the Nuremberg stadium....

BOLLOX - its surrounded by the city suburbs - you cannot be lost and there..... oooohhhh dramatic license to suggest fate brought him there.... bollox

Pages 191-201
All that guff trying to make it look like his designs are tapping into some sort of memory and fated to be designed in such a way...

I actually cannot put it into words just how annoying this book is or how much I think he has lowered his own reputation by writing it. He just comes across as a whinger....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Hugh » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:52 pm

I enjoyed it - but you're aware that a ghost writer has been employed to sex it up. Too many neat coincidences.
Hugh

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:03 am

The book is full of neat coincidences....

Don't get me wrong - it's a good story.... but it comes across as a story..... not fact
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to World Architecture