World's most under-rated city

World architecture... what's happening generally....

World's most under-rated city

Postby Hugh » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:23 pm

Just for fun: nominations are invited for the title of World's Most Under-rated City.

We all know about Barcelona, Prague, Paris, Berlin, London, Dublin, New York, LA, Tokyo...not forgetting Winnipeg.

:cool: But what about the ones that aren't overrun with tourists and offer a less obvious kind of architectural charm? Hmmm?

I'll start off with Sao Paulo, Brazil. Filthy air, but a real buzz to it (the city, not the air) , and fine builidngs by Niemeyer and Lina Bo Bardi. But everyone goes to Rio instead.
Hugh

Re: World's most under-rated city

Postby sw101 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:44 pm

napier in new zealand. an art deco mecca. couldn't live there but i found it fascinating to visit.
sw101

Postby memetto » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:19 am

For me a great combination of cultures,histories,believes is Istanbul-Turkey.
You can see the the buildings from Byzantium,Ottoman Empire until now.
I suggest you to see Hagia-Sofia in Sultan Ahmet and Esma Sultan Yalısı in Ortaköy....There are rhe best building that I ever seen....... [img]http://[/img]
memetto

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:33 am

Seeing as I'm still crossing the obvious destinations off my "to go" list, I haven't much to offer this. But I did enjoy Tours in the Loire Valley in France. Around 600,000 inhabitants, remains and buildings from Roman times through to the current day. A very charming yet calm place - seriously considered living there.

http://france.archiseek.com/indre_et_loire/tours/index.html

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to World Architecture